Author Topic: Can't get LMCE to a working state  (Read 3004 times)

lightsaber

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Can't get LMCE to a working state
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:15:54 pm »
Over the weekend I attempted two separate installations of LMCE and, while both were successful, neither left me with a working system.

My first attempt was to do the CD install with an existing(working) Kubuntu install.  After completing the installation, xorg would not start and my display would flash, then turn off.  It is very similar to the behavior when xorg doesn't start because of a misconfiguration, the only difference being that when it reverts to the text console, it continues to flash instead of just showing the text console.

My second attempt was to do the entire install from DVD.  This also seemed to work with no issues until I tried to boot it and I got a Grub error 22.

When I get home from work tonight I'm going to try to fiddle with my grub settings a bit using a live cd but I am not necessarily confident that this is the issue.  If anyone has encountered these errors and can give me a hint as to what might be the issue I would appreciate it.

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get LMCE to a working state
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:35:55 pm »
Hi!

Do you have more than one Harddisk in your PC? Could it be the system tries to boot from the wrong harddisk?

Igor
Considering Microsoft, i can understand why mankind invented gas chambers and the electric chair.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:20:51 pm »
 :)

Grub error 22, I have seen this it happens because the install DVD thinks it should be installed on the first drive in the system. Therefore during its installation, it crates /boot/grub/menu.lst referencing the drive (hd0,0) when in fact if you installed it on a second drive, it should be set to (hd1,0)

This happened to me using the install dvd on my laptop's second drive. There are some interesting steps required to fix this issue.

You must chroot into your install and run grub setup. The easiest way to do this is:

1. Boot a kubuntu or ubuntu live cd/dvd.
2. Once the system is up and running, get a terminal console and become root
Code: [Select]
sudo -i a. create a mount point for the LMCE disk
mkdir -p /mnt/lmce b. mount the lmce partition to this directory
mount /dev/sdb1 (or hdb1 if using IDE drives) /mnt/lmce3. mount running proc to /mnt/lmce
mount -t proc none /mnt/lmce/proc4. mount running devs to /mnt/lmce
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/lmce/dev5. chroot into the new environment
chroot /mnt/lmce /bin/bash6. update the environment
env-update7. update source profile
source /etc/profile8. run grub setup
grub9. identify root to grub
root (hd1,0)10. update boot loader
setup (hd0)11. quit grub
quit
Now you can unmount all of the above and reboot
umount /mnt/lmce/proc /mnt/lmce/dev
reboot
Now you should see that LMCE boots up for you.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

lightsaber

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 06:16:47 pm »
Thanks guys.  I would assume this is most likely my problem as I did not install to the first hard drive.  Thanks for the detailed steps to resolve.

Not to be too effusive with praise for a solution that I haven't tried yet, but this is exactly the reason open source wins... because people are willing to help each other out and share their knowledge.  For a commercial solution, I would have spent an hour on the phone trying to explain a problem to someone who barely speaks my language. 

Great stuff, thanks again.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:43:55 pm »
 :)
I hope it works out for you. I have had this very same issue. The above steps are how I resolved it. Best of luck.
And, Welcome Aboard!

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

agentsmith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 08:02:18 pm »
Nice work everyone.  Also lightsaber, I have had the video issues that you previously described and my issue was that I needed to install the ATI or Nvidia driver.  If you get the grub error fixed but still experience the video problem.   Try the steps listed in this wiki:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Let us know how your setup goes and yes, open source rocks!  Props to everyone for helping out!
Linux Rox...LinuxMCE rocks in HD!!