Author Topic: find where media-subtype and/or genre are not set?  (Read 2932 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
find where media-subtype and/or genre are not set?
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:37:47 pm »
Is there anywhere in the web-admin page or via MD where I can find the videos that do not have the media-subtype and/or genre set?  I know I can go to Media Files Sync and click the show attributes button, but with over 400 videos and growing fast this isn't a good option.  The Media Files Sync also doesn't show the media-subtype, so I'd have to open each one in the Edit Media Files window to even check to see if it's set.

I basically don't know anything about Mysql, so I'd rather not go that route and have yet another thing to try to learn, but if it's the only way and someone can tell me how I'll give it a shot.  I don't even know what prog I would need to use, mysql-admin, mysql-query-browser, mysql-navigator, or something else?  Maybe it's really easy to learn the basics and I should have dove in long ago??? 

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: find where media-subtype and/or genre are not set?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:45:18 am »
do you have Excel? You could get the MySQL ODBC connector (free) and install it on a PC that has Excel then run as many reports as you like from there... its very easy to do, I have used it to comb my database - I mention it here http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5700.msg33399#msg33399 but obviously don't use it to update your database!

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:11:47 pm »
Sounds like there isn't a way to do it from within LMCE or the web-admin interface.  I don't really have easy access to Excel, what would be the easiest/best way to do this from another Linux box?

I don't plan to update anything from outside of LMCE, I just want an easy way to identify videos that do not have the media subtype or genre set. 

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:45:26 pm »
see the wiki entry for setting up a development environment. Towards the bottom of the page, I have instructions for installing phpmyadmin. This will make querying this information easier, and its extremely easy to install (you don't have to install the entire dev environment). When installed, you can access it by pointing your browser to 192.168.80.1/phpmyadmin

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:44:32 pm »
see the wiki entry for setting up a development environment. Towards the bottom of the page, I have instructions for installing phpmyadmin. This will make querying this information easier, and its extremely easy to install (you don't have to install the entire dev environment). When installed, you can access it by pointing your browser to 192.168.80.1/phpmyadmin

Perfect, this will be much easier.  I tried playing with a gui, but apparently I couldn't login from a non-lmce box (my normal desktop) as it keeps rejecting the login even though I can query stuff from a shell on the core. 

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:10:05 pm »
I now have phpmyadmin installed and working.  I was able to figure out how to identify videos with no media subtype, but I'm stumped on how to find vids without a genre set.  Can someone help me out on the genre thing?  Please type slowly, I'm nearly clueless with mysql, mysqladmin, and the lmce database.