Author Topic: TV Episode WATCHING ???'s  (Read 1345 times)

rodercot

TV Episode WATCHING ???'s
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:30:21 am »
Hey Guys,

I got a few of my series setup in the system and I watched a few episodes last evening a couple things.

1. When I first pulled up the episode I had no sound - for some reason I am not sure, I went into KDE and the iec voume was turned all the way down. 1st time for this I will keep an eye on it.

2. Is there any way to force 16:9 for all TV shows all the time. Automagically of course, as the process of pulling up the show and then having to pull up the menu and changing it everytime I start a TV show is a WAF inconvenience - Too many steps.

3. Is there any way to have the UI return to the UI-Video-Standard Def selection at the end of a TV show instead of the main UI.  I am trying to get my remote to use the quick keys to make this faster but I think my screw up with the uirt may have broken this another thing on the list to figure out.

thx,

Dave

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: TV Episode WATCHING ???'s
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:43:58 pm »
2. it should default to Auto aspect, and that should show your TV in its recording aspect ratio (ie the correct ratio) - basically, I never have to change the aspect ratio, it is always correct no matter what source.... sometime I zoom in if the picture is very small.

3. not as a standard option.... I guess you could write a response to a media stop event to send a command message to the orbiter to go to a particular screen, but I wouldn't know how to do that.. but it is certainly possible

rodercot

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:49:24 pm »
Colin,

Right you are all my Tv shows are in 4:3 and movies in 16:9 of course except for the odd one and this is I guess Auto. So for every TV show when it starts I need to manually force it to 16:9 to fill the screen and I was wondering is there was a way that I could tell it to stay in 16:9 all the time. Even a shortcut on the remote would be cool. Right now I have to hit the green button, set the aspect and then hit the back button to get rid of the UI this is after pulling up the video menu - choosing tv shows or std def under type - then find the show in question and then scroll over and hit play - now set the aspect ratio - get rid of the UI and finally watch the show. For me this is not a problem but I will here about it when the better half tries to watch an episode or two in the other room.

Regards,

Dave

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:10:12 pm »
You mean you actually _want_ to stretch your TV shows out of the correct shape?! How can you stand watching it like that? Almost all my TV is 16:9 but the few very old ones I have I am perfectly happy watching in the correct aspect ratio and ignoring the side bars rather than watching "fat people"!

I suppose you could write something that responded to play media events, looked at the aspect and sent an aspect command if it was 4:3 to change it. But someone else would have to help you with that... Not sure you can do that within the web admin...

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:04:08 pm »
I'm a little confused by the description as well, but he/you may have the same issue I did.  I had to manually set a bunch of my movies to 16:9 or they would be stretched tall.  My problem was I bulk ripped them without really watching what I was doing.  I was using autoaspect on an avi container.  The avi container doesn't support aspect, so that was being lost and the vid was encoded assuming non-square pixels, but when played back it would assume square.  Hence my need to manually set it to 16:9.  I have since re-ripped them all without using autoaspect (h.264/ac3/avi) and they play correctly without doing anything.  Why use the sucky AVI format?  It's the only format I could get to work that supports both H.264 and AC3 and plays fine on LMCE and my Archos PMP.  If you don't have a specific need for avi, go with something else like mkv.

If the OPs vids are AVIs, that may be the issue.

rodercot

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:27:29 pm »
Hey Guys,

OK Aspect Ratio - aside, it will take me a while to get over the black bars. XBMC had a 14:9 option in the setup for TV shows which actually filled the screen and made it look pretty good.

Anyhow now onto the browsing aspects. When a show finishes it puts you back at the main UI and you need to drill down to the next show in the list. this is pretty quick if you are using a gyration or a fiire but with a MCE remote it is fairly time consuming as the bedroom MD has.

It takes with my setup of shows about 30 seconds to page down to the R group in Tv shows. If you only have a few show this may not matter but when you get a big collection it will.

I have about 60 Seasons of TV shows with 18-25 episodes per season. Scrolling through all those every time a show ends with a pg up or dwn command is time consuming.

How can this be setup to at least go back to the Tv shows group after a TV show ends but I really think we need that extra layer with the show name like in the music section. At least then you could pick the show.

The ideal is to have it default right back to the show you just watched and then you just move down and pick the next one and hit play.

rgds,

Dave

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 03:29:10 pm »
 ;)

I use the playlist feature for this. I put them into the playlist in order, and then name the playlist for example Stargate Atlantis-1 and then -2 and so on. That way, when I watch them they are of course in order, and it remembers where I left off, and asks me to continue from there.

Just a thought, using something already implemented into LMCE  :)

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

rodercot

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 03:44:44 pm »
Thanks Seth,

I never even thought of that!!! I always associate playlists with music. I take it then we can create playlists for every show season group etc...

rgds,

Dave

rodercot

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:13:09 pm »
Well that works great!!! thanks. One quick one this is what I did. Webadmin - playlist - add

Roseanne - grabbed all the shows from season 1-2-3 added then to the list and saved it.

goto the UI and I see the playlist entitled Roseanne and I click on it - It does not give me a list of the files in the playlist on that screen and I can only click play then it starts and I can manipulate the playlist from the main UI when a file is playing.

Should I be able to see all the files I added to the playlist when I first click Media - Playlist - Roseanne.

rgds,

Dave

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:20:35 pm »
 :)

While the video is playing back via the playlist, you can use F6 on the keyboard, or if using UI1 get the on-screen remote, then the videos show up like a chapter would on a DVD. I use the gyration 310 remote, I have volume down set to pull up the ffwd/rwd and chapter selection. When viewing one of my SGA playlists, I bring up the above mentioned interface, and then on the left of the screen, I can see all my episodes.

Give that a try, see if it does what you want  ;)

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:09:40 pm »
Just thought I'd chime in as well, thanks for the playlist idea!  I also only associated playlists with music.  I don't have as many seasons of TV shows, only 10 or 15, but this will be a big help.  I have been going through the painful process of manually setting media subtype to separate my TV shows from movies, as well as setting the genre, and adding a second title that includes the season/episode numbers. Changing the existing title changes it for every show in that series, but if you add a second title that second one is the one that shows up when broswing media.  Even so, shows with long names such as Battlestar Galactica have the name cut off so when browsing it only shows up as Battlestar so the episode gets cut off.  I've added the episode number on a few as a test, but I'm not seeing the episode number anywhere while browsing. 

I'm not sure what a good solution to the episode problem would be, but using playlists should get around that issue.

rodercot

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:28:21 pm »
Actually skeptic when you do that and you have your titles down the right side of the UI and mouse over them the complete title will show up at the bottom right of the screen. I am using UI2 without alpha blending. The playlist thing is working great. I have now setup all my shows this way it took no time at all and that included editing cover arts in photo paint to change the names of them from season1 to THE COMPLETE SERIES. The wife likes it to - Finally.

Dave

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:48:33 pm »
By mouseover do you mean with one of the gyro remotes/actual mouse or just highlighting them with the arrows on the remote?  I'm using UI2 no blending and a regular remote.  When I arrow around the title on the right is highlighted, but the bottom right is just a blue box with nothing in it.  I've seen in demos where people with a gyro remote move the pointer around and when it's on the cover art of a movie that cover-art is enlarged, but I never noticed if anything showed up in the bottom right box.  It would be really cool if arrowing around did the same effect.

rodercot

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:49:02 pm »
Skeptic,

Yes when I use my gyro and go over one of the cut off titles on the right the full title shows up in that blue box on the bottom right of the screen, actually even if if highlight one of the cover arts the full title will pop up in the blue box. I just tried that. But you know what I just tried it on the MD in the bedroom with a MCE remote and you are right nothing in the box. I have to actually click on the cut off title to get the attributes page to pop up and then I get the full title and then just use the back button to get back to the title. I could not live without the gyro remote it makes things so much easier when navigating.

regards,

Dave