Author Topic: Can I implement TCP(XML) server as GSD-Ruby device ?  (Read 4013 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Can I implement TCP(XML) server as GSD-Ruby device ?
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:56:07 pm »
Hi,

there is some discussion to write xml-server for great web-Ajax based visualization KnxWeb. It requires xml server to gain all live data, and I wonder how hard is it to implement xml server under GSD (are there any limitations? - I'm not Ruby familiar)...

Any other idea or opinion ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
Re: Can I implement TCP(XML) server as GSD-Ruby device ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:48:36 pm »
I remember seeing something in the wiki not long ago where somone wrote a plugin that emits events based on NOAA data it gets from the web...

Here it is... http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/NOAA_Weather

I think studying the code would be a good place to start - its not exactly like what you want to do, but maybe that will give you some direction

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:00:25 pm »
bulek.

Sounds like a good idea.
Have been looking a little in this direction.

Isn´t the Cisco orbiter XML based?

My amateur c++ skills (reading C++ books to catch up what I forgot the last 15 years) tell me that the proxy orbiter code generate or at least transfer xml data over to the cisco phone. When the phone screen need to be updated it looks like it call a cgi script on the phone.
Kind of simple two way communication. But it works.

I believe this can be used as a starting point.

Don´t know much about ajax. Is it possible to implement a client TCP socket server with javascript?
If possible it should be fairly easy to create a basic orbiter with ajax.

/niz23

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:32:48 am »
I've been (mostly) quietly working a setting up a Ruby on Rails server with complete access to the pluto databases.  What this will provide is two fold:
* first is a Representational State Transfer (REST) interface to the system.  This will permit a decoupled Web API to the system.
* second is a more interactive user interface using progressive enhancement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Enhancement)

I'm still wrestling with learning how to do progressive enhancement UIs and RESTful routes together.

My first feature using the RoR server is sync'ing the DVD meta-data from DVD Profiler (I posted the first beta a few weeks ago which was command line only, the second beta, nearing completion, will have some web pages, including a more interactive media editor).

Have fun,
Roy

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »
I've been (mostly) quietly working a setting up a Ruby on Rails server with complete access to the pluto databases.  What this will provide is two fold:
* first is a Representational State Transfer (REST) interface to the system.  This will permit a decoupled Web API to the system.
* second is a more interactive user interface using progressive enhancement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Enhancement)

I'm still wrestling with learning how to do progressive enhancement UIs and RESTful routes together.

My first feature using the RoR server is sync'ing the DVD meta-data from DVD Profiler (I posted the first beta a few weeks ago which was command line only, the second beta, nearing completion, will have some web pages, including a more interactive media editor).

Have fun,
Roy

Great, I think I'll wait on your results...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.