Author Topic: hdb: drive not ready for command  (Read 2414 times)

dwhewlett

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
hdb: drive not ready for command
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:47:54 am »
Trying to install from DVD iso download.  Install appears to be fine but after restart keep getting the message:

[  xxx.xxxxxxxx] hdb: drive not ready for command, where the xxx.xxxxxxxxx is a number sequence the counts up as the message repeats itself.  The thing is there is only one harddrive (hda) and the DVD/CD, no hdb exists.  Anybody got any idea?  Would love some help, will check in the morning as I am going to bed now.  Thanks.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: hdb: drive not ready for command
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »
Trying to install from DVD iso download.  Install appears to be fine but after restart keep getting the message:

[  xxx.xxxxxxxx] hdb: drive not ready for command, where the xxx.xxxxxxxxx is a number sequence the counts up as the message repeats itself.  The thing is there is only one harddrive (hda) and the DVD/CD, no hdb exists.  Anybody got any idea?  Would love some help, will check in the morning as I am going to bed now.  Thanks.

hdb is likely your DVD drive, and it seems to be bad.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 01:57:03 pm by Zaerc »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dwhewlett

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: hdb: drive not ready for command
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:17:57 pm »
The only problem there is that the DVD drive is how I am loading the software so I know it works.  What I am wondering and will try later is should the DVD be the master and the HD be the slave?  If anyone knows anything else let me know.