Author Topic: Calling all UI Designers for new Basic Skin  (Read 48634 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all UI Designers for new Basic Skin
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2008, 11:39:17 pm »
i was afraid of that. We can overlay opaque buttons on top of a background like that right?

http://imagebin.ca/view/h5RxME_S.html

also is the idea of the wallpaper background that the user could swap out possible?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2008, 12:00:29 am »
sure.-Thom

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2008, 12:42:39 pm »
I agree fully with Thom that this needs to be done for all variations and while each variation doesn't have to be identical they should match.  For that reason I really dislike the idea of using these popups on the main menu.  In my opinion using them is this way is not practical and will likely lead to confusing the user.

rages

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2008, 01:12:59 pm »
why i can't open your link krys ?

rages

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2008, 01:17:19 pm »
thom, then the problem are the pop-ups and transparency?

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2008, 01:28:57 pm »
Rages, I really like those icons you made, can you put them on imageshack so I can get to them tho...web filter is blocking it right now.  I'd like to put them in a new mockup idea I came up with this morning.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2008, 05:50:14 pm »
To chime in with my $0.02..

I know that there is this media centered first approach that I worry is hindering different UIs.  While I agree that the media is the reason you're using LMCE in the first place, I think there should also be consideration regarding why someone is invoking the menu.  Almost the only time I display the menu is to change artist, or start a DVD, etc- activities where I don't care if the menu takes up the whole screen and probably prefer to have large, more accessible buttons to quicken the selection process.

For those other reddit readers out there, you may remember this post:  http://jonoscript.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/pie-in-the-sky/  For those with Firefox 3, the gist of the article is here: http://people.mozilla.com/~jdicarlo/piemenus.html

That's all fine and great w/o an example so fortunately for the gimp impaired like me, there's this:  http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/circular-application-menu-35967.shtml

I'm was more thinking of a spider web like interface where when you click one of the buttons the options available under that button are shown on the next out web- look at the top right circle menu on the Screenshot 2 on the above link.

Obviously, applying a circular interface on a square/rectangular screen leaves the corners unfilled.  But if you were to take some of the ideas presented in previous posts such as temperature/current user/current room you could put those items in the corners.

This same interface could be applied on all three interfaces and orbiters so all devices would look the same.  And, I think navigating would be quicker so even though you're filling up the screen with the menu, selecting items would be quicker allowing the menu to be retracted sooner.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2008, 06:07:23 pm »
can you come up with a proof of concept sketch?

-Thom

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2008, 06:36:06 pm »
The biggest issue with Piemenu's like that is navigating with a normal remote where you're using directional arrows as opposed to a gyro mouse.  It will become difficult at best for the user to predict which item will be focused next.  I have a seperate plan for a main menu that I will post this afternoon when I have more time which I think would meet your goals.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2008, 06:43:04 pm »
Here's the whaaa...  I've been trying with gimp, no luck.  Now going to install fireworks unless there is something better/free.  My copy of Macromedia's software is old.

If no other suggestions and fireworks doesn't work, I'll draw it by hand and scan it in.

los93sol, I agree.  Trying to figure out which sub-piemenu to open such as what was show in the drawing would be difficult.  I think what we have going for us is the "fairly" limited amount of pushable buttons required to get to the desired media.  My media button has only 6 items on it, and my climate menu none.  Presumably those could have a lot more if you add different radio stations and multiple split systems in a house that you would want to control via the climate buttons.  A pie menu with outward expanding menus would be limited in that the buttons on the outside would need to be big enough that you could push them.  This, compared with a linear menu where extra items could just be added to the list and have it scroll down.

I will try to draw up what I'm thinking.  Good to know that the knee jerk reaction was not a 'no way'.

rages

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2008, 07:45:13 pm »

I think that you can not create a UI that is good for a PhoneTouch and a touch screen 17 "...
I for example, I mounted a touch 17 "in the kitchen to watch TV, interact with the house, but I would like to have a great impact ... I would like to see graphic photos scroll, etc. ..
Probably I use with a remote control as well as with my finger

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2008, 08:02:22 pm »
We're talking about adding extra UIs, correct?  Not necessarily replacing UIs.  If one didn't fit a particular orbiter, UI1 or something else could be used instead.  Else, assuming you have a keyboard on your phone and LMCE listens for keystrokes (I don't know if it does), you could do something like this- http://www.donhopkins.com/drupal/node/128  where every button has an associated key. 

Still working on drawing, but this is sort of along the lines that I was thinking:
http://techknack.net/circular-menus-and-usability/   (the orange/white pie menu at the bottom)

Or this  http://doc.trolltech.com/qq/qq11-piemenu.html   is better
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:09:26 pm by jimmejames »

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2008, 12:12:26 am »
Rage...thanks for posting them and I appologize in advance for destroying them :P

At any rate this is another mockup I was considering for the main menu only and this would work nicely with virtually any device, though I still like my original layout better.
http://imagebin.ca/view/oQyhAo.html

If I had some talent with photoshop or equivalent I would have made the menu more rectangular so that only the four corners are rounded and the rest of the buttons would meet squarely at the inside edges...if that makes sense.  If anyone likes this idea can someone with more skill do a more proper mockup of what it would look like with a video or picture in the background and some nice black alpha behind the menu?

I think we should give up on the popup menu's on the main screen, they simply won't traverse over to any device and play nicely which means more work to support all devices appropriately and more confusion.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:16:04 am by los93sol »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2008, 03:40:08 am »
I did a new sketch for a replacement shortbutton2.png. Take it, try it out, color it , see what you think. Very simple to make, but effective.

http://www.localeconcept.com/pub/skinwork/shortbutton2.xcf

standard button should be saved as shortbutton2.png
highlighted button should be saved as shortbutton2s.png

put these in all the folders under Button with this filename present. It's separate so that you can color it differently etc.

-Thom