Author Topic: MythTV recordings played through LinuxMCE don't scale to screen (Solved)  (Read 2810 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
I'm now using mythtv full-go, recording 14 hours worth of material per day. The only problem I have not figured out so far is how to get the video to scale to the screen when played through LMCE via the Videos datagrid.

When played through LMCE, the recordings are played in a small box about 2/3rd the size of my screen (in all directions). Even though my screen is a widescreen, and the recorded material as 4:3, it should at least scale so that the video is the full height of the screen. CUrrently, I have to go to Zoom&Aspect->Zoom 120% to fill the screen vertically. It is a real pain to do this each and every time I watch something recorded.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a setting i'm missing?

I'll try to get a picture later tonight when I get home.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:06:18 pm by jondecker76 »

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
I finally have this working how I want it to.

I'm one of those people that prefer 4:3 content stretched to fill a 16:9 screen. By default, any mythtv recording I playback from the datagrid would play back in 4:3 and not fill the entire screen. I would end up having to change the aspect via the UI2 menu for each thing I watched - which got old.

I finally started playing around with recording profiles in MythTV, and with some experimentation I found that mythtv will produce a 16:9 .mpg file from a 4:3 source. All I had to do was enter the setup for the frontend where my capture card was located (the core) by using the TV scenario, and hitting escape while LiveTV was playing. From there I went to Setup->Setup/Utilities->TV Settings->Recording Profiles. Then in the Default profile, I changed the capture resolution to 720x400, and the aspect ratio to 16:9. Now my recordings come back already at a 16:9 ratio so they playback as I want them to in both MythTV and MPlayer, and every other media player I could find.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
And to further this, if you want your LiveTV to always appear in 16:9, adjust the "LiveTV" Recording Profile while you're at it.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Is this working for TV show DVD's ripped to your storage device as well

No, ripped stuff is different. We are talking about recording profiles in MythTV.

When you have stuff ripped, you should be able to adjust the aspect ratio during playback... Green Button > Straight up on the far left menu should be Aspect... from there you can select 16:9, but you have to do that each time you start playing back something.