Author Topic: Thinking about setting one of these up and have questions.  (Read 2403 times)

tyguy101a

• First post!
    • View Profile
Thinking about setting one of these up and have questions.
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:49:23 pm »
I’m a college student with out much money, but with a crap load of old computers and parts at my disposal and I want to try setting up my own server over winter break. I have a computer which can run the software, so that’s all good. I have some questions about the stuff needed to hook to the tv. None of my tv’s have vga or hdmi. Its straight component and coax, and sadly I can not go out and just get a newer tv. I eventually would like to expand this system to cover my entire house and reach multiple tvs, so just running a vga cable thru a converter then into the tv wouldn’t be helpful in the long run. Because its an old house (and I suck at fishing cable thru walls) the Ethernet in the house is limited to only a few rooms, but I have an 802.11g which gets a strong signal anywhere in the house.

So I guess these are my questions:

What do I need to hook to the tv to receive the signal from the server? Can I use something like a ps3 (which can run linux) or do I have to buy some sort of box?

Can this be run wirelessly without having bandwidth issues?

Can I access the files on the server as well as change settings and stuff like that from another computer on the network?

I would like to use the security features but don’t have money for a new camera that has ip, can I use a generic usb webcam hooked up to the server just test out that part of the system?

Most tv tuners I’m aware of have the ability to watch 2 shows at once (picture in picture) does this mean I cannot watch 3 separate shows on 3 separate tvs at the same time?

Since new gameconsoles such as the ps3 are using bluetooth controllers and the system can relay bluetooth, will it eventually be able to run a game from anyroom even thou the console is nowhere near by?

Can the system double as a print and file server for the other networked machines?

I’m sure all these questions have been asked before and I apologize for repeating them, but I suck at finding things.

Also I’m not sure if it matters or not but I’m in America so things need to be ntsc or atsc

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about setting one of these up and have questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:57:55 pm »
I’m sure all these questions have been asked before and I apologize for repeating them, but I suck at finding things.

Please start here:  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

Most here are very friendly and willing to help, but as you said, many of the questions you asked have been asked/answered before. 

A quick recap:
wireless- no bad idea
access/change- yes
webcam- check on the hardware section on the wiki- http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Hardware
tuners- number of tuners = number of decoders = number of separate tvs to watch shows on (generally)- if the streams need to be decoded that could be a different issue
game console- not sure about this
printer/file server- yes

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about setting one of these up and have questions.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:39:08 pm »
I'll second jimmejames' suggestion to start at the wiki.  Just to expand a bit:

Instead of trying to get a converter box or a new TV, pick up an older nvidia card with s-video/composit output for each MD.  Check the wiki for supported cards, but as an example I have a NIB sub $50 nvidia 7300 on my core/md and it works great.  I'd bet you could find plenty capable cards on e-bay for dirt cheap.

Last I read, the PS3 is not supported.  Lots of technical issues.

wifi is basically a no-go.  wifi cards do not support pxe boot (network boot), and this is required.  You may be able to hardwire a computer to a WAP and get it to boot, but that's beyond the scope of LMCE.  ie - your on your own but others may be interested. 

usb webcam - as I understand it, yes, this works.

tv tuners - I'll add to jimmejames' post by warning that some cable companies, mine included, are switching to digital (QAM).  Do some research into what tv cards are supported by lmce as well as which work with your cable company.

game consoles - your best hope for this is to capture the video out from the game console via tv-tuner card and treat it like any other A/V equipment and transmit it to another MD.  However, unless I'm wrong LMCE does NOT pass on bluetooth signals so you'll have to be close enough for the controller signal to reach the console directly.  You are also going to see some kind of delay which will likely make games unplayable.