Author Topic: Window Shares Keep Dropping ( Possible Bug !! )  (Read 15246 times)

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Window Shares Keep Dropping ( Possible Bug !! )
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 08:31:58 pm »
on the internal side of the core it is running dhcp which the mds get there address from and any orbiters but the storage boxes have the ip address assigned by me to 192.168.80.2 and 192.168.80.3 for the second box this should not be a problem just because dhcp is running dosnt mean you cant hard code an ip address to a computer,  After a lease is up on an ip address sometimes a new address can be assigned this is eliminated by me manualy setting the ip

Actually configuring ip-addresses manually that are within the DHCP range is a huge problem. 

From /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf:
Code: [Select]
subnet 192.168.80.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        next-server 192.168.80.1;
        filename "/tftpboot/pxelinux.0";
        option pxelinux.reboottime = 30;

default-lease-time 86400;
        max-lease-time 604800;
        pool {
                 allow unknown-clients;
                 range 192.168.80.129 192.168.80.253;
        }
}

The lease pool is .129-.253, so it's ok to have static IP machines in .2-.128.  I've had no problems having a static IP server (.20) with a NFS share.  Simply follow the instructions on the wiki to manually add the servers and shares.

One note in favour of using DHCP is that once LinuxMCE assigns an IP to a file server, it binds the MAC address to a fixed IP address (see the group section in dhcpd.conf), so for all practicable purposes the server's address is static (at least until you change NIC cards).

I suspect that Collin is on the right track suspecting that dual homing the servers is the culprit.  It might be time to dust off wireshark to see exactly why the connections to the CIFS shares are being rejected.

HTH,
Roy

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 11:00:49 pm »
roy, you missed an important part:

Code: [Select]
# PXE booting machines
group {
next-server 192.168.80.1;
filename "/tftpboot/pxelinux.0";
option pxelinux.reboottime = 30;

# Silverstone (44)
host moon44 { hardware ethernet 00:19:DE:AD:BE:EF; fixed-address 192.168.80.2; }
        [...]
}

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 11:24:55 pm »
Roy - not sure Zaerc meant you can't have static IPs, of course you can .... I think the point was that doing so bypasses an important element in the autodiscovery process (and therefore the autoconfig process for media devices)

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 12:30:31 am »

Actually I didn't miss it, just didn't communicate clearly (I should have said "device" instead of "file server"):

One note in favour of using DHCP is that once LinuxMCE assigns an IP to a file server, it binds the MAC address to a fixed IP address (see the group section in dhcpd.conf), so for all practicable purposes the server's address is static (at least until you change NIC cards).

Also the OP's addresses are .2, & .3, which are not in the lease pool range so are perfectly fine addresses, provided that LinuxMCE knows about them.

That is the real key: LinuxMCE must know about all systems on the internal lan, preferably by DHCP, but perfectly acceptable to manually add via pluto-admin. 

Sorry for the digression as I doubt that using static IPs is MANDINGO's problem.

HTH,
Roy

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 06:18:08 am »
Well just for Sh-ts and giggles i decided that im gonna redo my core and set my storage boxes to auto on the nics, do i feel if this is gonna fix my problem, no but to rule out any config issues im gonna do that, also gonna disable the second nics in the storage boxes as so the only network that its connected to is the lmce.  Ill post back when im done long story short i will have 2 xp machines with sharing enabled connected via gigabit to the internal of the core with mds on the internal all set to auto config on nics,  :-\  Oh and just so i understand correctly when the file server is detected and i go under devices and look at the shares the disk online box should be checked, thats gonna be the first thing i look for !!!!! here goes
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 07:56:01 am »
Yes, the check box indicates the status as LMCE sees it, but if unticked you can tick it and it will try to force back on line - usually takes a few seconds to fail if it is going to, so keep hitting refresh.

If you find the tickbox keeps unticking itself, go to a terminal or KDE desktop and try navigating to /home/public/data/audio/Windows Share <name> look for your media and try to play some. Sounds strange, but under some circumstances the media is perfectly visible and playable to KDE desktop, but not in the media grid in LMCE. Incidentally, in those circumstances the media is still findable and playable in LMCE using the Search function rather than browsing the media grid. I have found this in the past related to the smbfs/cifs issue. Sounds like that isn't an issue for you, but worth a try esp as I was getting the CIFS error -11 as well (but not the others you mentioned)

If the autodetect process does not prompt you for username and password for your shares (use the LMCE structure BTW!) then enter them in the web admin - personally I put them in both the server and share objects to be sure!

Try enabling security logging on your XP boxes and look for successful and failed security audit events - these will tell you which account LMCE is trying to use and whether it is the username or password or something else that is causing a failure. Let me know if you need to know how to do this.

Get a known good cat5 cable (seriously, go to the store and buy a cat6 patch lead and move one of the XP boxes next to the core) and connect the core directly to the XP box with no switch - modern NICs shouldn't require you to use a cross over for this. This will eliminate your cabling and switch, which can often cause errors, drops, autoneg probs, etc.

Get a new NIC card that is listed in the wiki as good for LMCE and put that in the core - try that instead in case of driver issues...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 04:43:24 pm »

Actually I didn't miss it, just didn't communicate clearly (I should have said "device" instead of "file server"):

Also the OP's addresses are .2, & .3, which are not in the lease pool range so are perfectly fine addresses, provided that LinuxMCE knows about them.

That is the real key: LinuxMCE must know about all systems on the internal lan, preferably by DHCP, but perfectly acceptable to manually add via pluto-admin. 

Sorry for the digression as I doubt that using static IPs is MANDINGO's problem.

HTH,
Roy

Please don't give advice on things you don't understand.  The addresses 192.168.80.2-128 have been reserved for MDs, and as such should NEVER be configured manually, unless you have at least changed some of the settings shown below.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 05:40:13 pm »
I did change the range of my dhcp as not to include the ipaddress that i had assigned to the storage boxes any how almost done with a whole new and clean setup... report back soon

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »
I did change the range of my dhcp as not to include the ipaddress that i had assigned to the storage boxes any how almost done with a whole new and clean setup... report back soon

That kind of makes me wonder what other "trivial" details you're leaving out.
-- Anonymous

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 01:28:23 am »

Please don't give advice on things you don't understand.  The addresses 192.168.80.2-128 have been reserved for MDs, and as such should NEVER be configured manually, unless you have at least changed some of the settings shown below.

I think we just found a bug then.  Take a look at:

So what I'm seeing in the above is everywhere it says "Device" should be changed to "non-MD-Device", or "Almost a Device", or "Not really a device Device".   ;)

Seriously, the bug is that when static devices are added, their IPs are not being added to /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf.  It's an easy enough one to fix.  Here is a sample script that will add static machines in the database to dhcpd.conf:

http://roy.wright.org/linuxmce/dhcpd-update.rb

The real solution would need to be integrated into pluto-admin and handle the delete case.  That's going to take someone who knows a little more php than myself.

Have fun,
Roy

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 03:41:43 pm »

I think we just found a bug then.  Take a look at:

So what I'm seeing in the above is everywhere it says "Device" should be changed to "non-MD-Device", or "Almost a Device", or "Not really a device Device".   ;)

Seriously, the bug is that when static devices are added, their IPs are not being added to /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf.  It's an easy enough one to fix.  Here is a sample script that will add static machines in the database to dhcpd.conf:

http://roy.wright.org/linuxmce/dhcpd-update.rb

The real solution would need to be integrated into pluto-admin and handle the delete case.  That's going to take someone who knows a little more php than myself.

Have fun,
Roy

Seems to me that the "bug" is you not specifying a mac addresss.
-- Anonymous

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 03:52:04 pm »
Ok well after redoing a clean install of Quick DVD 710 rc2 to the core and connecting it directly to one of my storage boxes, the storage box was detected with no problem, The only difference was that i did not manually assign the ip address for the nic on the storage box and set it to auto obtain instead.  Now when i sync with media sync it does find media and still reports the disks as being of line and the check box under devices still is not check for disk online !!!!!!  But the media is still seen and can be played, gonna connect all mds and do a few reboot to see if the media gets dropped...

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 05:34:21 pm »
 >:(  Yep media is dropped and i get the cif error messages when i dmesg on the core, shares are being dropped i have to click disk online  and quick reload to see media at mds.  Clean core NO CHANGES WHERE MADE just connected the internal lan.  Now where do i go from here ?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 12:20:53 am »
Just for completeness - go to the a share in web admin and change it from cifs to smbfs, click Save, the check the online box and save again. Wait at least 10 seconds and then refresh the screen (NO reloads) - is the box still checked?