Author Topic: MythTV and Local Hard Drives in Diskless Media Directors  (Read 5339 times)

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
MythTV and Local Hard Drives in Diskless Media Directors
« on: August 14, 2008, 03:27:48 am »
My tuners are in a diskless boot MD and it has a local hard drive that I would like to store recordings on.  Is there any information on how to do this? 

I have read posts on here and from what I gather I shouldn't mount the drive to the tv_shows_xx directory manually.  How then do I tell the MD to record shows to the local hard drive?

If anyone can help I'll gladly update the wiki with the information.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 04:21:47 am by rdmustang »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV and Local Hard Drives in Diskless Media Directors
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:54:10 am »
first, find the device # for the hard disk belonging to the media director. This is a 2 to 3 digit number right after Internal Disk [xxx]

you then symlink /home/public/data/videos/tv_shows_yy to /home/public/data/videos/Internal HDD [xxx]/tv_shows_yy ... where yy is the device number of your Media Director. This directory will have been created by MythTV Plugin automatically... _IF_ and only _if_ you have set up the tuner in the setup wizard.. if this is not the case.. then... sorry bub, can't help you...get a properly supported tuner card, or make a device template for your tuner card...

-Thom

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 05:01:38 am »
That directory exists (I believe everything is set up properly).  Right now it's storing all the recordings on the core (but my core doesn't have a very big hard drive).

Do I symlink on the core or on the MD (or does it matter)?

Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:03:19 am »
doesn't matter.. /home is transparently mounted as such to the media directors.

-Thom

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 06:26:07 pm »
I created a symlink called tv_shows_30 (moon30 is my MD with the tuners and the hdd) which links to /home/public/data/videos/MythMedia [133]/tv_shows_30 (MythMedia [133] is my raid array in moon30).

The Symlink doesn't persist across reboots.  What is the best way to make it persist in linuxMCE?  Should I create an startup script and if so where do is the best place to put it for a diskless MD?  init.d?

Thanks for the help!

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »
another interesting point to point out when people are looking to change recording directories that I just found out while testing some ideas in the myth_player source code:

You do have some other options for naming conventions. The only requirement is that the path somewhere contains "tv_shows". This is how LMCE determines what recording are new MythTV recordings - if the path contains tv_shows, and there are no attributes set in the database. Failing to abide by this rule, mythtv would still work, but the shows would not be automatically added to the LMCE database and appear in the datagrid. Though, this can be used to one's advantage if they didn't want recorded MythTV shows to appear in the LMCE database.

rdmustang: there is no reason for your symlink to disappear like that - very strange.
Have you changed your front-end settings to point to the new path?

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 06:57:37 pm »
another interesting point to point out when people are looking to change recording directories that I just found out while testing some ideas in the myth_player source code:

You do have some other options for naming conventions. The only requirement is that the path somewhere contains "tv_shows". This is how LMCE determines what recording are new MythTV recordings - if the path contains tv_shows, and there are no attributes set in the database. Failing to abide by this rule, mythtv would still work, but the shows would not be automatically added to the LMCE database and appear in the datagrid. Though, this can be used to one's advantage if they didn't want recorded MythTV shows to appear in the LMCE database.

rdmustang: there is no reason for your symlink to disappear like that - very strange.
Have you changed your front-end settings to point to the new path?

I'm symlink'ing the directory to where the original settings were pointing so I did not update the front end.  I want to ensure that the recordings get added to the LMCE database.

Is this wrong?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:21:08 pm by rdmustang »

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:09:29 pm »
try going to the front end setup and changing the recording path to your new drive and see if that stays persistant

So long as your path contains "tv_shows", things will add to the LMCE database just fine.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 07:20:04 pm »
you can't do that.. MythTV will re-sync the configuration at each router reload. Look in pluto_myth

-Thom

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 09:38:22 pm »
you can't do that.. MythTV will re-sync the configuration at each router reload. Look in pluto_myth

-Thom

Any hints? :)  I found the path /var/lib/mysql/pluto_myth but not much is there.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:41:20 pm »
sorry, pluto_myth is a database, it needs to be looked at inside mysql. Pluto stores its settings to transfer to myth there, I believe.

-Thom