Author Topic: Two NICs, continued  (Read 5415 times)

PetRose

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Two NICs, continued
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:14:15 pm »
Hi folks
As a newbie, reading thru a lot of prereq's of MCE and especially the core component. I haven't found enough detail yet, on the subject of two nic's, although I understand its some sort of a requirement (at a certain level).
But, is it required that both of these nic's are CAT5/Ethernet wired ?
I have thought of using a spare PC with one builtin ETH nic (for Internal network), and supply a USB WiFi adapter for the External network via my WiFi Access Point (for which I disable DHCP).

Is this below the requirements of the MCE core ?

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Two NICs, continued
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:35:12 am »
unfortunately, because often wireless cards have different network interface names than an ethernet card, the software will not be able to detect and set up a wireless card automatically, no matter if it's the internal or external card.

-Thom

PetRose

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:57:22 pm »
Thanks for clarifying

Would it be worthwhile to turn this over to a Request for Functional enhancement ?
I believe it will be a truely big enhancement that will remove the physical barrieres and hopefully catch a even bigger wave with the LMCE audience and potential users.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 02:02:38 am »
BTW - you don't have to turn off your DHCP on your external network, just don't have any other DHCP servers on the dedicated LMCE internal network.

Thom - do you think you might be able to use a udev rule to force the NIC name to eth0?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 02:23:42 am »
maybe.

-Thom

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 01:14:20 pm »
Hi,

I have also not yet found the Info why 2 NIC's are reccomended.
I suppose it is because you can then let the internet router stay as it is (using DHCP) and the MD's get their DHCP from the Core. But are there other reasons ?

I would like to only have one network in my house, so I don't see the reason for the Core having two network cards. If it did I would connect the outside network card to the Internet router and everything else to the internal switch.
With one network I would connect everything to the Internet router/switch and disable the DHCP server in the router. I am familiar with DHCP, PXE boot and TCP/IP so I am sure I can get along with that kind of system.

With one networkcard I would get a Virtual ETH0:1 where DHCP is running, right ? 

Thanks for any feedback :)

Greetings
Christian

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:35:25 pm »
Agreed, saying you can't find the info simply means you haven't done any searches. There are literally hundreds of posts and many wiki articles.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:13 am »
Hi,

OK, I am sorry - now I found it in the Wiki.  Hmm, must have been blind  ::)
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Settings
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Why_dual_network_cards%3F

The problem with searching in the forum is that you indeed get loads of answers and there I did not find the in-deep-answer for my question. Maybe I should have read them _all_ before asking or searched better in the Wiki. Sorry for that folks.

I do understand it is a pain in the a.. answering the same questions over and over again ;) I have also seen this problem very offen in other forums ... And therefore I am allways searching first before asking.

But thanks for leading me to searching the wiki again :)

Greetings
Christian

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:04:41 pm »
unfortunately, because often wireless cards have different network interface names than an ethernet card, the software will not be able to detect and set up a wireless card automatically, no matter if it's the internal or external card.

-Thom

just an FYI.  If you use the cd version to install linuxmce, like I had to with my newest motherboard, and you have the wireless card setup and running on kubuntu first, Linuxmce will pick up the wireless card and use it,

I didnt think it would work, but it did for me. Took a wireless nic  named ra0 and allowed me to make it the external interface during the installation. It worked fine after linuxmce install.