Author Topic: Replaced video card, now weird problem  (Read 2503 times)

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Replaced video card, now weird problem
« on: August 09, 2008, 03:13:06 am »
Howdy,

My nVidia 7300 blew some capacitors the other day (photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/royw2/2745659538/), so replaced it with an nVidia 9800 GT.  No X on first boot, then couldn't even get AVWizard to run.  So upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run) per wiki directions and had X working but the onscreen orbiter showing in a little bitty box centered on the display.  More hassles with AVWizard before I hit the winning combination of using the bottom DVI connector to my HDMI TV, followed by entering '1' on the blank screen AVWizard (no case speaker so no beeps).  UI2 without alpha blending.

Well and good.  Got Onscreen orbiter, screen saver working.  But when I use the onscreen orbiter to try to select Media, Videos nothing happens.  I can select all of the other Media sub-items (TV, Audio,...).  OK, I had one of my NFS systems off line, got it back on-line, problem still exists.  OK, try using my nokia n800 and the videos show up fine there (UI-1).  Rooting around in the logs and the only possibility I see is a comment that device 19 has not registered.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, suggestions?

TIA,
Roy

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Replaced video card, now weird problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:52:21 pm »
Woah, what brand of video card was that?  Amazing that some manufacturers still have the guts to put these bad capacitors on boards, must of been a real cheap one.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Replaced video card, now weird problem
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:49:56 am »
Sorry, wrong model number.  The card is an eVGA 7600GS 256MB P/N 256-P2-N541-T2 (I had to remove the after market passive heat sink to read the sticker). 

What's weird is that eVGA was not proud enough to put their name on the board, so the board is probably just a generic.  A sticker says "MADE IN CHINA".

I've played one movie with the new board (9800 GS) and did not notice any artefacts.