Author Topic: My First Install In SA  (Read 2325 times)

isolderj

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
My First Install In SA
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:55:36 am »
I live in South Africa and am gona build my first Linux MCE tonight.  I want ot be able to use hardware that is easily available and a little less expensive.  I have questions I would like answered before I start.

1) If I use a Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard will I be able to control the UI with it.

2) If Yes, Can I then still use the following functionality from Media Director to Media Director. 

3) Is there a cheaper alternative to the Hauppage Cards and the Gyro-Station remotes.

Both of which are pretty pricy to import and even more expensive here.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: My First Install In SA
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:23:41 pm »
(1) no.

(2) no.

(3) we currently only have device templates for the Hauppauge PVR 150/250/500/USB2. Everything else must be manually configured.

-Thom

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: My First Install In SA
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:59:52 am »
I'm not sure if I have missed something here but if you are talking about building a core/hybrid I would have thought the answers would be;

(1) Yes, you should be able to control the UI via Bluetooth mouse/keyboard. I used a Bluetooth Keyboard (with a pad) for a while before I got a Gyro. It is a little clumsy compared with a proper gyro remote or touch screen orbiter (you need to press keys like F6, F7 etc to get some menus) but it should work.

(2) As I think Thom is suggesting the follow-me won't work. You would probably need to repair the devices each time you want to switch from the Hybrid to an MD... The Gyration Remote GYR3101US is a cheap alternative to the Fiire Chief but keep in mind it doesn't work out of the box and you won't get all the keys mapped like with the Fiire remote.

Cheers,
WR.