Author Topic: Core Locking up, Most common causes  (Read 7599 times)

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Core Locking up, Most common causes
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:26 am »
Andrew,

thanks for the info, I had seen that you could get SPDIF out of one audio jack on the Jetway board, but didn't know that you could do this with all boards.
I use a lot of inexpensive 19'' Monitors in my house as secondary TVs, and there the VGA port and analog audio would work just fine for me. I suppose I could also try using a PCI Nvidia 6200 low profile if it would fit in the case?
If you tune to a HDTV channel that broadcasts in 1080p, is the box powerfull enough to downscale that and play it in 720p?

Thanks again for sharing all your secrets with us!

Jean

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 10:56:07 am »
Andrew,

thanks for the info, I had seen that you could get SPDIF out of one audio jack on the Jetway board, but didn't know that you could do this with all boards.
I use a lot of inexpensive 19'' Monitors in my house as secondary TVs, and there the VGA port and analog audio would work just fine for me. I suppose I could also try using a PCI Nvidia 6200 low profile if it would fit in the case?
If you tune to a HDTV channel that broadcasts in 1080p, is the box powerfull enough to downscale that and play it in 720p?

Thanks again for sharing all your secrets with us!

Jean

Well not all boards can route spdif out of the audio jacks. As for downscaling from 1080p to 720p... we have not tested that at all as its not really an issue here in the UK. Currently the D945GCLF is driving 720P screens very nicely but 1080p is not working yet.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

amirul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 05:25:18 pm »
Andrew,
I see that the Intel Atom has arrived. Are you running the screen saver static to avoid locking up, or have you found a fix?

Amirul

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 04:17:40 am »
quick question...
Do I need to do anything specific when I remove my old Network card and replace it with an identical one. I just tried and well... I had to put the old one back in to get my network back up....
Core: Broken :(

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 05:56:55 am »
dunno, just a thought, but perhaps do a lspci -vnn before and after changing it, then compare the PCI bus IDs and vendor:product id's, rev number and maybe some of the other parameters? I would have thought if those are all the same the kernel shouldn't be able to tell the difference...

only other thing could be the way the kernel assigns the ethx names during start up. If they aren't exactly eth0 for the external LAN and eth1 for the Internal then LMCE won't be able to use them properly. Use ethtool to compare the MAC addresses with the IP addresses to make sure the right subnet is connected to the right physical cable, and that the names are 0 and 1 and the right way around. They maybe swapped or even eth0 and eth2 or eth1 and eth2.... if so you can use a udev rule to force them back....

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 08:04:17 pm »
I have come to the conclusion that I do not have a heat problem with my core. If for some reason my MD was overheating or crashing would it lock up my network and stall out the core?

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 04:24:19 pm »
Ok... So I swapped out my MD with a Machine that I was going to use as a second MD. So far no network issues. It seems that for some reason or another my MD was slowing down and then eventually bringing down my core. I also noticed that with my new MD my video tearing issue is gone. I pulled the video card and the capture card from the first MD and installed them on the new one. I was waiting to buy a new video card so when I took the old MD off-line I moved the video card over so I could use the new one.
So far so good. Hopefully it stays that way.