Author Topic: Can't Install Kubuntu on Fresh Build  (Read 3762 times)

jvaughn

• View Profile
Can't Install Kubuntu on Fresh Build
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:23:13 am »
Please see topic on kubuntu forum by following the link below:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3095985.0

Any and all help is greatly appreaciated, as I really want to use LinuxMCE on my freshly built media center.  Thanks!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Install Kubuntu on Fresh Build
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:31:16 am »
I don't understand what you are asking. LMCE does not use Kubuntu 0804, and your problem on the other forum is about hardware, not LMCE. You need to resolve your hardware issue over there first, and then move to Kubuntu 0710 before you can even start thinking about LMCE...

jvaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:34:21 pm »
So, LinuxMCE will not work with the most current version of Kubuntu?  Also, it is not a hardware problem; no version of Kubuntu will install as it cannot find my IDE drive.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:26:32 pm »
Hi,

Did you check your variant of Kubuntu by running a md5sum check?

Can you run Kubuntu from your CD/DVD drive?

LMCE is presently tied to Kubuntu version 7.10.

jvaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:39:51 pm »
I have not verified the checksum, however, I ordered CD's from ShipIt now (I think that's the name) - 3 CD's right from the Kubuntu website, and one from Amazon.  Both CD's will run Kubuntu from the CD drive (even the 64 bit 8.04 runs from the CD drive).  When I click on the Install icon, it gets to the partition screen, but it doesn't show any partitions.  I can't create a new one or edit an existing one.  It seems like Kubuntu just can't see my HDD.  I know 2 of the CD's work because I used them to install Kubuntu 7.10 before I upgraded the mobo and CPU.  The other CD is Kubuntu 8.04 64 bit, as I am now using an AMD processor.

So, are there any plans to have LinuxMCE run with 8.04?  Just curious.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »
jvaughn: I'm one of the developers.

A wide variety of issues delayed the release of LinuxMCE for Kubuntu 7.10, well past the release of 8.04. So we've decided to target 8.10 for our next major release.

I would honestly recommend, if you are interested in installing this system, to (1) use the quick install DVD, and (2) closely follow the hardware and network design requirements for using this system. It is much more than a media center, it is a smart home platform, the first of its kind, and as such, has very specific and rigid requirements.

-Thom

jvaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »
I would love to use the quick install DVD, but my media center does not have a DVD player/burner yet (kinda weird huh).  I believe everything in my media center is on the list, but I've not checked the mobo or CPU and I think that might be my problem.   I'll have to check it and upgrade again if need be.  Thanks.