Author Topic: Kubuntu install issues / GRUB  (Read 2924 times)

monsieurtechnical

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Kubuntu install issues / GRUB
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »
Hi

Attempted several times to install Kubuntu on a PC with following specs:

MSI Neo Plat mobo (approx 3 years old)
P4HT 3GHz
3GB RAM
160GB SATA1 Maxtor HD
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 6600 AGP8x
Philips 19"LCD (using VGA as DVI used by another system). Will be plugging into 32" TV once set up.
PATA LG DVDRAM drive (primary master)
PATA ASUS CDRW drive (primary slave) - used for install

Partitions set up manually are as follows:
32MB ext3 mounted as /boot
8192MB ext3 mounted as /
512MB used as swap
rest of drive (ext3) mounted as /home

Installation of grub chosen on sda (hard disk is identified as this rather than hd0)

Installation although painfully slow, progresses all the way through to grub installation which fails. Gordon Ramsay he cries, as a subsequent reboot is initiated. Hard disk boot fails as grub is not there.
Tried booting from live CD, selecting 'Boot from first hard disk' only to have 'Boot failure from previous device' error staring nastily into my face.

I've referred to the file system setup on my existing Ubuntu installation (AMD64 running on an Intel C2D w/ 4GB RAM and SATAII hard drive, IDE DVD drive) which is as sweet as a child's favourite desert and replicated it to the P4.

It is Friday night and I was hoping to have got a Media Centre installed on top of this, with beer in hand but now have a PC that I've wasted 4 hours attempting to install.

Any suggestions to get Kubuntu installed successfully (with Grub) would be very much appreciated as I'm really keen to get LMCE up and running.

Many thanks in advance.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Kubuntu install issues / GRUB
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:38:30 pm »
Why are you installing Kubuntu at all? Have you read the instructions on the wiki download and associated pages? If so, what is the reason you are not using the DVD?

Whatever method you use, you shouldnt be tinkering with Kubuntu's partitions.

Method 1: download DVD, burn on the slowest speed (this is important!), boot from DVD and allow it to install the entire LMCE system. Note - do not have any other data on the drive as it recreates the partitions as it needs them.

Method 2: Dont do this unless method 1 fails! CD install .... Details to follow once DVD installation failure confirmed or read the wiki

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 01:27:50 am »

monsieurtechnical

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:09:57 pm »
Hi

Quick update. Set about downloading the DVD iso before heading to bed and left it till this morning. Only weighing in at 1.9 GB it didn't work. Trying again to download the full ISO. Will update when successful.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:33:58 am »
Hi,

I had lots of problems trying to download DVD versions of LMCE because of network throttling by ISP.

It was much easier to download the CD's even though it take so long to install.

32-bit works much better than 64-bit application.  Lots of headaches with 64-bit.