Author Topic: My Future LinuxMCE Experiment  (Read 1915 times)

gonesailing

My Future LinuxMCE Experiment
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:11 pm »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:39:04 pm by gonesailing »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: My Future LinuxMCE Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:52 pm »
why are you downloading the CDs? Don't, use the DVD instead and READ the install instructions first so you understand why. Don't bother downloading Kubuntu you don't need it.

No, Orbiters are not MDs, completely different concept and they have nothing to do with Kubuntu - if you want to control your core from your laptop then install an Orbiter on whatever OS it is currently running. The Windows orbiter is very good, or just the web orbiter if you want.

LMCE is extremely good at organising media - just don't walk in with preconceived ideas on how it "should" be done. Learn how it actually is done in LMCE and give yourself time to get used to it and you will see...

Don't wait for 0804 it isn't coming, LMCE is going direct to 0810 (although I note Zaerc mentioned he got an 0804 base running, but the current advice is 0810 is next)

BTW when you read advised configuration (eg 2 NICs, DHCP, etc) trust that advice or you will have a very painful time and difficulty getting help on the forums - it's all done for very good reasons, all of which are explained at length if you do some simple searches. Almost every horror install story you read here is when someone didn't accept this or used hardware not in the recommended list but didn't know the implications or how to deal with it. Every "smooth" story is when the recommendations were followed - save yourself the headaches :)

gonesailing

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:20 pm »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:39:25 pm by gonesailing »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 12:24:10 am »
I never said Kubuntu wasn't supported, I was just trying to save you the pain of discovering that the CD install takes over 3 hours and the DVD can be completed in 40mins. The DVD is by far the best for your first install (and all subsequent ones IMO) but if you have partition requirements then by all means use the CDs -just be prepared for a very long, boring gazing session!

as for 8.04 the very limited number of deva are struggling to merge 2 source trees so that development is easier. I think their view is that by the time that is complete 8.10 will be around the corner. I don't think they are specifically trying to exclude your laptop :) but as I say, Zaerc maybe working on it anyway judging from one of his posts - I'm just relaying what I have read.

I'm not telling your wife just to deal with it! If I told my partner that I'd get a frying pan in the head! I'm asking you to give it a chance. Many people have a hard time using the arrange-by-attribute modes and just go back to the folder structure mode - from your post it sounds like that is actually what you want, so perhaps not a big concern anyway. But generally the advice is still good - this system sometimes requires a bit of a head shift, but if you give it a go you see it is worth it in the end.

On the orbiter/laptop - you are missing my original point. Because the Orbiter is not an MD and so does not require Kubuntu, unless you actually want to be able to play media on your laptop through LMCE, you don't need to install Kubuntu and so no compatibility issue! You can use any Orbiter you like, for a PC the Windows orbiter is far better than the web orbiter, but if you are ideologically opposed to that and want to use Kubuntu and the web orbiter then knock yourself out! You can even install 08.04 if you want as you won't be running an MD anyway.

Either way don't get so touchy on your first posts and rush off in a huff! I was typing at 3am from under the bedsheets, half asleep on this stupid iPhone because it's quieter than the BB so I don't get an elbow in the ribs, thinking I could save you some time and hassle on the learning curve.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:18 am »
Sorry, but your reply really doesn't give me a warm feeling about this community.... :-\
you extrapolate one comment to the whole community?

I'll be deleting my bookmark to this forum.  I might try this software later, but for now I'll search another solution, since you successfully convinced me that I am not smart or cool enough to use it.
muahahaha :-) deleting the bookmark, good one..

That's the cool thing about open source, nobody forces you to use it..

Regarding your question: The orbiter itself is part of a MD (Onscreen orbiter) but it can run standalone, too. Like for Java/Symbian Smartphones, Wince, Windows, Linux, Cisco Phones, ...

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 03:51:29 pm »
Btw gonesailing - I certainly didn't intend to insult you or give you negative feelings about the community. As Hari says don't extrapolate an entire community from the first response you get. But if I did insult/annoy you then my apologies.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:33:18 pm »
I see nothing wrong with colinjones' reply, but plenty with this luser's attitude.  So goodbye and good riddance to you gonesailing...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 02:08:31 pm »
As an INEXPERIENCED user of LinuxMCE, I would definitely recommend the standalone LinuxMCE installation DVD, as opposed to installing Kubuntu first.

What are the specs of your laptop, namely the graphics? This pretty much dictates which UI you will be able to use. Do you intend on using it wirelessly (purely as an orbiter), or as a diskless (wired) media director?

The media library is fantastic at reading tags, be it for videos, music, recorded TV shows, or whatever. I am very anal with the naming of my music, and quite sloppy with the naming of my videos (because they invariably get deleted if I don't burn them), and LinuxMCE copes very well with both. I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

Last but not least, don't get worked up over a given response, just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear! colinjones' answer was very concise in my opinion, and these forums have been a lifeline to me. Best of luck with LinuxMCE.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:52:19 am »
thx purps and Zaerc..

purps - don't bother, he's gone and deleted his account :) ... no loss

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:03:51 am »
Do you think he went sailing?

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 01:24:18 pm »
Lol, I was quite looking forward to actually giving something back to the community then, after all of the help that I have received! Better luck next time.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps