Author Topic: HCL  (Read 20813 times)

pema

• View Profile
HCL
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:53:15 pm »
Hi all,

Can I find a hardware compability list anywhere? I've looked after one but haven't found anything yet.

All help kindly accepted.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: HCL
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:37:31 am »
look on the wiki. I am in the process of designing a hardware database to augment it, but for now, all hardware compatilbility information is on the wiki

-Thom

pema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:10:07 am »
Thank you for the reply!

I've been looking at the wiki but found that there are quite few components compatible to LMCE. For one only three sound cards are mentioned there and all thre are Creative cards and only one is really good. However you can't find it on Creative's web site.

Really looking forward to see your database. Hope all that have information on compatilble hardware share their information.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:07:27 am »
I love it how people "wait" ... nevermind the information that's in the HWDB, will be .. guess what? WHAT'S ALREADY IN THE WIKI!

*hmm*

GET OFF YOUR FUCKING FREE-LOADING ASSES AND HELP!!!!!

Yes, the hardware supported is limited, much moreso than what Linux currently supports... but unless you are willing to help do your own leg-work on supporting more devices, _BUY WHAT'S LISTED IN THE WIKI!_

is that too hard a concept for all of you?! REALLY?!

-Thom

pcbastard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:41:52 am »
Mr High and Mighty,

Do you think your nasty comments help the community?  You probably do more to send people wanting to experience Linuxmce away in droves than any other poster.

You are discouraging, angry, and beligerant.

Maybe you should leave.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:18 am »
Mr High and Mighty,

Do you think your nasty comments help the community?  You probably do more to send people wanting to experience Linuxmce away in droves than any other poster.

You are discouraging, angry, and beligerant.

Maybe you should leave.

Well it's not like you could actually be bothered yourself to answer this crap over and over and over again.  So either get off your high horse, roll up your sleeves and actually help out, or simply shut the fuck up.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

pema

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 03:33:58 pm »
I love it how people "wait" ... nevermind the information that's in the HWDB, will be .. guess what? WHAT'S ALREADY IN THE WIKI!

*hmm*

Yes, the hardware supported is limited, much moreso than what Linux currently supports... but unless you are willing to help do your own leg-work on supporting more devices, _BUY WHAT'S LISTED IN THE WIKI!_

-Thom

Thanks for the nice words,

Checking the Creative web site you soon find that at least one of the sound cards referred to in the wiki isn't supported any more. It is not very good to recommend unsupported hardware for a system you want to be used by many. By your attitude you probably don't.

It seems like you need to find a place to live out your aggressions. Perhaps a boxing gym will lighten you up a little.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 05:37:29 pm »

*hmm*

-Thom

Thanks for the nice words,

Checking the Creative web site you soon find that at least one of the sound cards referred to in the wiki isn't supported any more. It is not very good to recommend unsupported hardware for a system you want to be used by many. By your attitude you probably don't.

It seems like you need to find a place to live out your aggressions. Perhaps a boxing gym will lighten you up a little.

And, did you make a note of that on the device's wiki page? 

No of course not, as that would be useful and take actual effort on your part.  Just keep whining without lifting a finger, it helps... really!  :P
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 06:15:16 pm »
My anger is based consistently on people refusing to help out a _VOLUNTEER STAFFED PROJECT_

I am sorry for the rude outburst, it was purely from frustration... _with that said:_

We do not make money from any of this.

Please read that again, and let it sink in, before reading the rest.

Even though, we do not make ANY money from ANY of this, we are here, every single day, doing the following:

* Working on code
* Answering questions (some of them quite repeatedly, despite the fact that we put them on the FAQ!)
* Working on the Wiki, our vast information source. This one takes up vast amounts of time and energy

Notice I did not say the word _CUSTOMER_ in there, anywhere.

This means:

* You are _NOT ENTITLED_ to any form of support. We do what we can.
* You are _NOT ENTITLED_ to US making sure your hardware works or not. That's your job. If it works, put it up on the wiki. We did it for our hardware.
* You are _NOT ENTITLED_ to US making sure your particular configuration of said hardware works or not. Again, THAT'S YOUR JOB. We document how it's supposed to be configured given the hardware constraints we have. If you have another configuration that works, PUT IT ON THE WIKI.

Notice the lack of entitlement? If you're going to huff off in a storm, please read the next part:

The support given to each of us, comes from each of us. If we can help you, we can. If YOU can help someone, YOU DO IT. That is how community based projects work.

I hope I've made my point.
-Thom

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:22:06 pm by tschak909 »

pcbastard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 06:17:58 am »
Thom,

You are a brilliant programer/linux guru and a very interesting person, but you need to grow up.  There will always be noobs like me.  We are like children, not sure of ourselves, and asking questions in order to learn and gain some level of confidence in this great project so that we can post to the wiki in a competent and complete way.  I would LOVE to contribute some meanful information that others can use, but I am just at the begining.  How can anyone learn if they are afraid of asking "dumb" questions for fear of being bitch-slapped by you and others?

I realize you are fed up with repeated questions about working hardware from everyone, but come on, nobody is directing their questions to you.  Just ignore them.  Keep doing the great work that you are doing and try to keep this place a welcoming one.

Just my opinion.

Leo

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 06:48:32 pm »
Thom,

You are a brilliant programer/linux guru and a very interesting person, but you need to grow up.  There will always be noobs like me.  We are like children, not sure of ourselves, and asking questions in order to learn and gain some level of confidence in this great project so that we can post to the wiki in a competent and complete way.  I would LOVE to contribute some meanful information that others can use, but I am just at the begining.  How can anyone learn if they are afraid of asking "dumb" questions for fear of being bitch-slapped by you and others?

I realize you are fed up with repeated questions about working hardware from everyone, but come on, nobody is directing their questions to you.  Just ignore them.  Keep doing the great work that you are doing and try to keep this place a welcoming one.

Just my opinion.

Leo

Just keep kicking a dead horse will you?
-- Anonymous

pcbastard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 12:51:53 am »
Yup.

Now my legs are tired.  I'll find myself a new horse.

cmoates

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:22:40 pm »
I'm no expert on LMCE (in fact, I'm a KnoppMyth user) however there are certain things I've seen in communities from time to time.

Thom is frustrated with the lack of apparent willingness for users to contribute to the project. A place I can completely identify with. While you might be right that lashing out doesn't help, neither does complaining.

You can be a complete newbie and still post to the wiki that "LMCE version X.Y failed to recognize my [Vendor Name] [Model Name] sound card." It may not seem like it's much help, but it's a start, and remember, nothing in any wiki is ever set in stone. If it's inaccurate, change it later.

You can be a complete newbie and still post to the forums, "I tried to do XYZ and I expected ABC to occur, but instead DEF happened, and that's not desirable. What information do you need from me next?" instead of "XYZ doesn't work, I thought this thing just worked out of the box, what's your problem?"

I've been involved in my fair share of OSS projects as both a developer and as a user. There is absolutely no good that will ever come out of telling someone that their project sucks, or that they don't work fast enough, or that they wish ABC hardware was supported. There are constructive and destructive ways to contribute to a project. Thom contributes far more constructive than destructive. If the same can't be said for you, you need to rethink your position.

bblboy54 posted that he's been working on LMCE for a month, and had problems, and that he would "give feedback into the community" but I see 4 posts, three complaining without any useful detail and one asking for help with a problem. If that problem was ever solved, why isn't there a "SOLVED: problem with foo" post in reply to that thread for the next person to deal with a similar issue? Even if bblboy54 is choosing not to use the LMCE product, that doesn't mean he can't contribute what he learned from his time working on it. This is community. And many users don't get that at all.

Thom and the others, keep up the good work. I'm sure you put as much energy into this project as you can spare, and while it's not a project of personal interest to me at this time, I do see it is a very interesting project and one with a lot of potential.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:56:01 pm »
 :)
Heh, Wow, the LUG has chimed in. I know cmoates and bblboy54 personally. We all are members of the same LUG. It is unfortunate that his installation did not go well, I have had my share of pitfalls, and hair pulling, and alcohol drinking.  ;D

And I have been bashed on more than one occasion, but unfortunately my inexperience was the direct cause. Although it is painful to be verbally accosted, it does help re-align ones focus. I started using this project at version 7.04. It was painful, but it taught me a lot. The members of this community, although abrasive are truely the heart and soul of this project. Developers/Hackers like Thom, and Zaerc, are for the most part a big bit of the glue holding it all together. I converted from Knoppmyth. Which as it stands is a very well thought out mythtv distro. It helps to have LUG members as a huge part of its developement, and I truely enjoyed the years I used it. And this I did on recommendation from a fellow LUG member.

I also remember when I initially stated to the LUG that I was going to try LMCE, I was told that it was too complicated, not very well supported, and poorly documented. Most of which is true. Or was. Now with the release of 710rc2, I can honestly say that my last installation of LMCE was very painless. There are a few bugs, that for me at least, were answered in the forums here, some from the wiki, but almost entirely from the mouths of Thom, Zaerc, Posde, Hari, Freymann, and the list goes on and on......

Most of how I got this system functioning in full production  in my home, came from the razor sharp retorts and **sighs!*** in the irc channel. But after the very few issues I encountered, this system, for me personally, works exceptionally well. While it has its bits of conformity, it is after all a "Home Control" platform, as well as a Media Center. It has very specific requirements, and if they are not adhered to, you will fail. While this seems quite "closed box" it is so for a good reason. Unlike a MythTV distro, that you can slap on just about everything, and requires almost no user intervention, LinuxMCE is so much more than that. That being said, if all you want is a Tivo-Like device, that can play music and such, then use one of these. But if you want total home integration, (like the stuff we all used to drool over on the various SciFi shows throughout the decades), then LinuxMCE is where you should look. There is nothing like it. Best I can tell, and I have not tried it, LinuxMCE has even surpassed the capabilities of pluto home, and it can cost over $20,000 to have that implemented. This project is FREE as in BEER. The developers who work on it, do not get paid. However they are working in every free moment they have to improve it, expand it, and perfect it. I have some unusual hardware, so unlike the infamous video, my installation was tasking. I broke stuff, I bought stuff, and now it gets used every day, by my family, and at night by me. Granted the biggest and most used function is MythTV, so I ask myself, "Why not mythbuntu or knoppmyth?" The answer is simple. My children are very young. They have a TV in their playroom, and in their bedrooms, that can do anything they may need. Watch a disney movie, or favorite kids show, listen to their sesame street cd's, and all they have to do is tell there mother, who, as quickliy as a few clicks, can start or stop, and fully control said media, instantly from anywhere. This is the functionality that keeps me here. Nobody else has that. I say this but know full well, that XboxMC which I have added to my mix, has web based control. So at the simplest level, that would do. But it even needs to get its media from somewhere, and the platform I choose is LMCE. And having played with the latest version of MythBuntu, it also has mythweb based controls, in the form of a graphical keyboard, but they are nowhere near as simple to use, or as functional as the LMCE Orbiter technology.

I will end this rant, by saying I am sorry that Bob did not have a good run at this. I tried to help when I could, off of these channels, but perhaps he will try the next release, which I am sure will be even better that the current, which for some works well.

I will continue using LMCE. I will continue to contribute through the wiki, the forums, and template creation. And I will stay here. I am sure that after this post, I will take some sh!t, but you know what, so what!

Reagrds,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »
We have tried _VERY_ hard to make this system an appliance. As such, it does have very specific hardware and network requirements. When you follow them, setup is seamless and relatively boring.

-Thom