Author Topic: CISCO 7970, Registering with Asterisk  (Read 24260 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
CISCO 7970, Registering with Asterisk
« on: January 20, 2006, 02:01:20 pm »
Hi,

I am struggling with my CISCO 7970 IP phone. It is recognised by the core and is assigned an IP address. After that it hangs saying `Registering'. Asterisk log reveals that my phone is rejected. In /etc/asterisk/sccp.conf the device ID is `SEP'. When I manually replace SEP with the full name of my phone (SEP[MAC]) and reset the phone it registers with asterisk. However, there is no Orbiter screen on the phone's display (I have a Cisco 7970 Orbiter device on the admin page).

Can anyone tell my what I missed out during configuration of the phone? Thanks in advance.

Regards Michel.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:45:55 am »
Well looks like the p&p didn't work well

How did you added your phone to pluto? The normal sequence is:
   1. Have a running orbiter in front of you running nothing (no media playing or something else happening)
   2. Be sure that phone is reset to defaults (usually it means get IP via DHCP an no alternative servers)
   3. Plug the phone (power and network cable)
   4. When phone boots on some point you should see a screen on orbiter that a new p&p device was detected with MAC, and below you should see "cisco 7970", click on it.
   5. After max a minute the phone should register with asterisk (if it doesn't try to reboot the phone) so you could use it as a phone.
   6. In the mean time there should be an OrbiterGen running to generate screens for new orbiter.
   7. After some time you'll see a screen that says that you should "quick reload" your CORE.
   8. After quick reload you should be able to see orbiter in services menu.

I think that the best way for you is delete the phone from installation, and try to follow the described process (be sure you use latest pluto)

If it still doesn't work the only reason i can think of is that your phone is in some other MAC range that the one specified in device template(if you don't pass step 4), in this case edit device template for cisco 7970 by adding a new mac range, and repeat those steps (please post the mac range here so we could add it to main database)

Other posible problem is the firmware version, usually you will have problems with asterisk, and not with orbiter, but who knows...if it's a very antique version of firmware...anything can happen

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 05:49:26 pm »
Hi,

thanks a lot - it was indeed the MAC range. I added 87675633664 to 87677730815 for it (I have not found the correct range on coffer.com, my MAC is 00:14:69:E0:51:59).
After that auto detection worked. However, the phone now cries about not finding `English_United_States/7980-kate.xml' and `United_States/7980-tones.xml' and keeps trying to register. I can't find these files on my core. Are they required or is something with the configuration wrong?
Another thing I noticed: the script `configure_cisco7970.pl' is not called automatically.

Regards Michel.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 09:11:10 am »
If the "configure_cisco7970.pl" wasn't call, you wouldn't see asking for "English_United_States/7980-kate.xml", do it WAS called.
It's the one which created a SEP<MAC> file in /tftpboot and correct entries in /etc/asterisk/sccp.conf.
Please check is asterisk is running
Code: [Select]
ps auxww | grep asteriskif not
/etc/init.d/asterisk start
then run as root
asterisk -rx 'sccp show devices'

As far as I know those files (lack of them) should not cause any problem, but the fact that it keeps asking for them says that you probably have a outdated firmware of the phone.
We are using chan_scpp in asterisk, and the author of it ALWAYS asks if you are running latest firmware from Cisco because looks like the first versions of firmware for 7970 are pretty buggy.
We can not distribute the firmware that is known to work, so you should get it from Cisco (another posibility is to connect to a call manager which has latest firmware). This operation should be done once, and after that the phone will continue to run latest firmware.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 04:44:58 pm »
I didn't say it wasn't run - it wasn't run automatically so I called it manually.

I will try to update the firmware. Thank you.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 05:15:31 pm »
Quote from: "wam"
thanks a lot - it was indeed the MAC range. I added 87675633664 to 87677730815 for it (I have not found the correct range on coffer.com, my MAC is 00:14:69:E0:51:59).

Hi Michael,

Could you explain me how to calculate the MAC range for phone MAC address?

Thanks in advance.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 04:36:51 pm »
Use
/usr/pluto/bin/convert_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX and it will show you a long number.

So if your phone's mac is 12:34:56:78:9A:BC then it's in in mac range 12:34:56:00:00:00 - 12:34:56:FF:FF:FF.

Which converted to numbers mean : 20015990439936 - 20016007217151

These are the numbers you should add to your device template.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 05:42:12 pm »
Thanks a lot, torindan. It was not clear for me :) Hope this night I'll install CISCO phone successfully.