Author Topic: video, audio and pictures from a nas via cifs  (Read 3671 times)

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
video, audio and pictures from a nas via cifs
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:51:19 pm »
Hy,
I have some question to guru,

I have a nas muse with 4 hdd in raid connected in the internal network. However I have plent of documents, professional, personal, electrical stuf... So I have a file server MNAS, and a share called public with all documents !!!!

My lmce core detected it as file server mnas, and share public, and add videos and audio from it (lot s of files), I give user and pass to interact well! I declared to make the content public and not lmce strucure because of other documents stored in nas
Then it sync well video and audio from all the public share!

However I have some trouble:

1/ no pictures at all are detected (I try to sync from admin website) but nothing execpt flickr. What is strange is that if I goes in the media menu with the remote and search for pictures, I can see it in the result list but can't have the pic shown.

2/ the videos and audio menu not show directories, I can have the title list for videos with all videos, but can't browse by directories! is it bbecause I set it up as no lmce directories structure ?

3/ is there a way to llimit the nas share scan to certains directories, I tried manualy in web admin site to declare, instead of 1 public share, 3 like below:
 - videos, with share name attribute: public/videos (wich is the path to movie in the nas) and directories videos
 - audio, public/musiques (in french ;-) , directories audio
 - pictures, public/photos, directories pictures
is the directories parameters working with non lmce structure ??

Thank's for the time to read my post.
CU
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:55:38 pm by domotiqa.com »
http://www.domotiqa.com - home automation

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: video, audio and pictures from a nas via cifs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:56:03 pm »
1. Look in the web-admin under Files & Media > Media Files Sync, and see if your files show up in the "other" directory

2. Sort by Filename instead of Title

3. That is what the lmce directory structure is for.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:44:35 pm »
Strongly suggest you read and understand what is meant by the LMCE structure - you have misunderstood. All three of your "problems" are because you choose public not LMCE structure.

If you choose LMCE structure it will create new folders data -> public -> Audio/Video/etc... then just move all your media into the correct folders and let it find them. Slight change in the path of your files is a small price to pay to immediately fix up your issues.

LMCE will only scan inside that structure - addressing point 3
If you do not use the LMCE structure then LMCE will not attempt to "understand" and manage to your folder structure, thus no sort by Filename. LMCE structure also gives you the Filename option and then you see your folder structure. However, generally, if you have your media properly tagged you shouldn't need the filename option. - addresses point 2
Not really sure what you mean in problem 1, but it sounds like just problem 2 restated a different way....

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:22:48 am »
thanks both for your reply,

Strongly suggest you read and understand what is meant by the LMCE structure
in fact I didn't want to use the lmce strucuture because of all other documents in nas, and because the nas is use as ftp server for other computer... however, I guess no other way, I will create other share in the nas in order to store only video music and pictures !!! However, It is sad when you acess nthe nas through other computer (windows...) to see the lmce structure !

Sort by Filename instead of Title
I did it, however doesn't work because of the non lmce structure, I guess

Look in the web-admin under Files & Media > Media Files Sync, and see if your files show up in the "other" directory
I'll have a look this evening, because I am sad not to see my new born baby pics on my new plasma

thanks & cu

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:34:49 am »
thanks both for your reply,

Strongly suggest you read and understand what is meant by the LMCE structure
in fact I didn't want to use the lmce strucuture because of all other documents in nas, and because the nas is use as ftp server for other computer... however, I guess no other way, I will create other share in the nas in order to store only video music and pictures !!! However, It is sad when you acess nthe nas through other computer (windows...) to see the lmce structure !
Don't understand your point about accessing through Windows, don't see anything about that in either of our posts.... As I say, understand it first, and you won't have to create another share - the other files are not relevent, leave them where they are and let LMCE create the new folder structure on the same share, then move your media into that folder structure. You don't need another share - that is the point of the LMCE structure.
Sort by Filename instead of Title
I did it, however doesn't work because of the non lmce structure, I guess
which is what I was saying in both the first and third paragraph - that is why, change it and it will fix it for you

Look in the web-admin under Files & Media > Media Files Sync, and see if your files show up in the "other" directory
I'll have a look this evening, because I am sad not to see my new born baby pics on my new plasma

thanks & cu

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:49:24 pm »
ok, I understood your explanation.
When I want to watch a movie on my eeepc on windows xp for example, I have to go to the nas, then go in the lmce structure, for example public, then browse for my movie, ohh no luck it's not in public, go back to my personal directory, ohh no luck it still there it was in my wife directory...

Just to show you why I didn't want to use lmce structure to the nas!
Another example is for my car, I have in my folder video, sounds, technical doc , internet links... so I will have to put it in the lmce structure, or not ?

little bit confusing, however, I will have a try tonight!

thks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 04:20:39 am »
you can do what you like - leave it as is and LMCE will ignore anything that isn't a media file. It's a non-issue. Or better yet, tag your media as per design then you won't need the filename sort in the first place.

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:35 am »
hy,

1/filename list
tag your media as per design then you won't need the filename sort in the first place.
thanks, but the filename list is nice for saga like prison break...

2/zaerc: picture problem
1. Look in the web-admin under Files & Media > Media Files Sync, and see if your files show up in the "other" directory
I had a look and can see my windows share in other, it looks like as been declared as "document..."
I can see file in media files sync, but not in the list

However, since I change my adsl modem (change provider), no more video, audio and internet on nas, I will have to look why, what is strange is that the core is dhcp server, and devices that connect to it can have internet.

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:41:32 pm »
ok, so just for info,

I re-discovered the nas, and created share for video, pic and audio, independant, and declare it as lmce structure !! I  filtered by type (directories= videos...)
then everything work great!

Just the pics are a little bit poor ! No way to change the pics fom one to another (have to go back to the list...), no diaporama, and on win orbiter... you can see the pics on orbiter but can't look to it on tv, you have to use the remote.
So I guess we need to add buton like: display on TV...

however everything great