Author Topic: Playback of MKV/H264/X264 HD video files: a solution using CoreAVC  (Read 29972 times)

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Playback of MKV/H264/X264 HD video files: a solution using CoreAVC
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 11:02:37 pm »
Hi Jean,

I am not near my linuxmce at the moment, but i will try some more and then tell if i did find out what is wrong :)
720p movies play OK on my e5050 cpu, but 1080p is not so nice ;) and the slowdown of mplayer/not being able to rewind is not acceptable either :)

Will take a week or so before i can test as i am moving into my new house and still not finished building/painting.

Greetings
Viking

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 02:05:50 am »
Viking,

no problem. I can confirm than 720p plays fine even with Xine Player without CoreAVC mostly. I only needed CoreAVC for the first time when I got my hands on a 1080p file. And I almost always have to pause during a movie to get more snacks or drinks, so not being able to pause was a huge problem for me :-)

Jean

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 01:28:54 am »
Hi,

now I have got a little time for looking into it again :)

I found out that the needed dshowserver parts where never compiled ! So that is the reason for not working ;)

So now I did two things and now dshowserver is mentioned in "trunk/ubuntu/xine-lib-1.1.10.1/src/libxinevdec/Makefile" - before it was not which is bad news ;)

1. I added a newline to "trunk/ubuntu/xine-lib-1.1.10.1/src/libxinevdec/Makefile.am" at the end.
2. I did a "make clean" in "trunk/ubuntu/xine-lib-1.1.10.1" before i did "./configure"

I think it is the second thing (make clean) that is needed and have changed the wiki, but I can't try again this time ;) So maybe someone else can ?

Greetings
Viking
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:59:38 am by Viking »

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 02:11:28 am »
Hi again,

Replaying H264 is a lot better with the new libxine :)

There is unfortunately another drawback, which is a showstopper for me, VDR does not work with the new libxine  :'(

Any ideas why that is so ?

Greetings
Viking

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 08:19:52 am »
Hi again,

Replaying H264 is a lot better with the new libxine :)

There is unfortunately another drawback, which is a showstopper for me, VDR does not work with the new libxine  :'(

Any ideas why that is so ?

Greetings
Viking

VDR is used vdr-plugin-xineliboutput. Probably you should rebuild it with the new xine headers.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2009, 12:54:53 pm »
Hi Nite_man,

thanks I have looked at it,  but  can't find the sources for the newer version 0710-10 that niz32 has posted. Also looking for the VDR sources, do you know where they can be found ?

A "stock VDR" can not be used, I already tried that. A lot of things don't work - one can't control vdr.

Thank :)
Viking

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:02 pm »
Hi Nite_man,

thanks I have looked at it,  but  can't find the sources for the newer version 0710-10 that niz32 has posted. Also looking for the VDR sources, do you know where they can be found ?

A "stock VDR" can not be used, I already tried that. A lot of things don't work - one can't control vdr.

Thank :)
Viking

The sources are in the public svn

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »
Viking,

I build the way described in my wiki at least 5 times, and the make clean is not needed by default (unless you build it once before without the patch to libxine). In any case it can't hurt to add the make clean in the wiki.

When you say that h264 is playing much better, are you still playing them in xine without Coreavc, or is Coreavc now kicking in? You can check it by looking at top while playing a movie. If it's using coreavc, it will be the dshowserver process taking the most cpu, if it's not using coreavc, it will show xine_player using the most cpu.

Jean

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »
Hi Jean,

it means that it now uses dhsowserver (and CoreAV) to play :) I see dshowserver in top while playing and i think it seems like it also can use both cores as it gets more that 100% cpu at certain places.

Maybe it normally should detect the changes and then recompile, but it did not on my system. There was no changes in the Makefile* other than those that came from the patch ... So the ./configure did not change anything on my system until after I did the "make clean" (and added the line feed in the file). After that there was changes in the Makefile* files and then it also worked ..

Maybe one of the others that did not get it working can confirm that it helps :)

Greetings
Viking

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 03:22:59 am »
Viking,

glad to hear that it's working as intended. If you press "1" in top it will show you each core in the upper left corner and you;re completely correct that dshowserver is able to take advantage of all cores and share the load.

It would be nice if your "make clean" would help others, as it's a shame that very few are able to get this to work, when it's a good solution.

Jean

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 12:15:23 am »
Hi again,

I did no have much time looking into this ,  but I found out that I must have done something before "make clean" as it the next time did not help.

You have to run autogen.sh to get the patch activated and compiled in.
You can see that by grepping the Makefile - before there is no mention of the new modules - only in the Makefile.in and that is not enough as Makefile is used for compiling.

Maybe someone has time to test it ...

Greetings
Viking