Author Topic: AM2 Motherboard recommendations  (Read 6930 times)

jland67

• View Profile
AM2 Motherboard recommendations
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:25:36 pm »
I am looking for any recommendations for a motherboard that supports AMD AM2 processors. I have read thru all the newbie pack guides and the hardware section. I have also searched the threads here looking for advice.

The problem I have found is that some the boards are not longer available. I am build a hybrid box and want to to experience the least of amount issues during the install.

Any advice on would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Jeremy

jland67

• View Profile
Re: AM2 Motherboard recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 01:23:48 am »
I found a site today that has ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboards in stock for $59. So i bought two of these motherboards. It is the same one used in the video, so i assume it must work with some success.

Thanks,
Jeremy

agentsmith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 10:54:54 pm »
Hey Jeremy, sorry for the late reply, but I found this page on the wiki which reports that the developers have tested this board with success.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_M2NPV-VM
I would be interested in hearing how it works for you so let us know how it goes once you get it up and running.

@gentSmith

Linux Rox...LinuxMCE rocks in HD!!

MEckl8321

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:33 pm »
This Barebone config from TigerDirect seems like a good start for building a Core. Since I'm a real NEWBIE I'd like some opinions or feedback on this;

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3970904&CatId=332 

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:31:33 pm »
Hi.

ASUS M2NVM HDMI seem to work fine.
Had to update bios to latest version 0702 otherwise I recieved these nv_nic_irq messages which as known problems with many nforce based motherboards.
Before bios update video freezed for a second or so and then continued every 10-20min, at the same time the nv_nic_irq message was shown in dmesg.
After bios video is smooth.

This card have the same audio chip that nite_man is showing on his blog, smart-home-blog.com (except is have nvidia instead of ati).
The onboard azalia sound chip is able to output audio through onboard hdmi conector.

The other AC883 audio chipset work out of the box (at least for stereo sound which is how far I have tested it yet).
Will move the system into my livingroom to test it with dts and dolby digital soon. Hopefully I can test audio over hdmi against my panasonic plasma too.

/niz23

jland67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:06:47 pm »
I am starting my build this weekend, so i will let you know how everything goes. The etailer i bought my Asus board from still has some in stock. They are cheaper than buying a used one on ebay.

http://clearancezone.directron.us/item.php?list=717

Good thing about this board is, its the one used in the demo video.

Jeremy

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 04:47:43 pm »
rodercot.
niz23,

you are using a dvi-hdmi correct. I do not see an option for hdmi ouput on that board. I have that board hooked up via cmpt as this lcd does not have an analog audio input for the hdmi inputs.

No. It do have hdmi output.
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1944&l1=3&l2=149&l3=626&l4=0

In bios it is possible to do some settings that affect if internal/external sound sound be used.
According to spec this change how the azalia chip output sound. Through onbaord connectors or hdmi.
It is probably possible to use both. There´s a setting for that too in bios.

/niz23

redbaron73

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 01:43:57 am »
Hi.

ASUS M2NVM HDMI seem to work fine.
Had to update bios to latest version 0702 otherwise I recieved these nv_nic_irq messages which as known problems with many nforce based motherboards.
Before bios update video freezed for a second or so and then continued every 10-20min, at the same time the nv_nic_irq message was shown in dmesg.
After bios video is smooth.

This card have the same audio chip that nite_man is showing on his blog, smart-home-blog.com (except is have nvidia instead of ati).
The onboard azalia sound chip is able to output audio through onboard hdmi conector.

The other AC883 audio chipset work out of the box (at least for stereo sound which is how far I have tested it yet).
Will move the system into my livingroom to test it with dts and dolby digital soon. Hopefully I can test audio over hdmi against my panasonic plasma too.

/niz23

Did you use on the onboard video card with the M2NVM-HDMI? If so, what video drivers did you use? I have this board and I am going to build my MD this weekend.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 09:21:56 am »
redbaron73.

Did you use on the onboard video card with the M2NVM-HDMI? If so, what video drivers did you use? I have this board and I am going to build my MD this weekend.

I use standard nvidia drivers that come with bundled with lmce.
Haven´t tried hdmi yet.

There is one thing that look a little strange in dmesg.
It says unknown 883 audio chip. Will probe from bios.
Sound still work fine so the 883 seem to be compatible with the 882 variant that are known to work.

And the other (problem??), nv_nic_irq keep showing even after bios upgrade.
Thought I got rid of it. It doesn´t show up as often after upgrade
and do not affect video streaming performance anymore.

Put the line below in /etc/modprobe.d/options
options forcedeth max_interrupt_work=20

and will get rid of the messages in dmesg. At least acording to my tests so far.
Don´t know exactly what the option change. Probably interrupt timing.

I have done a lot of research about this error and on most places they say the onboard nforce gigabit is badly designed and have bad driver etc. Maybe that´s the reason asus is starting to use other cards onboard their motherboards. Just a guess.

/niz23

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 10:28:49 am »
So the problems you have can be ignored? (after the code line is added for the NIC) I'm also considering buying that mobo =)

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 04:13:07 pm »
Schmich
So the problems you have can be ignored? (after the code line is added for the NIC) I'm also considering buying that mobo =)

So far I can say they can be ignored.
Have no problems at all at the moment.

Need to do a full test in my living room when i have connected this MD to my plasma, surround reciever etc.
Hope I will have time to accomplish it in the next 2 days.

/niz23