Author Topic: Has anyone tried ASUS M3N78-VM  (Read 20453 times)

kiyote

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried ASUS M3N78-VM
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 12:20:18 am »
rodercot,

I just re-read your post and I realized what you were asking. I doubt that the ethernet was working without the new kernel. I installed the kernel (using the usb flash drive) before I was able to get any sort of outside connection. It may have been that the dhcp was killing the connection, or more likely based on posts from others, the nic just wasn't recognized at all.

tehnoobie

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 12:30:09 am »
cool, nice job guys, sournds like you got this board working minus sound.  Thats pretty awesome news, i might have to go buy this board for myself now.  Can you guys tell me what cases you used and the pros and cons? Im using an asus m2n-mx-se plus and im not really satisfied with the performace.  I think i'd like to try this board instead.

kiyote

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 02:38:45 am »
Thanks rodercot,

I followed the link you gave me and recompiled the kernel, adding in that Intel HD module option. I also added two options underneath that one that started with Intel, I don't remember what they were called, but maybe you could try those too if just the Intel HD option isn't working. That managed to get the analog audio working, which is good enough for me right now. At least this is something that I can work with.

As to what case I'm using: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29983. Everything seemed to fit just fine, and it doesn't seem to have any heating issues. Obviously I haven't done too much work with it yet, but so far I'm pleased with it.

rodercot

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 04:00:38 pm »
Yes the analog works, I have been working for a day or so, trying to get the Spdif to function I had to modify the 1.0.17 Alsa driver alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_codec.c to get it to recognize the iec958 which now gives me switches in the mixer but still no luck. from a command line I can run a test wave file for the left and right front through the spdif header on the board but still cannot get anything out of the on-board spdif connector.

I have tried everything I can think of to get the snd-hda-intel to function, it comes up as NVidia HDA with a Via Analog and then a NVidia Hda with Via digital, I still think the problem is that the digital side of this board is in the NVIDIA chipset and the analog portion is the Realtek ALC880 codec. So really there should be two sound card setups for the NVidia hda VIA Digital and one for the Realtek ALC880 Analog, that is beyond me and my skill level without spending a lot more hours and learning.

It is just as easy to stick another sound card with spdif that works. like the C-media cards, X-plosion 7.1. kiyote that would be a good test to see if you can get the hdmi output (video) to work while audio is being sent to another pci sound card via spdif passthrough.

Dave

rodercot

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 07:22:18 pm »
Well now I am completely confused. I re-installed hardy with the stock kernel using a PCI-E intel card and the on-board nic disabled. An X-plosion 7.1 installed in a pci slot and the on-board sound disabled.

I used the all_generic_ide at boot, it installed fine. up and running let it run update completely this is still hardy. rebooted but forgot to add in the all_generic_ide again. Well IT booted just fine anyhow, So then I shut down removed the intel nic card and re-enabled the on-board nic booted up just fine and the network is working just fine using the forcdeth .060 driver other than defaulting to eth1 instead of eth0 this because I had the intel nic installed in the first instance.

So it looks like this board is running just fine with the stock hardy kernel. Other than sound at this point. I also installed the latest Nvidia driver 173.14.12 remember to do this using ctl-alt-f2 and to stop gdm before installing the driver. You also need to install build-essential or the drivers will not install. All this is on Hardy I have not tried to use this kernel with LMCE at this point.

uname -r = 2.6.24-19-generic (This is the stock kernel following the software update upon first boot)

Dave

mikkok

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 12:20:23 am »
Hi,

I registered only for this thread so I have to get some help :)
I have no plans to install LMCE but I'm having the same struggle with the m3n78-vm on board sounds.
I would have got a pci sound card days ago but my pci slots are already taken by dvb tuners.

So, let's get to the point. I have successfully installed openSuSe 11.0. As a display I'm using my tv via hdmi with the latest nvidia display driver (works fine with 1080p).I get no sound from hdmi and I guess that is too much to ask at this point.

Well, since i didn't figure out how to get sound working, I compiled latest stable from kernel.org (2.6.26.3). Actually I'm running that one right now but same problem with the sound.
I got rid of some acpi related "unable to do something"-messages at the boot though. I get something out of analog output but it's a mess. Sounds like there is lot's of echo or something.

I was wondering could this hdmi connection mess up something or what? Could you tell how did you manage to get the analog audio working? BIOS settings for the AZALIA codecs etc.

rodercot

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 05:52:12 am »
Get a Creative with SPDIF PCI-E sound card or re-compile 2.6.25-5 with all the HDA-snd-intel turned on and then unmute everything in sudo alsamixer.

No the HDMI audio will not work, heck NVIDIA cannot even make the video drivers work properly yet in certain distro's let alone figure out how to pass audio and video via hdmi.

I am waiting for the ATI driver to mature a little more and I am pretty sure I will be switching back.

Dave

mrussell

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 12:08:40 am »
Hello -

I am trying to get LinuxMCE running with a similar board, the M3N78 Pro, and I can't even seem to get the installer to run.  After the Kubuntu splashscreen where I hit f6 to add the all_generic_ide option, I see the kernel loading up, it switches back to text mode for a second or two, and then... blackness.

I've read all about the blank screen issue, but no combination of number keys gets me anywhere.  I thought that generally happened after install and reboot, not during the install... at any rate, this case also doesn't seem to have an internal speaker, so I can't listen for the beeps to tell me what's going on.  There's a lot of disk activity for a few minutes, and then nothing.  Ctrl-alt-del at that point causes some more disk churning and then ejects the CD - so it seems like the installer is running and waiting for input, but I can't for the life of me see the display.  I've tried the onboard HDMI & VGA ports, as well as DVI & VGA ports on an PCI-express GeForce 8400 GS.  Come to think of it, that PCI-E card might be too new as well.

I'm using IDE hard drive & cd-rom; onboard SATA, sound, & lan are disabled.  Any advice is appreciated.

My advice for others thinking about building lmce systems... Buy the components recommended in the Wiki!

rodercot

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 02:44:17 am »
When you hit f6 and type in all_generic_ide remove the splash and quiet commands and tell us where it is hanging up. This will show you the text of the booting procedure.

Did you try it without the all-generic_ide as well. Since you are using an ide cd-rom it may be different.

Dave

mikkok

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:29 am »
rodercot,

Well, I don't want to get another card with poor support so I don't think any PCIe sound card is really an option.
Creative has released beta2 drivers for X-Fi series cards but ALSA is not supporting those yet.

I don't want to compile the kernel again just yet, I'll compile the latest ALSA driver and try different options for hda_intel module.
When it's working, should I be able to see Nvidia + Realtek ALC883 by running aplay -l?
Currently I get something like Nvidia + VIA analog. I have enabled only external codec from BIOS.

rodercot

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 01:05:42 pm »

Well then your options are limited. As I stated before I could never get it to see the realtek at all. I tried the 2.6.26.3 kernel and it would not work for me either hence why I used and recompiled 2.6.25.5 and that worked with HDA Nvidia and VIA analog, the digital side never showed up until I modified the hda_codec_c file and that did not work either.

I do not know what else to tell you other than you will need to take this to the Ubuntu forums.

Dave

mikkok

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 02:21:54 pm »
Alright, just one more question :)
When you say analog side was not working for you with 2.6.26-3,
did you hear any sound at all or, like me, some distorted and echoed sound?
I'm asking cause I don't know if I have had the correct module with right options but something else is still wrong.

rodercot

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 02:25:18 pm »
Nothing at any port.

Dave

mrussell

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 02:52:50 am »
Thanks for the tip, Dave... I was traveling this weekend and just had time to give it a shot.

Things move along fine for a while.  I now see the warning screen come up that asks which drive to use for the install and warns that all data will be removed, but the install just goes on without waiting for input... maybe because there's only one hard drive in the system, and it's brand new (empty).

Some text flies by after that and the last line of output is:

Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)             [OK]

There are several warnings above that about files not found and directories that don't exist.  I'm not going to have much time to wrestle with this in the next few weeks, so I think I might just wait for the next version of Linux MCE and try again.  I know the Hardy livecd will boot on the machine, so I'm hoping that will be less of a struggle.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Jenks

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »
I have the MB working in Fedora 9, and everything is pretty much working pretty well.

I haven't tried doing anything with HDMI-Audio, but I have a pretty highend sound card also installed in this box.

I have been having problems with USB.  I have a USB Remote (lirc_mceusb2) that I am trying to use, and it works for alittle bit, and then it seems to lock up the entire USB bus.  Has anyone seen this?

-Mark