Author Topic: UI2 onscreen remote?  (Read 3315 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
UI2 onscreen remote?
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:53:46 pm »
Under UI1 when watching a video if you press an arrow key it brings up an onscreen "remote control" for the video/lights.  Is there any way to get a similar remote onscreen when pushing an arrow key when running UI2?

Background:  I'm using a cheap-o remote on my MD that is basically a mini wireless keyboard that looks like a remote control, arrow keys, number keys, I think chan up/down are pg up/down...  No F[1-12] keys.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: UI2 onscreen remote?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:35:47 pm »
No, there are no matching designobjs for UI2 in this capacity. You could make one in Designer, though.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 05:59:43 pm »
That's what I figured, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

On a related note, is there any way to control MythTV enough to get back to the main MythTV menu or exit MythTV back to LMCE using the same limited "keyboard" remote?  MythTV requires <ESC> with or without a modifier alt/cntrl/shift/whatever.  Is there any way to map one of the keys in LMCE to send MythTV <ESC> when another key is pressed? 

If via Designer and possibly other config for the <ESC> thing I can get this cheap remote fully functional I may give it a shot.  Otherwise I will just have to spend the money and buy a real remote + USBUIRT like everyone else (and what I did for my main core/md).

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:37:43 pm »
quick update, I'm looking at doing the key mapping via xmodmap instead of through LMCE.  Hopefully I can get it to do what I want/need for controlling Myth.  Maybe even for LMCE?  If I get it going good enough to control UI2 (video playback is the biggie) I'll post up a quick HOWTO and possibly even try to figure out how to post on the wiki for those of us who would rather go with a dirt cheap remote that works instead of buying a UIRT+MS/FIIRE remote with all the bells and whistles.

Not sure if xmodmap is going to cut it for making it work in UI2 though, as far as I know there are no keyboard equivalents for direct media control and I'm not sure how to do it.  The remote "does stuff" in xine but not in Xine_Player, at least not through LMCE.

edit:  Is there anywhere that I can see what function is mapped to what key input?  ie - what does the key "XF86Back" do in LMCE, if anything?  How does the left arrow get mapped to "left" in LMCE?  Or is all the mapping done outside of LMCE completely and it requires X to send it things like "live_tv" when the appropriate button is pressed? 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:06:32 pm by skeptic »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:57:31 pm »
nobody ever seems to listen to me...

you can't do that. You're barking up the wrong tree...

but go ahead, prove me wrong... I'm only one of the devs... :)

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 09:17:51 pm »
nobody ever seems to listen to me...

you can't do that. You're barking up the wrong tree...

but go ahead, prove me wrong... I'm only one of the devs... :)

-Thom

Errr...  Not trying to prove you wrong or do something you said can't be done.  Unless I misunderstood you, which is very possible.  You said there is no on-screen remote for UI2 without creating one in designer so I'm not even going to try.

What I'm trying to do is get this HID remote to send LMCE the commands LMCE expects.  For example, I used xmodmap to change the power button to send "Escape" and now I can use this remote to navigate MythTV, get back to the main MythTV menu, exit Myth completely...  I'm hoping I can use the same thing to send other keys that LMCE expects, but unlike Myth where I know it wants "Escape" to back out, I have no idea what LMCE expects for various functions.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:16 pm »
*hmm*

Orbiter does not have "key mappings" for most of its functions.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »
*hmm*

-Thom

Ok, thanks, that helps.

Apparently it's frustrating for you to answer these questions, adding in *hmm* and comments like "but go ahead, prove me wrong... I'm only one of the devs..."  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help.  I don't know all the ins and outs of LMCE, but I don't need to be chided for it. 

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 12:46:29 am »
*hmm*

-Thom

Really big *hmm*

Having a keystroke interface to the orbiter would help a lot when trying to integrate various non-IR remotes.

From the little I've looked in the source, each DCE object appears to be responsible for reading and handling keystrokes.  I.e., there does not appear to be a common keyboard dispatcher.  Please correct me if I'm wrong (it's been many years since I've had to read so much raw C++).  For example, the xine_player has some keystroke handling code that seems to be not doing anything.

Thank you,
Roy