Author Topic: Compatible Mother Boards  (Read 5355 times)

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Compatible Mother Boards
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:37:43 pm »
I'm requesting help on finding a mobo that works well with 0710.  The motherboard in my Core Media Director died.  The list of motherboards in the wiki are somewhat archaic.  I have six motherboards in Media Directors, but none seem to work as a Core Media Director under 0710.  I would prefer a model and brand of motherboard that a member is actually using as a core media director under 0710.  I've learned through experience that a lot of boards that should work don't.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Compatible Mother Boards
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:58:47 pm »
I have a similar thread here:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5948.0

My motherboard is apparently on the fritz and I'm sick of messing with it, so I am ordering new.

My only core/hybrid experience has been with an M2NPV-VM, which has turned out to be a pain (raid array breaking all the time despite the discs being check and free of bad sectors, network crashes and a lot of other issues with network driver stability etc.) so I would recommend against it even though it is supposed to be well supported (though it may be that my board is just fried - I did buy it used over 6 months ago)

I have heard great reviews about the M2N-SLI Deluxe and I'm starting to lean in that direction.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:33:22 pm »
I'm requesting help on finding a mobo that works well with 0710.  The motherboard in my Core Media Director died.  The list of motherboards in the wiki are somewhat archaic.  I have six motherboards in Media Directors, but none seem to work as a Core Media Director under 0710.  I would prefer a model and brand of motherboard that a member is actually using as a core media director under 0710.  I've learned through experience that a lot of boards that should work don't.

Have you added any experience with those 6 motherboards to the wiki at all?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

GasVe

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:54 pm »
Hi:
    I have installed 710 on the next configuration with no major issues, only external subtitles for avi/mkv tvshows with Xine_Player are not working.

MB: Abit AN-M2HD LE
CPU: Athlon X2 4800+ Box (AM2)
Memory: XMS2 DDR2 2Gb (2x1Gb) PC6400C4DHX
WDC 80 GB SATA2 for OS
WDC 250 GB for media

This machines is one for all ( Core/Director )

It works Ok, sometimes I have some green artifacts on the left side using Xine_Player, but according to some threads this is a known bug, not resolved yet.

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:50:43 pm »
Thanks for the information.  As far as the wiki is concerned, all of the mobos in media directors are in the wiki already.  Most are of the "works as media director not as core" type. 

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 02:04:28 pm »
If it helps:

Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 with GeForce 6100 (256Mb shared), Realtek 8201 phy (10/100Mbit – eth0) LAN onboard

I have this board in my Hybrid Core, have not seen any issues

Have Used:
Onboard NIC (tested both internal and external)
Onboard Video - tested to 720P (LCD 720P only).  Some tearing on UI2 with alpha blending but I believe that is common on all.
USB - Working
RS232 - Working

Not Tested:
Onboard sound 

Matsonic MS8147C VIA KT400 Chipset Socket A, Realtek RT8100B LAN (10/100 Mbit), AC’97 audio (sound did not work)

I have this board in a MD

Have Used:
Onboard NIC
USB - Working

Not Tested:
RS232

Did not work:
Onboard Sound - although I did not spend too much time trying to fix it as I had a spare soundcard to hand

I will add them to the wiki soon

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:53:30 pm »
Thanks for the information.  As far as the wiki is concerned, all of the mobos in media directors are in the wiki already.  Most are of the "works as media director not as core" type. 

I did not ask if they were in the wiki, I asked if you have added any of your experience with them. 

Getting really sick and tired of whiners like you that can't be bothered to lift a finger themselves.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 08:03:53 pm »
I won't post again. 

Apneadiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 02:27:54 am »
Dave,

Have you tried to install from the the supplemental driver disc from Hardy for video drivers?  I'm looking to put an ATI 780G chipset mobo into a core.  Thanks.

- Jim

Apneadiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 02:53:59 am »
Thanks Dave.
Cheers
 - Jim

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 01:45:05 pm »
I won't post again. 

The problem is that we all get a little frustrated (Zaerc in particular as he does put an enormous amount of effort into the Wiki and the forum) that people dont use the wiki for the purpose its intended for - capturing and disseminating this kind of information. The forum is the place for discussion and the wiki should be the collective 'memory' of this project. The Wiki needs more 'editors' to get involved updating and creating new pages... stocking it up with the collective experience of all of us. Its that 'network' effect of everyone adding and improving the Wiki that is really so powerful. If everyone here made a commitment to make just 1-2 updates to the wiki per week it would have an enormous affect.

Oh... and dont stop posting ;-)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk