Author Topic: How can I learn to edit the wiki?  (Read 2764 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
How can I learn to edit the wiki?
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:51:54 pm »
Hey all.  I've learned alot and have some things I'd like to post on the wiki.  Trouble is, last time  tried, I got really confused and ended up not doing anything.  Can someone walk me through how to do it, or point me to place that could teach me?  I'd really like to contribute, especially after thom's latest letter to the community.  thanks.

EDIT: I'm particularly interested in writing documentation for newbs.  I think that could help alot of people.  I picture a link on the wiki main page called "Getting started" which would then detail the steps involved with building your own computer (should also link to existing hardware guides) in easy to understand terms, moving on to installation procedures, then setup, and so on.  But before I can do any of this, I need to learn how to edit the wiki.  I'd even be willing to moderate a "beginners team" for documenting.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:41:08 am by Afkpuz »

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How can I learn to edit the wiki?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:44:34 pm »
Hello,

when you;re on the wiki, click "create an account or login" in the upper right hand corner. Then create an account, then login. Once you'e logged in, you should see an additional tab "Edit" at the top of every page, where you can edit the page.
The content of the page is written pretty much like HTML.

To create a new page, load the page you want to create like this:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/My_New_Page_Name
And then again the edit tab will help you populate this page.

I hope this helps.

Jean

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:03:29 pm »
Have a look at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Add_a_page_to_the_wiki it should have most of the info you need to get started.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:40:48 am »
In the editing window toward the bottom, there are links to the linuxMCE wiki and wikipedia on how to format wiki text. Thats what I go to when I need to figure something out.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.