Author Topic: WAYNE-DALTON Z-WAVE® THERMOSTAT  (Read 52045 times)

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: WAYNE-DALTON Z-WAVE® THERMOSTAT
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 06:15:36 pm »
Hello all - Any updates on this item?

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 01:13:06 am »
Hello all - Any updates on this item?
I haven't heard any.  My offer still holds, Hari said if he could get SSH access, he would look at it but I'm sure he's as busy as everyone else is, working on 810's Alpha2 problems.  I'll open it up whenever he or someone else has the time.  I have two Wayne Daltons working but needing Fahrenheit in a bad way before I can re-include them back into my Z-Wave mesh.

Thanks,
Charles

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 01:47:19 pm »
I've added temp readouts recently, the proper events should be sent now. Did anybody test the latest version on 0810?
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 04:21:28 pm »
I've added temp readouts recently, the proper events should be sent now. Did anybody test the latest version on 0810?

Hari, although I need Fahrenheit, I'll set my temps for Celsius and rebind them today and check it out.

Charles

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 04:33:34 pm »
ill see if i can update today and check mine out

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2009, 06:13:46 pm »

Hari, although I need Fahrenheit, I'll set my temps for Celsius and rebind them today and check it out.

Charles
don't get me wrong, no offense, but everybody uses the metric system.. besides.. you get it. So I don't really feel like adding fahrenheit support, I have no use for it. I will assist by doing the z-wave dce device side. But somebody needs to extend the DCE command set temperature, the web admin, the orbiter and add a system wide option for it.

br, Hari

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009, 06:51:38 pm »

Charles
don't get me wrong, no offense, but everybody uses the metric system.. besides.. you get it. So I don't really feel like adding fahrenheit support, I have no use for it. I will assist by doing the z-wave dce device side. But somebody needs to extend the DCE command set temperature, the web admin, the orbiter and add a system wide option for it.

br, Hari
No offense taken Hari, and thanks for getting back to me.  Yes you are correct, I do get it.  But no one else in the house does without confusion.  Here in the US, and quite possibly we're behind the rest of the world, everybody grew up referencing temperatures using the Fahrenheit table.  So the "Celsius" world for most folks that I know is annoying because there exists constant translation, it doesn’t happen naturally for them.

I've done programming in the past so I don't mind getting my hands dirty if need be.  I've been preparing to set up a development core for LinuxMCE anyway and this will just give me the reason to not put it off any longer.

Again, I appreciate all that you and many others have contributed to the LinuxMCE project.  It's a wonderful and feature rich product.

Best Regards,
Charles

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 07:07:48 pm »
ok, cool, get your env prepared. I'm just adding a "unit" parameter to the set temp command. Merkur offered help with extending the web admin:
18:20 < merkur2k> im sure i can handle the web admin side, i just cant test it

br, Hari

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »
ok, cool, get your env prepared. I'm just adding a "unit" parameter to the set temp command. Merkur offered help with extending the web admin:
18:20 < merkur2k> im sure i can handle the web admin side, i just cant test it

br, Hari

Thanks, hopefully by tomorrow, my test core will be up and running.  In the mean time, I'll switch my 2 Thermostats on my working system to Celsius to test your added temp readouts.  Also, as I said before, I'll be glad to open my system up to a developer to dig into if they so desire, especially if I get into trouble.

Thanks, Charles
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:31:29 pm by rocketlynx »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 11:29:33 pm »

Hari, I've got one of my Wayne Daltons set to Celsius and bound to my Z-Wave mesh and LinuxMCE recognizes it properly as a standard thermostat.  I've tested the My Scenario buttons and they all command the thermostat properly and it responds as requested.  However, the scenario buttons for +1 and -1 degree fail and both set the thermostat immediatley to 2.0C when pressed. 

Also, the Climate Floorplan never shows a change, it shows the thermostat at On/Cool (25) no matter what the setting or the thermostat is really set for or currently reading.  Is the floorplan display and functions still not finished?

Charles

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2009, 03:26:42 am »
Any progress on the thermostat? I was going to order a couple, but will hold off if they aren't supported in LinuxMCE yet.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 04:18:53 pm »

Hari, I've got one of my Wayne Daltons set to Celsius and bound to my Z-Wave mesh and LinuxMCE recognizes it properly as a standard thermostat.  I've tested the My Scenario buttons and they all command the thermostat properly and it responds as requested.  However, the scenario buttons for +1 and -1 degree fail and both set the thermostat immediatley to 2.0C when pressed. 

Also, the Climate Floorplan never shows a change, it shows the thermostat at On/Cool (25) no matter what the setting or the thermostat is really set for or currently reading.  Is the floorplan display and functions still not finished?

Charles

Charles,
I know that Hari told me at one point that only absolute values have been programmed at this point ie: 23, 42, 12. relative values have not yet been implemented, +1, -1 etc.

Donpaul,
Hari has done some work on the zwave driver for the thermostat and it can be turned on/off, switched between heat/cool, and you can set it to an absolute temperature (for temp adjustment the thermostat must be in Celsius mode, and the temp sent must be in Celsius). Hari has no desire to do the work to convert from C to F as he is in Europe and doesn't need it. SO, long story short... the ground work has been laid and currently the thermostat is partially functional, all we need now is someone with some programming experience to step up and tie up the loose ends. Unfortunately no one as of yet has been able to tackle this project.
-Krys

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »
+1 / -1 needs a bit more work on my side, my brain is already preparing the code. Regarding F/C, I don't even have a working thermostat here right now.

best regards,
Hari

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 09:34:00 pm »

Hari, I've got one of my Wayne Daltons set to Celsius and bound to my Z-Wave mesh and LinuxMCE recognizes it properly as a standard thermostat.  I've tested the My Scenario buttons and they all command the thermostat properly and it responds as requested.  However, the scenario buttons for +1 and -1 degree fail and both set the thermostat immediatley to 2.0C when pressed.  

Also, the Climate Floorplan never shows a change, it shows the thermostat at On/Cool (25) no matter what the setting or the thermostat is really set for or currently reading.  Is the floorplan display and functions still not finished?

Charles

Charles,
I know that Hari told me at one point that only absolute values have been programmed at this point ie: 23, 42, 12. relative values have not yet been implemented, +1, -1 etc.

Donpaul,
Hari has done some work on the zwave driver for the thermostat and it can be turned on/off, switched between heat/cool, and you can set it to an absolute temperature (for temp adjustment the thermostat must be in Celsius mode, and the temp sent must be in Celsius). Hari has no desire to do the work to convert from C to F as he is in Europe and doesn't need it. SO, long story short... the ground work has been laid and currently the thermostat is partially functional, all we need now is someone with some programming experience to step up and tie up the loose ends. Unfortunately no one as of yet has been able to tackle this project.
-Krys

OK Guys, Thanks for all of the responses.  I've got some programming experience so I'll be able to help as soon as I get time from my real job to set up my Development system.  I'm already using my Wayne-Daltons in the Fahrenheit mode, albeit, a little crippled.  I've got them set in the "F", Fahrenheit modes and I can send them Celsius commands and they respond with the appropriate Fahrenheit temp.  This is not the greatest way of doing things but it keeps all of the household from going "Bonkers".  

Now, for example if I want the downstairs thermostat to go to around 80F degrees at night, because all of our bedrooms are upstairs, I set up a timed event for the downstairs thermostat at 11:00pm, with a Set-Temperature of 27.  When the command goes out, the thermostat immediately responds and changes the target temp to "81F which is a rounded equivalent from 27.22C the equal of 81F".  

Since there is no exact conversion from two-digit Celsius  to two-digit Fahrenheit, you cannot get the exact temp you might want with this work-around.

The unit and LinuxMCE will round it to the closest Fahrenheit setting, hence, 25C = 77F, 26C gets you 79F and 27C responds with 81F on the thermostat.  Theoretically, to set 78 degrees Fahrenheit, you would need to send the command of 25.55C but this gets ignored and rounded down to 25C and the result is 77F.  

This results in many desired target temps being unachievable but this is only a temporary fix and I admit, this is a very awkward way of things behaving but it lets me use the Wayne-Dalton units temporarily in the Fahrenheit mode.

Also, since the +1 and -1 temp sets do not work in either Celsius or Fahrenheit modes, I have just created and array of many "My Scenarios" Orbiter buttons with many different temp settings for both my Upstairs and Downstairs Wayne-Dalton Thermostats.

This gets me by and I will hopefully be set up and working on a final fix with you guys by this weekend.  When I got my Thermoststs, I guess I thought the Orbiter templates read out the correct current temperatures when in the Celsius mode but when I saw that that also wasn't completed, I said, screw it, I'll stay in the crippled, Fahrenheit mode until we get it right for all who need it in either mode!

Charles

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2009, 05:02:00 am »
This gets me by and I will hopefully be set up and working on a final fix with you guys by this weekend.  When I got my Thermoststs, I guess I thought the Orbiter templates read out the correct current temperatures when in the Celsius mode but when I saw that that also wasn't completed, I said, screw it, I'll stay in the crippled, Fahrenheit mode until we get it right for all who need it in either mode!

Charles

Thanks Charles, that's awesome! My wife would bludgeon me daily if I made her use Celsius!