Author Topic: Let's pull together for hardware support OTB  (Read 3342 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Let's pull together for hardware support OTB
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:53 am »
I am assuming I'm not alone here in that I have been unsuccessful in wrapping my head around GSD and device templates and ruby and all that jazz, so I've been trying to come up with ways to help.  I understand this is open source and the general consensus is if you want something then buckle down, read, and learn, but what about this.  I think everyone would agree there are regularly posts about support for xx or yy hardware on the boards that come up, some get resolved by the community, others just forget about it and give up, and some scrap their existing hardware in favor of buying supported gear.  That said, are any of the regular developers would be interested in getting paid for adding support for xx or yy hardware?  I know I'd be willing to put down $50 and could provide remote access to help aid the development to save me having to buy a whole new alarm panel or buying a bunch of GC100's and re-wiring/scrapping my existing panel.  I can only imagine there are several others that would be willing to do the same.  I'm know there are people here that could care less what my opinion is since I'm not really an established member, but I'd like to see the development turned toward hardware support for awhile to get a broader range of support running to make setup easier and more versatile to what people already have.  That said, the only way I see to attract someone to work on development for something they don't care about and aren't getting paid for is to pay them for their time and help where I can.  So...am I the only one who would be willing to pay to get xx or yy hardware supported?  Are any regular developers interested in this route?  Should we pull together and get a list going of hardware we'd like to see support for/how many people have xx or yy hardware and the pools involved for each?  If this is something that takes off, can LMCE's long-standing developers hold funds in a pool until development is complete so that nobody will get shafted on their money (I mean both users and developers)?  Just some questions that would need definitive answers to them if this is going to happen, let me know what you think.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Let's pull together for hardware support OTB
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57:18 am »
Try a post in the Marketplace->Help Wanted with your offer and you will likely get some takers. That is what that forum area was intended for.

I responded to one in there, more so because I already wanted it for my own setup and this just raised the priority.

Regards
Darren

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Let's pull together for hardware support OTB
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:32 am »
los93sol, I know you did not meant it that way, but that's a slap in the face.

The core developers are doing that _for fun_, not for some 50 bucks. If you want paid support/engineering, go to pluto/dianemo/centersonic.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation