Author Topic: Calling all UI Designers for new Basic Skin  (Read 48542 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all UI Designers for new Basic Skin
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »
* tschak909 points to that sketch above. ;-)

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 09:21:08 pm »
*Krys scratches his head wondering what the hell tschak909 is pointing at, can a brother get a link.. I don't think my web filter is letting it through

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 09:22:49 pm »
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3946/mainmenumocksq2.png

That's the little sketchlet that los came up with.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 09:31:16 pm »
Thanks Thom.
As for the layout, I kind of like the roll over pop-up menu that currently exists. It is quick and requires less button pushing.
ex: you want to watch the movie "Iron Man"

UI2 -you bring up the menu, hover over media, click on video = 1 click
proposed- bring up menu, click media, click video = 2 clicks

maybe I just have a disposition for rollover pop-ups

The proposed system would also present a problem (IMHO) because if you wanted to go from the media page to the lighting page you would then need to click a "back" button then click lighting, where as in UI2 you would just move your mouse
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:34:24 pm by krys »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 09:35:12 pm »
okay, cool... diverging ideas...

let's try to develop both sketches a bit further as far as basic interaction.. even if it is just something we can print out, and tap our fingers on.

I'll try to block some color in to see what we could come up with color wise on los's sketch in the mean time..

nothing special, i'll just fill in the boxes with some colors/alpha and add a photo background.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 09:41:54 pm »
Is it possible to save drawings on wiki, as imageshack is blocked where I am at most of the day which leaves me to view on my iphone...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 09:42:12 pm »
To give an idea. This was a blocking that I did for a potential Compose Mail screen for orbiter:

http://imagebin.ca/view/TETagYe.html

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 09:43:01 pm »
wiki's uploads may still be broken.. if it is, try imageshack.ca ... :-/

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 09:43:55 pm »
not that i am aware of..
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »
Krys, I tend to agree that the popups are functionally quite slick, my logic is that less is more visibly and for me at least keeping the focus on the media is very important so the more of the media I can see the better in my mind.  I'm not opposed to the popups though, do you have some suggestions to pull it off cleanly with a vertical layout?

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 09:51:12 pm »
i can view imagebin.ca just fine, that looks nice thom, very clean and I like translucent overlays like that

Los, the wheels are turning... keep going on your route, and i will see if i can make a pop-up idea you can agree with

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
Thanks, just to note, this is just a blocking, I did it in about 5 mins to get an idea of space. I think we'll do a LOT of these. :)

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 10:48:20 pm »
I was thinking something similar to the current UI2 with a twist. How about instead of the column popping up directly over the tab on the bottom of the screen, the column always pops up on the left hand side like in this picture. This way the menu is never covering up middle (usually the focus of the media).  We would set it up to where you dont actually have to hover over the buttons that pop-up, just the pointer moving/down would highlight your selection.

http://imagebin.ca/view/8Va8qFk.html

imagine the black frame is the frame of your TV
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:52:23 pm by krys »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 11:13:27 pm »
Are you guys interested in end-user (ie me) suggestions?  I really doubt I'll have any time to actually help create UI updates, but as a user I have some ideas even if they may not be feasible.  I can also create some rough drawings (sticking to the recommended sizes for buttons and such).

For example, adding to the rough sketch los put up and the pop-up/new menu screen discussion.  Instead of a pop-up extending to the right from the item (media or whatever), have the item menu options (tv, audio, video, games, etc.) appear along the bottom of the screen or in a column on the right hand side.  Additionally, if possible also shrink the current media just enough to fit inside the "frame" created by the menu and top/side pop-ups using the same design object as the video in the on screen remote in the current UI1 (I hope I'm using at least close to the correct terminology).  To me this would give the slick gee-whiz factor so many people ask for while still maintaining the LMCE "media first" philosophy and retaining quick access to menu/submenu items.

Just off the top of my head while reading through the thread and I'm not sure how feasible it is, but I think it at least somewhat addresses all the "what about" questions. 

edit:  Looks like Krys had a similar idea as well.  I'm slow about replying after I open a thread in a new tab.  :)

randomblink

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 11:48:16 pm »
I'm not a Linux Programmer (yet), so I can't help out with anything other than visual ideas, wiki work, and my opinion.
Basic Skin Development Page

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to actually getting LinuxMCE installed once I buy my house. I start house shopping next week!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:50:37 pm by randomblink »