Author Topic: 1 UsbUirt PER Setup Controlling MD devices as well???  (Read 1161 times)

rodercot

1 UsbUirt PER Setup Controlling MD devices as well???
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:03:13 pm »
Hey All,

So I have been talking with John at the USBUirt. I want to know if this is possible currently.

With the addition of a IR disty block at the USBuirt attached to the core.

If I was to setup the TV in the bedroom IR controlled via the USBUirt on the core. The core USBUirt Should receive the button presses from the MCE remote in the bedroom is my thinking. then via CAT 5 install a flasher on the bedroom TV and hook the other end to the distrbution block located at the core and the USBUirt It should then pass the command from the Core's USBUirt to the Bedroom MD's TV is my thinking.

This would allow us to have one USBUirt per system and a Zantech 8 or 12 port powered block which can transmit signals via cat5 hundreds of feet with no issues.

The key is I guess getting the MD to transmit the press to the core through the network already installed and not through the MCEusb_2 hooked up in the bedroom.

Any thoughts.

regards,

Dave

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: 1 UsbUirt PER Setup Controlling MD devices as well???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:42 pm »
 :)
While this is a very cool idea, with the latest release of 710 rc2, the mce_usb2 receiver is now capable of blasting. I use one on all MD's except for the core, it has the usb-uirt. However, if you really wanted to control something via the usb-uirt located on the core, this can be set up on the device template for said TV. In other words, when creating the device template for a device located in other than a core room, when it asks how to control it, it defaults to the lirc embedded transmit, that it detects in the attached MD for that room.

All you have to do is change the drop down provided, to say usb-uirt embedded transmit. And bingo, control circuit is complete  ;D

I noticed this as I have several dish tuners, some connected to the core (usb-uirt) and one additional on the family room MD (mce_usb2 lirc-embedded transmit) but if I wanted to, the choice was there to have the family room receiver controlled by usb-uirt.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

rodercot

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:48:17 pm »
Seth,

are there any requirements or changes needed for using the MCEusb_2 as a transmitter. I was not aware that is could be used hence the idea I came up with here.

So basically set up a new device for the tv in the Bedroom on that MD and control it via the Lirc embedded transmit which is I guess is the MCEusb_2 on that bedroom MD or does that need to be changed. Do the stock transmitters work as well.

So my way of approching these setups is to learn the remotes into my pronto which I can do with pronto edit at the comfort of my workstation and then once completed just copy and paste the codes into the template.

One more thing, all devices that I want on every MD should be used in All Entertain areas is that correct, or is that just for satellite/cable/TV.

Regards,

Dave

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:00:25 pm »
 :)
With 710 rc2, the lirc embedded transmit device attached to the mce usb receiver, just worked. I didn't have to enable anything special.

I have one on each of my MD's, and 1 has a dish receiver, and a 32" TV attached to it. I just plugged in a dual headed emitter to port 1 (AFAIK port 2 does not work) and learned the codes for both on the USB-UIRT in the living room. And after testing them, from the learning page, and doing a reload of the router, they work well.

Just recently I also added a Roku Netflix player to this same MD, directly atop the dish receiver, and it also gets controlled by the mce blaster.

If you have more than one (as I do) just make sure you are choosing the correct lirc-embedded-transmit device, otherwise you'll have IR signals bouncing all over the place  :P as I first discovered!

But in short, there is nothing special you have to do other than tell the device template which transmit you want to use. Re-Load Router and enjoy.

I have all of my dish tuners, and the roku box, available as "LiveTV" devices throughout the house. MythTV automatically chooses whichever dish receiver is not in use, and the control is seemless. So yes, I would give access to all MD's.

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:02:34 pm by seth »

rodercot

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:17:50 pm »
Great thanks for the info on this it will save a lot of time making cat5-IR emitter cables to test with.

Did you modify your emitters to make them duals or just purchase the Zantech, I though I read some where you had made up your own. Could be mistakin...

Thanks,

Dave

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:21:26 pm »
 ;)
I have both. I aquired one of the xantech models, then just on a whim, went to a local radio shack, bought a bunch of clearance emitters, and some 1/8th inch jacks, and made 2 of my own. They work just as well, although the ones I bought are not as transparent, as the xantech ones, they do not stick on the device IR windows, they lay in front of it.

Until I found out about the usb-uirt x86 blaster fix, I actually had a 3-headed one, which also worked, but you could tell the signal was diminished.

All the best,

Seth

rodercot

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:53:15 am »
Seth,

Well I am not sure why all my installs have to be problematic. I created a device for the tv in the bedroom with the MCE-usb all that is setup I learned the codes via the UsbUirt that went fine. setup the tv on the md in the bedroom via the wizard and of course that reloaded the router but nothing. I can go to advanced - Ir codes from the MD and test all the codes and they work just fine through MCE Usb2 but in a normal scenario like from the UI try to power off the TV and it will not pass anything to the flasher.

In Webadmin - Devices - Generic pc as md - mceusb2 - lirc embedded transmit - Kc3225 (the tv) the controlled via device is in fact the lirc embedded transmit mceusb2

I have not tried to reboot the md - I guess that could be an option as well.

*** Update to this, I tried rebooting - still not working. I deleted the Tv as a device and set it up again with the wizard on the MD, I removed and reinstalled the MCE_usb2 on that MD and still no control.

I have searched and found some other threads with the exact same issue - where it will work from the UI - advanced - ir codes screen but not under normal use. There are no replies to those threads either.

I did notice that my IR template that I created now has all of Dan's internal and general commands attached for some reason that I did not add.

What is the difference between passing codes from the test window and they work and using the TV with those same codes from the MD and they do not work?

any thoughts.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:01:06 pm by rodercot »