Author Topic: LMCE\FiOS Design Question  (Read 2513 times)

HerfGuy

• View Profile
LMCE\FiOS Design Question
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:12:40 am »
Hey everyone,

I have been reading the Wiki and watching the video, and reading the user guide, and am very interested in using LMCE to record shows.  I have a question and am having a difficult time in understanding things people have posted in the forums.  Please forgive me if you have already read these sorts of questions before.

1.  I have Verizon FiOS with a Moto QIP-2500 std. def tuner.  I have a std def TV as well.  I would like to make a hybrid dvr, but I see where people already have Homeruns, or the Moto DVR and I am wondering if I need a DVR from Verizon to make this work?  If I do, doesn't having a LMCE box to record shows sort of redundant? 

2.  I am not a TV guru, so please accept my appologies for my lameness on knowing acronyms.  This question pertains to vid capture.  If I currenty have the following setup:  FiOS into my house (using coax cable inside)--> Moto STB --> TV
If i wanna plug my LMCE hybrid in there, can I set the STB to control the DVR and have the Hauppage card NOT do anything other than capture the video stream from the STB.  I suspect that if the STB is used this way, I could put the STB on some channel above 100 and I could record the encrypted channels if that is the case?  Does that make sense?

3.  If LMCE can be set up using that configuration, is that where I'd need those USBUIRT blaster thing to be able to change the channel on the STB at the appropriate time in order to record a show?

It seems sort of abstract since I have no experience in this area.  However, in my defense, my VCR clock does not blink "12:00"!!   :D

Any answers that you all can provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

HerfGuy

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: LMCE\FiOS Design Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:38 am »
The way it's designed to work, is this:

* LinuxMCE can control A/V devices in your setup, including cable boxes.. in the case of cable boxes, this is done typically with infra-red, using a USB UIRT and a Xantech 286 double emitter.....

you connect the cable box directly to your TV and amplifier, as normally.... using the high definition outputs....

then, you connect the low-def outputs (s-video and l/r audio), to tuner card, a PVR-150/250/500/USB2.

MythTV will use the PVR card, and record, if wanted....

you also gain a non-pluto TV source, which talks directly to your cable box, and sends its output directly into the tuner card and out to the TV... any remote presses go to your cable box automatically (this is the first level of A/V control)

if you press Direct A/V in that menu, it will switch inputs on your TV and amplifier as needed, so you get the HD signal from the cable box.. remote presses still go to the cable box, and if a menu needs to be displayed, the inputs will be flipped back to the tuner card.

The hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 will be supported soon as an option here so that HD content can be captured and streamed in this manner.

Also, the HDHomeRun can be used to get OTA HD and in-the-clear QAM channels on your cable box, in great quality.

-Thom

HerfGuy

• View Profile
Re: LMCE\FiOS Design Question
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:13:41 pm »
Thanks Thom,

I will try this setup and get ready for HDTV next year with that H. Card.

Herf

The way it's designed to work, is this:

* LinuxMCE can control A/V devices in your setup, including cable boxes.. in the case of cable boxes, this is done typically with infra-red, using a USB UIRT and a Xantech 286 double emitter.....

you connect the cable box directly to your TV and amplifier, as normally.... using the high definition outputs....

then, you connect the low-def outputs (s-video and l/r audio), to tuner card, a PVR-150/250/500/USB2.

MythTV will use the PVR card, and record, if wanted....

you also gain a non-pluto TV source, which talks directly to your cable box, and sends its output directly into the tuner card and out to the TV... any remote presses go to your cable box automatically (this is the first level of A/V control)

if you press Direct A/V in that menu, it will switch inputs on your TV and amplifier as needed, so you get the HD signal from the cable box.. remote presses still go to the cable box, and if a menu needs to be displayed, the inputs will be flipped back to the tuner card.

The hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 will be supported soon as an option here so that HD content can be captured and streamed in this manner.

Also, the HDHomeRun can be used to get OTA HD and in-the-clear QAM channels on your cable box, in great quality.

-Thom