Author Topic: Shutdown after Movie or after X hours  (Read 5944 times)

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Shutdown after Movie or after X hours
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:42 am »
Hi everyone,

i am using LinuxMCE for about 2 weeks now, and i'm very satisfied (even though i havent installed Houseautomation atm).

I only wanted to ask if it would be possible to get a "Shutdown after Movie" or "Shutdown in 30 Minutes" or so button, so i can turn LinuxMCE off when i'm asleep and dont have to get up to turn it off while sleeping ;)

The other thing: where can i find the german texts so i can edit them? It's a bit irritating in german to speak of an armed house... it's safe or not, but not armed.

Would love to contribute to this project.

Guys, you're great!

Oh.. anything new about Symbian Series 60 3rd Edition?
Considering Microsoft, i can understand why mankind invented gas chambers and the electric chair.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Shutdown after Movie or after X hours
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:32 pm »
Well, if you have your A/V gear attached and controlled... (and you should do this, if you haven't.)

then after the movie is done, if nothing is playing for an additional 5 minutes, the display will automatically shut itself off. I also have events added in my setup to automatically turn off the lights IF it is after 11pm, and nothing is playing. (It also sets the house to sleep mode, which also sets the telephones to sleep so nobody can ring and disturb me, except for priority callers.)

-Thom

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:07:54 pm »
Nah, i didn't mean turn off TV or something like that but the MD's - sorry if i described it the wrong way.

What about the languagefiles? Any suggestions?

Thanx Igor
Considering Microsoft, i can understand why mankind invented gas chambers and the electric chair.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:16:05 pm »
We do not do that. Media directors are expected to be running constantly. I recommend adding in AV control, so that you can turn your TV on and off appropriately.

As for modifying language entries, This must currently be done in HADesigner. Look for my HADesigner Screencasts (use the search feature) here on the forums.

Symbian S60v3 currently is not supported with the Symbian Orbiter, and will not be supported unless somebody jumps in and does a new port. The API was changed significantly between v2 and v3, so a simple port is not possible. The source code is in our SVN, for anyone interested to try and port it.

However, JavaMO will run on most S60v3 phones. Look on the forum here for JavaMO.

-Thom

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:37:56 pm »
Thanks Tom. I already feared i'd have to do that via HA Designer.

Any plannings to implement a file for language things? Would be nice since im not really a designer, but i'll check out the Howto.

For the JavaMO, i'll try that too.

And for the MD shutdown things - thats sad. Problem is: i have a "normal" PC running as MD and thats no real solution. Took a look at the firestation - but where to get it in Germany (220V)?!

And the other thing about the MDs: Money -.-

Electricity is getting more and more expensive over here, so it would be great to turn the MDs off at night, and during day, and get them startet via WOL before evening.

Only my 2 cents.

Thanks anyway

Igor

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:10:01 pm »
No, there are not plans to move the language bindings out into separate files. This is an issue that needs to be dealt with at the UI design level, due to the nature of our UI. Not opposed to it however, if someone is willing to do the code.

Sorry about electrical power concerns. We need to do significant re-engineering to allow for suspending/resuming MDs, and we again, need some willing developers to do the work.

-Thom

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:54 pm »
One last time - yeah, i know i'm annoying - question for the shutdown of MDs

I think you misunderstood the point i meant. I'm not talking about suspend and resume, no standby -  but only shuting down and powering up.  (The hard way!)

If i get it right (and im sure i get it right) an MD is only a PC that has no Harddisk.

So, if i go to the console and type "reboot" it reboots. The Core can send the MD also a reboot command. Wouldn't it be possible to send a command "shutdown -h (current time + 30minutes)" to the client? Doesnt look that hard, the only problem is the time when to shutdown, but hey, thats about 2 lines of php code, guess it could be done in one ;) Perhaps by some sort of scenario?

Likewise shutting down after a movie - IIRC bash scripts are executed step by step, so until the first step isnt finished, there's no further step. Wouldnt it be possible to write a script "10 play file; 20 shutdown -h now"? (YEAH, I know its a BASIC/PHP mix, but who cares?!) (Perhaps i am wrong here, but you get the point)

Did i miss something? Am i thinking to simple? i mean, its only an MD, no Media files in there either.

This isnt meant offending, hope you dont see it that way. Just trying to get some new thoughts into the game.

Oh - and perhaps we could get out the speaker shutdown noises - that would be worse than running the PC for sleeping ;)

Thanks again

Igor

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:06:25 pm »
Hi,

I have Hybrid that is running all the time and one MD in living room, that I set to power off when I go to sleep and switch it on when I'm using it...

Regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:59 pm »
I have one MD that I can shut down and power back on through LMCE. I have 2 other MD's where this doesn't work. Either way, you will definitely need WOL working to get starting it back up to work successfully.

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:58:09 pm »
What about the languagefiles? Any suggestions?

Igor, I already did a German retranslation quite some time before. It is filed in mantis (http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3824). Only a few days ago I discovered that there is a message from valentin that I should check on the impact on sqlCVS, so I'm currently checking what I have to do to get that translation commited into the sqlCVS repository.

Anyway, if you have any improvements to the translation, you are very welcome to add them to the mantis ticket.

Cheers
Chriss

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 03:17:12 pm »
Are either of you interested in doing some language files for the web admin? It already has a language system in place

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:44 pm »
Yeah sure, just tell me where they are and i'll try to take care of it!

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »
And for the MD shutdown things - thats sad. Problem is: i have a "normal" PC running as MD and thats no real solution. Took a look at the firestation - but where to get it in Germany (220V)?!

You can purchase them directly from Fiire, but you have to pay taxes, so add 19% percent to the current selling price. Shipping is something around 60 or 90 Dollar. This is what I've done.

There is also one reseller in Germany (or Austria), just google for Fiire or have a look at the partner section on the Fiire website.

eNoodle

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:48:32 pm »
Are either of you interested in doing some language files for the web admin? It already has a language system in place

Well, in fact I started to translate parts of it some time ago. I'll try to finish the files and create a patch for the web admin.

Chriss

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 01:43:42 pm »
Just committed the translation to sqlCVS. I guess somebody has to approve the batches before you can sync them to your system.

Chriss