Author Topic: Something Interesting you all might Like  (Read 5010 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Something Interesting you all might Like
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:47:55 pm »
So, Its nothing special but the company I work for makes a product called an iPanel. It is basically a monitor with a built in Digitizer and you use an electromagnetic pen kinda like a mouse.
Well, I sometimes fix them and I managed to get some spare parts and rebuilt one and mounted it for maintaining my Hybrid/core.

Here are some pics.

Old iPanel

New iFrame

Here is a link to you tube for a 15 second video of how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dbpVljjMk
Core: Broken :(

ytuxedo002

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Something Interesting you all might Like
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:06:11 pm »
So where can we buy??

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 11:13:20 pm »
The iPanel can be purchased though the company I work for. You may have to go through one of our dealers.
www.interwritelearning.com

The iPanel I used we don't make anymore. It is the 15" model. We have a 17" model now. I just happened to have some scrapped out parts lying around and built the one I mounted. I hated the gray case so I just replaced it with a picture frame I bought at Walmart.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:20:37 pm »
Here is a pic of the whole setup.

another 15 second video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j3brXAbWYo

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:34 am »
Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of using a screen that works off an electromagnet pen instead of a regular touch screen?  Obviously there is some advantage as that's what your company makes.  It's kinda hard to tell in the vid, but is the pen not actually touching the screen?  That would be kinda cool to point to the screen (hover above it), then touch the screen to "click" an option.  If that's how it works, then I think I just answered my "why" question.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:12:41 am »
Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of using a screen that works off an electromagnet pen instead of a regular touch screen?  Obviously there is some advantage as that's what your company makes.  It's kinda hard to tell in the vid, but is the pen not actually touching the screen?  That would be kinda cool to point to the screen (hover above it), then touch the screen to "click" an option.  If that's how it works, then I think I just answered my "why" question.

Off the top of my head, i can see embedding this in a table or some other device that comes into contact with other objects. My laptop has a screen like that so when im writing, i can place my hand on the surface but it only responds to the pen, making it much easier to write. I would imagine that would make it suitable for screens that may experience the occasional brush or something like that

just my 2c
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 05:57:45 am »

Well, there are a few advantages to the electromagnetic digitizer technology. Basically the company I work for used to be called GTCO CalComp. We made digitizers for the construction industry until we started an educational line of products. This basically takes the technology that has been in the industry for years and adapting it to a more consumer approach. The result is that you get very high accuracy tablets and an overall more durable product.
I know my video was rather lame since I took it on my cell phone... I am not actually touching the panel until I pick something from the menu. The electromagnetic technology works like a transducer disrupting an electromagnetic field. It puts out a few different sets of frequencies. When I get close to the surface it detects the pen and allows me to hover. There is a sensor in the tip that is triggered when I make contact with the surface of the panel. There are also 2 side buttons that work as a double click and a right click.
It is different then touch screen because your finger or anything else cannot trigger the screen. You must use the pen in order for the cursor to react.

Something like this would most defiantly work in a coffee table. I have actually had that Idea before but cannot really convince my wife to put a computer coffee table in the middle of our living room.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:07:35 am »

I know my video was rather lame since I took it on my cell phone... I am not actually touching the panel until I pick something from the menu. The electromagnetic technology works like a transducer disrupting an electromagnetic field. It puts out a few different sets of frequencies. When I get close to the surface it detects the pen and allows me to hover. There is a sensor in the tip that is triggered when I make contact with the surface of the panel. There are also 2 side buttons that work as a double click and a right click.
It is different then touch screen because your finger or anything else cannot trigger the screen. You must use the pen in order for the cursor to react.

Something like this would most defiantly work in a coffee table. I have actually had that Idea before but cannot really convince my wife to put a computer coffee table in the middle of our living room.

That's pretty cool.
Off the top of my head, i can see embedding this in a table or some other device that comes into contact with other objects. My laptop has a screen like that so when im writing, i can place my hand on the surface but it only responds to the pen, making it much easier to write. I would imagine that would make it suitable for screens that may experience the occasional brush or something like that

just my 2c
I hadn't thought of that, pretty cool idea.  I'mma gonna have to build a coffee table now.  I just need to be careful and not lose the pens.  I have a hard enough time with remotes.  :)

Darren404

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 08:44:43 am »
Wow, I had plans of embeding an orbiter in a table but this looks cool. even using it with computing parts would be fun.
My house runs Linux

asplodzor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:35:59 am »
Interesting... this looks very similar to Wacom's Cintiq line, but perhaps less artist-centric: http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm

I'm in the process of setting up a Motion Computing LE1600 tablet pc as an orbiter, which up until about ten minutes ago, I thought uses a sensor from Wacom for its pen. Now though, I can't find any indication at all who makes its transducer/rfid/whatever pen system. :-P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:39:41 am by asplodzor »

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:23 pm »
Interesting... this looks very similar to Wacom's Cintiq line, but perhaps less artist-centric:

Wacom is actually my companies biggest competitor in the digitizer world. I have to admit their Look and feel is better but our technology is superior. We have higher resolution, more lines per square inch. Anyway.. It doesn't really matter. For this application you don't need a high accuracy digitizer anyway.  Anyway...

I have noticed that the tablet calibration isn't exact but it is close enough. When the cursor goes back to the lower left of the screen the cursor gets offset. Its easily fixed by hovering down to the lower left until the pen and cursor are lined up again and then it stays right on. It might help to have some kind of calibration utility. I have a software I can load for linux that my company provides to give me 1 to 1 ratio but I don't want to risk it. The software can be a resource hog and if it works without it then I will just rather not put something in that I don't need.