Author Topic: Confirmed "out-of-box" graphics cards  (Read 5774 times)

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Confirmed "out-of-box" graphics cards
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:23:52 pm »
I'm looking for a listing of graphics cards (non-onboard) that work directly out of the box with no issues.  I know the wiki has some listed, but there are very few overall; and I've noticed gpu's being used on here that aren't listed on the wiki.  If you have one of these, or can confirm one, please post it here. 

The better comprehensive listing of graphic cards (or any hardware for that matter) that we can compile, the better suited we are to help new builders build better more efficient rigs....and not waste money on graphics cards that don't work...like I did.

jmcrtp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmed "out-of-box" graphics cards
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:34 pm »
I'm using the Nvidia 8500GT.  While I've seen many others having problems with it, other than loading the driver it works for me.  The issue is the xorg.conf file it seems.  I've not got mine up and running at 1080i perfectly.  It does have overscan pretty bad, my previous ATI card did not.  It is worth it to me to have the alpha-blending..  If you go with this card, load MCE, then when it first boots hit ESC to go to recovery mode, and download the envy package (albertomilone.com).  Load the nvidia driver, and keep going into recovery mode until you get your xwindows environment setup how you want, so you can run startx and get into the GUI.  I did it this way and it worked fine for me.  Once that was working I did the normal bootup, when through the setup process, etc.

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:57:41 pm »
I may have to try that with my 8600gts.  I've been having all sorts of issues with both my ATI and nVidia cards, so it's good to have some more insight.

jmcrtp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:55:18 pm »
yeah, I went through a lot of pain to get to where I am now.  I feel that Linux MCE is a lot of work to get running correctly, but its absolutely worth it!

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:37 pm »
I'll be trying it more tonight. Don't be surprised if you get a PM for more details on what you did.  Thanks again!

-crash

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:25:49 am »
I'm using the Nvidia 8500GT.  While I've seen many others having problems with it, other than loading the driver it works for me.  The issue is the xorg.conf file it seems.  I've not got mine up and running at 1080i perfectly.  It does have overscan pretty bad, my previous ATI card did not.  It is worth it to me to have the alpha-blending..  If you go with this card, load MCE, then when it first boots hit ESC to go to recovery mode, and download the envy package (albertomilone.com).  Load the nvidia driver, and keep going into recovery mode until you get your xwindows environment setup how you want, so you can run startx and get into the GUI.  I did it this way and it worked fine for me.  Once that was working I did the normal bootup, when through the setup process, etc.

Hey how exactly are you configuring youre xwindows enviornement from recovery?  All I'm getting is a black screen after the splash screen.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:24:19 pm »
Yeah the Envy package mentioned earlier already does that for me. 

When I installed the nVidia drivers myself and reconfigured the xorg.conf file to match I got the "Transparency" error, but now when I use the Envy package to do it for me I get a blank screen. 

I have to try it again tonight, I just got a new TV so I have to change my A/V anyway.

gruffnuff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:00:14 pm »
I have a e-GeForce 6200 256MB AGP Graphics Card using the nvidia drivers running well under UI2 with Alpha Blending on a Sony Vaio tower with a P4 processor.

Whatever card you are using, if it is an nvidia card, make sure the card is in before you install LMCE. The installer should autodiscover the card and install the nvidia proprietary drivers.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:03 pm »
I have a e-GeForce 6200 256MB AGP Graphics Card using the nvidia drivers running well under UI2 with Alpha Blending on a Sony Vaio tower with a P4 processor.

Whatever card you are using, if it is an nvidia card, make sure the card is in before you install LMCE. The installer should autodiscover the card and install the nvidia proprietary drivers.

Instead of dragging up old threads, why don't you put it in the wiki?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 10:32:41 pm »

Instead of dragging up old threads, why don't you put it in the wiki?

I totally agree with Zaerc... this type of info is far more useful in the Wiki ;-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 02:41:46 am »
I use the following cards:
7300 GT
7300 LE
9600 GT
All have 512MB ram. I use the alpha blend and I get some tearing but it is worth it to me.
Thanks