Author Topic: S-video and Composite Not working on my MD  (Read 4915 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
S-video and Composite Not working on my MD
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:11 pm »
Ok, So I finally got around to installing my MD on my living room TV. I have an older TV, not flat or plasma or LCD, we are old school. I cannot get S-video or composite to work. I have tried 2 different video cards and neither one work. I went through all the different settings and nothing ever changes on my screen. Is there anyone else having this issue?
Any thoughts or suggestions... or should I just eat it and go get a new TV with DVI or HDMI in?
Core: Broken :(

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: S-video and Composite Not working on my MD
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:56:58 pm »
Did you try the 1-5 keys on the keyboard after hearing the tones confirming your at the resolution screen?
(1=DVI, 2=VGA, 3=Component, 4=Composite, 5=S-Video).  Keep in mind that you have to wait anywhere from5-15 seconds normally to see if the change took effect...

If you have tried this, then my only other suggestion would be that its the video card, and a new video card is much cheaper than a new tv with VGA inputs :)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:04 pm »
I was just going through the initial setup. So.. on the green screen where I pic the format of s-video I pick what I want and then the 15 second countdown starts and nothing changes on the TV. I have a monitor connected so I can see what I am doing. I remember on 7.04 I was able to connect S-video and make the changes on setup and they would come to effect right away. Is that how it is supposed to work?

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:26:02 pm »
well if you have a VGA monitor hooked up, then you won't neeed the 1-5 keys of course. I was just saying to wait 5-15 seconds because people that don't have a VGA monitor connected sometimes don't give it enough time for video to show up on the TV.

What video card are you using?

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:37:01 pm »
Well, I was using an older Nvida geforce card. It worked in 7.04 when I was using it in my test system. Though I went through the setup with the monitor when I couldn't get it to work with the TV and I kept getting stuck in a loop later on in the install when the orbiter was trying to render the screens. So, I took it out and put in an ATI card that I had around to use in the mean time until I got a new Nvida card. I was able to get through the initial setup up to the actual setup wizard but I quit there because I still could not figure out why my S-video was not working. I know the TV S-video works because I used it for the dvd player before.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:24:09 pm »
any chance that the S-Video is disabled if VGA is hooked up?

How old is the card? I have a couple Geforce 5200 running with no problem

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:30:43 pm »
Here is the video card I have.
http://www.leadtek.com/eng/3d_graphic/overview.asp?lineid=1&pronameid=22

It is a Gforce MX 4000.
I don't think the S-video has been turned off. I have used the card before in a test core I had set up using 7.04 and it worked with UI2 with translucency. Now it wont work with my s-video and it wont make it all the way though to the set-up wizard.
The card is pretty old so I am not bummed about it or anything. I am in the market for a new TV anyway... So if I can't get it to work I will eventually just get a new TV and a new card.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:01:21 pm »
I was just going through the initial setup. So.. on the green screen where I pic the format of s-video I pick what I want and then the 15 second countdown starts and nothing changes on the TV. I have a monitor connected so I can see what I am doing. I remember on 7.04 I was able to connect S-video and make the changes on setup and they would come to effect right away. Is that how it is supposed to work?

I have one TV in my setup using SVideo for the video in feed.

Never had any problems with it. I run the A/V Wizard upon bootup (by holding down the shift key after the first set of chirps) until I hear a confirmation beep, and the A/V Wizard will start up.

From there, I select SVideo, NTSC-M and afterwards, pretty well everything else comes off the television screen.

No need to go out and buy new equipment as long as you know you have cables connected up properly. Remember that most likely the SVideo cable is going from your video card to your SVideo in on the TV. Make sure you don't have the yellow RCA video jack connected at the same time... most (older) TV's suggest connecting only one video cable to the TV... and make sure you're on the SVideo input on the TV.

Our big 32" Toshiba TV has just stopped working... all it does now is blink the red power light, so I ordered a 42" LCD for use in the living-room ;-) and will switch to HDMI -> DVI shortly.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:18:34 am »
fearingsept,

I wonder if your MD is using the newer nvidia driver and needs to be using the older one?

I have an onboard 6150 that works fine through sVideo to an older TV but I think your older board might need to have a different version of the nvidia driver.

I think that there is some wiki page which guides you through setting up a different display driver but havn't had to do it so not sure.

Regards
Darren

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:31:33 pm »
I wonder if your MD is using the newer nvidia driver and needs to be using the older one?

You know, I think you might be right.
I have used that same card in an Ubuntu 7.10 system before and I believe I had to actually go to Nvida's web site and download their legacy driver and install that. It wasn't a problem in Kubuntu or Ubuntu 7.04. I hardly remember doing it because it was a while ago and it was one of those things that didn't really take me long to figure out. LMCE is a little different obviously so I didn't want to just go in and start changing video drivers. I tried that once and the result was not good.