Author Topic: MD's cannot rip DVD's, NOT a css issue...  (Read 1363 times)

tekoholic

  • Veteran
  • ***
  • Posts: 96
    • View Profile
MD's cannot rip DVD's, NOT a css issue...
« on: August 09, 2008, 11:04:56 pm »
Up until last few days, I could put DVD's into ANY of the Hybrid's or MDs' drives, and simultaneously rip them to our collection on Hybrid's 2x500G RAID0 array.  At this point, however, ONLY the Hybrid itself can rip...

Upon placing DVD's in any MD's drive, it begins play...  At this point, usually, pressing F7 (UI2) or left-click (UI1), selecting Copy Disk stops play, starts rip.  Now, however, F7 -> Copy just freezes the menu until rt-click takes you back to playback under UI2, and Copy Disk simply doesn't respond under UI1.

Using Manage Drives:  Each drive accurately reflects the inserted Media, but NONE of the buttons elicit ANY response, whether play, rip, or eject.

Have deleted disk drive devices, recreated images, even had one of my MD's deleted and recreated, all to no avail.  Core is x86_64, MD's are both 32 and 64, and I'm at a loss...

jondecker76

  • Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • *
  • Posts: 763
    • View Profile
Re: MD's cannot rip DVD's, NOT a css issue...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:13:44 pm »
Did you try to reinstall dvdcss from the add software section?  I have had these show the status installed when they really werent. Also, after creating a new MD, or rebuilding one, it will say that it is installed when it isn't. Just to be sure, it would not hurt to give reinstalling packages a try.

tekoholic

  • Veteran
  • ***
  • Posts: 96
    • View Profile
Re: MD's cannot rip DVD's, NOT a css issue...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:40:52 am »
Thank you for your response, and I apologize, I should have elaborated more on that:

Yes, libdvdcss IS confirmed installed on the 2 MD's in question, as well as the Hybrid.  It was installed prior to all this, and when this started happening, I made sure that it was the first thing installed on each reload / rebuild.  It never did pretend to be installed when it wasn't, but I installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled on each.  Manual install err's out with "already newest version".  As well, we can WATCH encrypted DVD's on all 3, which pretty well determines it.

As these were the only 2 MD's I had DVD drives in, or in use at all, I also deleted all signs of the others, and ONLY have these 2 still in operation.

Honestly, I think it has something to do with the Hybrid.  The Hybrid's system drive is 360G, normal install from DVD, and there is still over 200G available.  As well, there is the RAID set of 1TB, that is the default place to save media.  I've looked at directory ownership / permissions, and set the public folder on RAID as it was under /home (root:public), made sure that user_* are members of public, etc.  I've rebooted the Hybrid a few times, reloaded router several times, and still no response from rip / copy buttons on the MD's...