Author Topic: TV control/scenarios...  (Read 2396 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
TV control/scenarios...
« on: August 09, 2008, 04:15:37 am »
Does anybody know if it is documented anywhere exactly what LMCE does by default to control a TV when you do different things?

I have finally fixed up the bug that stopped transmissions from USBUIRT in RC2, thanks to Seth!

But I seem to be back to where I was last time I tried to get LMCE to control my TV - it clearly controls it, and I even got it to switch channels (internal tuner, not using VDR at this point) and change volume....

but my problem is it seems to do bizare things like when I switch from media on the orbiter to "Live TV" it correctly changes the TV's input back to its own tuner, but also turns the TV Off! Then several seconds later (presumably the IR delay setting of 7 seconds) it turns it back on again - rather redundant! When I try to switch back it does the same thing but never turns the TV back on, and I have to do that manually. And I suspect (without any basis!) that the USBUIRT detects me doing that and may be screwing up LMCE state-machine tracking the TV's status (don't know if it does that...)

Also, I can't work out how to turn off the TV manually from LMCE - if I choose Power I can use the display on/off buttons, one just ignores me, the other just cancels that screen and goes back to the screen saver, neither do anything to the TV! And once I do turn it off - what triggers LMCE to turn it back on if I cannot see the on-screen orbiter to select anything (BTW, I'm using a Fiire remote, but also have a mouse connected)

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: TV control/scenarios...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:05:27 pm »
there are several bugs in the handling of toggle type power and input selection. I've been waiting on the merge to start working on them.

When the TV is off, the fiire remote should have a button that will turn on the tv (for my windows IR remote, its the green Windows button (media button). I think its the middle button on a gyration.

The power menu works as it should here(display of), however it does not appear to affect LMCE's state tracking.

There are some other options also. For example, Vizio TV's have what I like to call Semi-Discreet inputs. It has AV1, AV3, Comp1,Comp2,HDMI1,HDMI2,RGB,TV. I found a remmote with AV,Comp,HDMI,rgB,tV buttons, and they work with all of my Vizio TV's. They only switch to the first of each type of input and repeated presses cycle through the rest.. For Example, pressing A/V brings me to AV1. Pressing it again takes me to AV2. Pressing it again - back to AV1. etc. I set these up as discreet inputs, and only use AV1,Comp1,HDMI1,RGB and TV inputs. See if your tv has similar features.

Some other tips - Only reload your router with your TV off. If you do it while the TV is on, it will go out of sync. Also, for the on-screen orbiter, in the web-admin, lower the time for power off and screensaver. This will turn your tv off faster than the default 5 minutes after media stops playing.

Also, if you can't get the input select to work as it should, just control your inputs manually and let LMCE manage the power.

Hopefully I will get to start working on these soon. I already know where most of the bugs are...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: TV control/scenarios...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:13:44 pm »
hmmm - tried all the buttons I could on the Fiire but nothing responded.... will give it another go. Bit of a pain in the butt to have to have the TV off to reload the router... hard on the WAF factor!

Any idea when the merge will be complete?

Col