Author Topic: I'm unable to install LinuxMCE  (Read 2748 times)

waynec42

• First post!
    • View Profile
I'm unable to install LinuxMCE
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:40:07 am »
This is the first time I've tried to use LinuxMCE and download and install it. My first attempt to download seemed to work but the file wasn't the same size as listed on the download page. it was about 1Gb instead of 3.9Gb. It was the rc2 dvd iso file. After I burned it I tried an install. The PC saw the disc and tried to start the install but had an error. It wouldn't install. I then downloaded the CD1 and CD2 of the same thing - rc2. (I don't know what rc2 means anyway). They download ok and look to be the correct size. I burned the images to 2 CD's. I tried to boot from them but the PC won't boot from either disc.

Any clues?
I'm about to give up.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm unable to install LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 04:50:21 am »
The DVD install is indeed roughly 3.9GB. If the file size was not that, the download was not successful, and you need to go to another mirror.

As for the 2-CD install method, you need a copy of Kubuntu 7.10 to install it. I recommend trying again to get a copy of the DVD from another source.

In the mean-time, did you read the FAQ and documentation on the wiki? If not, you need to. LinuxMCE has very specific hardware and network setup requirements that must be adhered to.

-Thom

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:05:43 pm »
Hi,

If you are doing the DVD installation read this: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/DVD_Installation

If you are doing the CD install method read this: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

Which ever one you do, after downloading do a MD5SUM on the iso file(s).

Cheers.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:58:22 pm »
wayne - please save yourself the hassle and use the bittorrent downloads, not the file mirrors. BT will ensure that you get a full download with data integrity as it checks small chunks of data at the application layer as it goes in addition to the transport layer... its much more reliable (but do use the md5sum check suggested here anyway to be sure)

Also, burn your DVD at the lowest possible speed. This is a common recommendation overlooked, but particularly important with such large ISOs, particularly because one of the files on the disk is a very large tar file which makes it more vulnerable.

As Thom says, use the DVD unless it definitely doesn't work for your hardware (if you have read the wiki, then this won't be a problem!) - it is much faster and more convenient. The CDs are more for fall back when you need more flexibility or you have hardware that is causing compatibility problems..