Author Topic: My MD's and Core  (Read 3565 times)

Zebra3

• View Profile
My MD's and Core
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:21:06 pm »
Hey everyone, below you will find my plans for what to build as a core and the MD's... I would like as much feedback as I can get before I build them.

I would like to know, both if you think something needs to be better, or, if you think something has more resources than it needs... I am of course trying to save money where I can, so, anything you can put here would be useful...

I live in Sweden, so my access to parts can be somewhat limited, keep that in mind... Thanks in advance.

My MD's
Omaura TF5 Chassi
Asus m3n78 - EMH HDMI
AMD Sempron LE-1150 2.0GHz Socket AM2, 256KB
OCZ Value Pro DDR2 PC25400/667MHz CL5 1x1024MB OCZ26671024V
SilentX 300W Ultra Silent PSU

My Core
Asus M3N-H/HDMI Socket AM2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0GHz Box Socket AM2
OCZ Nvidia SLI 2GB Kit 2x1024M
Antec Basiq Power 550W
Linksys EG1032-EU
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1100T
Pioneer BDC-202BK Blu-Ray Combo drive BD-ROM/DVD±RW BLACK Bulk SATA
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 32MB 1TB
Antec Three Hundred Chassi

Zebra3

• View Profile
Re: My MD's and Core
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:59:25 pm »
Zebra3,

I am working on the M3N78 board. I have yet to get it to boot up as a diskless md. have only tried the hdmi output at this point which does not work properly at this time even with the current 177.13 Nvidia Beta driver. I will not have time to play with this further until later in the week. So be advised this board is not working as a diskless MD at this point.

Dave

How about this board instead?
Asus M2N-CM DVI Socket AM2

My worry with this is no HDMI, how is the conversion from DVI to HDMI, using a cable... I have never seen it myself.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:16 am »
DVI and HDMI are the same video signal, no conversion - so you will get exactly the same image. Type both into wikipedia for more detail.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:16:48 am »
I can recommend ASUS M2NVM HDMI.
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=626&l4=0&model=1944&modelmenu=2

Have done a lot of testing and everything work out of the box except for sound over dhmi which I haven´t been able to test.
Can't get it working wih my panasonic plasma (50PX8). It´s probably a problem with my plasma screen.
The board have onbard DVI/HDMI with HDCP compatibility and have a couple of jumpers that you set to select DVI or HDMI output.
For audio over hdmi it use the azalia chip. Same as on several other asus motherboards.
It can handle 1080P. Did a few test yesterday and i seem to work fine.

There is only one minor issue that I have seen.
The card use nforce gigabit ethernet and you will see these "nv_nic_irq" messages is dmesg.
Though everything seem to work fine.
The messages can be supressed with the following module option.

options forcedeth max_interrupt_work=20

/niz23