Author Topic: Core in nonresponding state  (Read 2425 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Core in nonresponding state
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:35:42 am »
Hi,

my hybrid core got into non responding state. Since remote ssh is impossible I'd kindly ask for general guidance what to do in following situation:

- core was performing ok all features - except it didn't allow remote ssh (it shows me last login time and place but shows no shell prompt) or local console sessions. So I had to hard reboot system. But now it hangs after "Running NFS ... : statd" - it also won't allow remote ssh (it shows me last login time and place but shows no shell prompt) or local console.
I've started it also in fail safe mode but my root pasword seem to be overheard (although it works on remote ssh).

I cannot exclude that I could be hacked, but don't know how to find out what happened.

Any procedures, guidance what to do in such situations on Pluto system ?
Can starting daemons be made more robust to failures in specific daemons ?
Also can it be done to enable ssh and network earlier in boot process - to have more tools in hands ?
How well secured is currently Pluto ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Core in nonresponding state
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:21:02 pm »
Hi Rob

just my 0,02 cent worth suggestion ...

Maybe some files have been corrupted (disk failure) so you are no more able to reboot properly.

Have you tried to reboot off a knopix cd, and then try to check your hd status?

I had a couple of times a similar problem (in the very beginning, when I was making a lot of experiments and system was crashing frequently) and it ended up that the shortest fix was to reinstall pluto keeping data partition.

Obviously if you don't have a recent backup of your mysql tables this may result a bit annoying ..

Regarding backup, you may find interesting this thread
http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=565

Again, just my 0,02 cent

Regards
Marco