Author Topic: "UPDATED" Nvidia Driver install on MD (My Solution)  (Read 2987 times)

rodercot

"UPDATED" Nvidia Driver install on MD (My Solution)
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:41:57 pm »
 Hey All,

Another note to help I hope. On the weekend when I setup the MD. I kept having to change the md's xorg from the default of UseEdid = False. but it kept overwriting it when I would change it to true. I tried the exit fix but to no avail. So finally this is what I did again not sure if it's right but it worked for me.  I was using all 8500 or 8600 GT cards in my systems. This driver is the same for all 8 series gpu's.

NOTE: This is complete only on a completely setup MD that has already run the setup wizard and fully functioning so before doing these steps you should have your ui1 or 2 showing flickr as your screen saver and all remote controls should be functioning. I chose not too control my TV at this time, which I think was a mistake as when I did go into setup my TV after the fact with the setup wiz, it kept giving me a Device is installed but will not work until some files are downloaded from the inet. I assume these are remote Ir files as I tried to add the two inputs to my tv prior to setting it up and got the same error. I just had to keep installing the tv until the error was history and another point with my tv setup anyhow, when you first setup the tv on rs232 it does not see the com port on the first try, I need to choose the pci bus item it finds and then the wizard will ask if this is the tv I say NO then I choose sharp - aquos and this time it shows me com1 on core I pick it and then choose the input let the wizard finish and then reload, once back at the UI - I goto power - power off display I do this a few time before it actually seems to power off and on correctly with no delays.

On the core or hybrid

ctl-alt-f2 - (F1) does not work for me.

Login to LMCE then type sudo su and enter then password again

Then ssh into your md I use the ip address as not to mix up the md's and it will return (on the core type ssh 192.168.80.#) hit enter

root@moon##$

Now type this at the prompt.

wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/<version>/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-<version>-pkg1.run

Then hit enter (the version I used is 173.14.05) I noticed they removed the 173.14.09 directory or at least it gave me an error looking for it.
 Now let it dwnd the latest driver.
 Once back at the prompt still root@moon##$ type telinit 1
 Now go to the MD in question it will have already killed X and will be waiting your response with the question enter or hit ctrl-d only hit enter
 then use your arrow up or down to find the last line you typed at the core which would have been the wget line. now edit that line to read.

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-<version>-pkg1.run (so just backspace your original wget line from before the start of the captial N in Nvidia and remove the forward slash then type in sh and a space and hit enter.

Then follow the Nvidia prompts from there SAY NO to the first warning of the run level 1 error. When completed the MD will return to a prompt for you.  read the prompts from nvidia do not just breeze through it, it will build a kernal for you so you can say no to the wanting to search for one. You can say yes when it ask if you want to overwrite your existing xorg file (YOU NEED TO DO THIS)

root@moon##$  reboot or restart.

upon reboot you will have full screen in Native resolution. I have a 52" sharp aquos but will be setting another up on a Konka 32" 1080I tv which is who builds the LG (not sure of models) but at costco they are the exact same TV less the side panel inputs and no rs-232 that I have found yet.

Now! if you looked at your xorg.conf before the upgrade it for some reason does not show the EXACT video card or TV you are using when you look after the upgrade for me it lists Nvidia 8600GT and Sharp Aquos as the display.

Thanks to Zaerc for the wget and wiki info about doing this in the first place on a hybrid or core. I just played around until I got it to take on the md. My main problem was trying to get to the root off the MD through the core. I dug in the forums until I found the commands I needed.

If you need to edit the xorg.conf past this point it is now the Nvidia newest xorg and you can use there new editing tool which is quite simple, check out the read me file for that driver at nvidia's web-site.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.05/README/chapter-03.html

So for instance once in the xorg editor you can type TVstandard = HD1080i enter and reboot the md and it will be 1080i same with mode lines etc. you do not have to use vi or another editor to do so they can be command line inputs BUT from within the Nvidia xorg editor. using the man command to call up the editor really helped as the description in the man is a lot better than the read me file. but the read me will tell you how to get to and into the editor to start using it.

man nvidia-xconfig is the command on the md for the manual and nvidia-xconfig is for the editor.

Hope this helps you some, i tried almost all day to get it to change the res from the orginal xorg.conf with no luck.  Sorry about all the modifies, I have all this written down and I keep remembering things that I did not write down so I am writing them now here.

regards,

Dave

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:52:19 pm by rodercot »

rodercot

Re: Nvidia Driver install on MD (My Solution)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:51:24 pm »
UPDATE to this tutorial.

Do not use the nvidia-xconfig tool after installation of the driver as it will try to write to your xorg.conf file that belongs to the hybrid or core instead do this.

I fixed it still with the workaround but in fact the Xconfigure script that needs to be modified is here

/usr/pluto/diskless/XX/usr/pluto/bin/Xconfigure.sh add the following lines immediately below the #!/bin/bash:

echo "$0 neutered to preserve custom xorg.conf"
   exit 0

Thanks again to the wiki for the above two lines. I am not sure who submitted that page but thanks to you as well.

then you can edit the xorg.conf file in /usr/pluto/diskless/XX/etc/X11

XX = the number assigned to your media director.

I just changed mine to 1080i from 720p and it looks great. I had to change the tv standard line to "HD1080i" and I a little lower in the file I changed the existing 1280 720 to 1920 1080 and left the res at 24 and then changed the 1280x720 to 1920x1080 upon reboot it reloaded the orbiter from scratch and then came up full screen 1080i. I get a little flickr in the Video Menus using UI2 with no alpha but movies look great.

I use vi but I guess you can use nano to edit as well and I did this on an putty session to the hybrid then I chose advanced reset generic pc as md on the md itself.

Hope this helps.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:54:21 pm by rodercot »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Nvidia Driver install on MD (My Solution)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:44:17 pm »
 Do not use the nvidia-xconfig tool after installation of the driver as it will try to write to your xorg.conf file that belongs to the hybrid or core instead do this.

You're not supposed to run that tool on another machine (like the core) at all, but only on the machine you are (re-)configuring. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "UPDATED" Nvidia Driver install on MD (My Solution)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:19:50 am »
Zaerc is right...I believe you just invoked that command on your core.

blahbla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:21 pm »
should this still work?
I got stuck at this part:
Once back at the prompt still root@moon##$ type telinit 1
 Now go to the MD in question it will have already killed X and will be waiting your response with the question enter or hit ctrl-d only hit enter

my md will just hang and not respond to anything but ctrl-alt-del after I type telinit 1

Medrawd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:11:07 pm »
doing:

sudo killall lmce_launch_manager.sh
sudo killall  Start_X_Wrapper.sh

kills xserver and lmce stuff without hanging machine.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:22:36 pm by Medrawd »