Author Topic: No controls during playback  (Read 2664 times)

xak

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
No controls during playback
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:48:27 pm »
I've been searching for 3 days and can't find an answer to this one.  Please feel free to flame and provide a link if I've missed it =)

I have 710RC2 installed and running with UI2, and whenever I playback a video file (.avi, or DVD-disc) I cannot access ANY on-screen display or control playback to pause, show library, rewind, etc..  I am just using a keyboard and mouse, and nothing works during playback.  Left, right, middle click does nothing.  Pressing nearly every key on the keyboard does nothing.  I can hit Alt+Tab and switch between the 3 windows running, but changing focus to any of them does nothing except show the playing video.  I can hit CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart the X server, which is oh-so-useful!  Once the video finishes, it goes back to my library and everything works normally after that.

Here's my hardware:
Mainboard: Intel DG33TLM (using onboard sound and network)
CPU: Intel Q6600
GPU: nVidia 7600GT

Thanks very much for any help!
LinuxMCE 710RC2
Intel DG33TLM w/ Q6600
nVidia 7600GT
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500
Lian-Li PC-V300
Samsung LN40A550 40" LCD
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk RM6750 5.1

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: No controls during playback
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:15:58 pm »
since you only have a mouse, F1 should bring up your main menu.

I would suggest getting one of the following control devices:

* A Windows MCE Remote and a USB UIRT (http://www.usbuirt.com/) (discard the emitter that comes with it)
* A Gyration Go Mouse 2.4 (comes with a great keyboard too)
* A Fiire Chief (http://www.fiire.com)

If you have set up your network according to our instructions and made it the center of the house, other options are also available to you:

* Have a laptop? Load the Orbiter software onto it from the web-admin.
* Have a dis-used PDA? Load Orbiter onto it.
* A Cisco 7970 IP Phone can be used as an Orbiter
* and the Nokia N800/N810 series make excellent orbiters.

no matter how you slice it, you should get a USB UIRT even if you don't get an IR remote, because then you can control your TV, Reciever, Cable Box etc.

-Thom

xak

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 06:08:08 pm »
Thanks a lot, F1 worked to bring up the menu.

However, I still can't rewind or fast forward like I have seen in the video.  Is there a config that must be done to enable a standard 3-button mouse to operate these functions?  I was under the impression a gyro mouse interfaced to the PC as just a mouse, therefore a regular mouse should perform these functions too.

I appreciate the advice on the IR transmitter, looks like I will be picking up one of those too.  At this point I am in the very early stages of getting everything set up, and still have some hardware to buy and lots of reading to do.

Cheers and many thanks!
LinuxMCE 710RC2
Intel DG33TLM w/ Q6600
nVidia 7600GT
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500
Lian-Li PC-V300
Samsung LN40A550 40" LCD
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk RM6750 5.1

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:11:16 pm »
Look to F6, F7, and F8 to get the extra three buttons mapped to the Gyration Mouse/Fiire Remotes, for the Media, Menu, and Ambience buttons.

-Thom