Author Topic: Hybrid Loads everything Then reverts to dcerouter login  (Read 3836 times)

NicCOConnor

• View Profile
Hybrid Loads everything Then reverts to dcerouter login
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:16:46 pm »
First I'll start out by saying that I'm new to Linux, but not to computers in general. I’ve been an IT manager for 8 years, Generally I can figure things out on my own. When I see the videos and demonstrations for LMCE I can't help but get really exited about all the thing that can be done with the software.

I'm having a bit of trouble with loading up the software. Everything seems to work ok except for one little issue. After installing When I boot up the machine which is a Hybrid Core/MD the Launch Manger loads and I see all of the services starting, they all start successfully. I then get to the progress window and eventually get into the entertainment interface. UI2 I believe. After about 60 seconds it then reverts the dcerouter login prompt. When I press Ctrl + alt + F7 as I've read on the forums it simply takes me to a blank black screen with a flashing cursor (_) in the upper left hand corner almost like it's waiting for a command. once I get there I must reboot and the process repeats.

So I don’t think it’s a driver issue because all of my devices work based on the AV Wizard. Even my Optical sound DTS audio. I have re-done the AV Wizard about 3 times. So I’m not sure what steps to take from here.
Can anybody help?

Nic

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid Loads everything Then reverts to dcerouter login
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »
Hi Nic!

Can you give some more info about your system? What graphic card are you using?

In contrast to you, i think it's something driver based - i guess your graphic card isn't recognised correctly.

Igor
Considering Microsoft, i can understand why mankind invented gas chambers and the electric chair.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:54:14 pm »
Start by going through the DCERouter log (located at /var/log/pluto/DCERouter.log on the core).

If that yeilds no useful information, then open an ssh terminal and connect to the core (ssh linuxmce@192.168.80.1)
then kill the DCERouter
sudo killall DCERouter
then restart the DCE Router
/usr/pluto/bin/DCERouter

now watch for errors on the terminal. The bad ones will be colored, and this is much much much more verbose than the logs

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:49:07 pm »
To be honest it sounds a bit like X is bombing out for some reason - this could be for any number of reasons (including drivers). In addition to Jon's suggestions, check your /var/log/xorg.0.log file - this is the X log file, it is most useful during X start up to troubleshoot when X won't even start. Not sure if it continues logging after it has started, but if it does it may contain more data. Read all the stuff where it is setting up the display device and chipset, and mode validation. But also at the very end of the log file (usually a lot of repetitive lines down there, but go right to the end to see if there is anything interesting.)

agentsmith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »
I agree this sounds like a driver based X issue to me.  I have had this happen on certain nvidia based graphics cards.  For me what worked was to download the latest and greatest driver from nvidia.com and then reboot.  After this everything worked perfectly.  If nothing else I would say give that a shot and let us know.  Here is a link to the wiki with the instructions for installing the driver in case you don't already know.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Good luck and let us know what you find.

@gentSmith
Linux Rox...LinuxMCE rocks in HD!!

NicCOConnor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:43 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions I will try them as soon as I get a chance, I really must appologize for not updating anyone I was awaiting a notifaction e-mail which never came and kinda forgot to check up on my post.

My Machine is pretty much comprised of an Asus A5WD2-E Premium mostly all components are on the motherboard for a video card I'm running a Sapphire ATI Raedion X1600 as my video card.

Will update on my findings.

Nic