Author Topic: PDA / Tablet Suggestion Wanted  (Read 11185 times)

blackoper

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PDA / Tablet Suggestion Wanted
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:31:30 pm »
n810 will work as an orbiter same as the n800 for the guy asking earlier

n810 is step back because it only has one minisd port on it instead of my two full sd ports on my n800 that allow for two full size sd cards. Plus the 810 is freaking expensive. just buy a bluetooth keyboard and a gps device if the gps and keyboard are that important and you will save money :)

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 11:03:15 pm »
I had some great experience with different kind of PDA's (PocketPc's). If you look on Ebay or other equal sites you'll find lots of pda's for very cheap prices.

lfd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 08:29:34 pm »
Hello Guys!

I have managed to get the orbiter installed on a N810 today. I go very excited but I have a problem, I cannot see any text (descriptions, song or movie name...). I can only see some text on the generated pictures.

Has anyone being through this yet? If everything worked, please post the installation step on the tablet.

Thanks,

-Damien

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 02:12:41 am »
Hey Damien,

I got impatient and bought one recently. I can confirm I have the same issue for Video Attributes. I don't really use them via the orbiter so it doesn't bother me much.

Installed as an Orbiter Template #8 (Orbiter Plug-in). Changed the PK_Size to Nokia 770. Not sure if this is correct but it works for everything else.

Other Notes:
- Connected via WiFi (good signal) there is a bit of lag when browsing some media/pressing buttons (not sure if this is the N810's limited CPU or something else? Orbiter via Win XP PC seems to be much faster)
- If I minimise the application and go back to the 2008 OS desktop - the Orbiter app won't reload or close properly. I have to manually kill the pid via the terminal application.

Otherwise all works well. Will add to the Wiki soon  ;)

Cheers,
WR

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 03:10:46 am »
Have you copied the truetype fonts across? That was required for my 770.
There should be instructions somewhere if you search the forums.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 09:06:48 am »
Have you copied the truetype fonts across? That was required for my 770.
There should be instructions somewhere if you search the forums.

Thanks Darren - I had not tried this, didn't realise it was required for the 2008 OS single click install file. I'll try this tonight and confirm.

Cheers,
WR.

lfd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 09:41:57 pm »
Same observations than wombiroller. There is no normal -> full screen button implemented and it gives some difficulties. But except that it rocks!

darrenmason, I have copied the fonts as instructed in the wiki. If they are not installed the application won't start and tell you to install the fonts before you can go further.

-Damien

yatun_maw

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:38 am »
I have good experience with Samsung Q1 Ultra. It has no keyboard, which I see as advantage and is manufactured in prime quality and has cradle. Biggest problem is that my version has Windows Vista, I need to donwgrade to XP. There's probably no chance to run Linux on it, which is pity.

I was also testing Mivvy UMPC, which runs Kubuntu, but is based on VIA C7 and facing too many troubles. And of course, case quality is not good.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 03:54:18 pm »
Hi there!

I'd like to add a few words about using Nokia's Internet Tablets as a LinuxMCE Orbiter.
1. First of all, N800 is much much better then Nokia770. It's faster and more stable.
2. Sure, N810 works fine as the Orbiter.
3. There is a one click installation scripts for bora, chinook and diablo - http://diapub.com/~michael/ (thanks to Oliver for idea and Andrew for the server space)
4. It's possible to install OS2008HE on the Nokia770. It's more or less ok. But performance is worser then with OS2007HE.
5. Nokia 770 works fine as Orbiter under OS2007HE with a simple tuning - http://tinyurl.com/6d6pua.
6. Bad news - Nokia officially stop to produce Nokia770 and N800.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru