Author Topic: Discless MD  (Read 20680 times)

remiv

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discless MD
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 02:44:05 pm »
Do you see any diskless MDs in the web-admin under "Wizard | Media Directors", you can also try setting one up manually there.  It's been a while for me, but I think you only need to specify the MAC address.

The only MD that is in the "Wizard > Media Directors" are the Core..
Yeah, well.. I can try setting it up manually.. I`ll give it a shot! :D

Damn. How do I find my MAC adress ?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:47:19 pm by remiv »

remiv

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 03:22:17 pm »
WOW. I just hooked my work laptop to the Core to test it. AND my Acer (with Intel Core) work laptop worked.
It boots up with PXE and now I`m in the Welcome Wizard.. DAMN!

Sooo.. There must be something really wrong with the Asus motherboard.. You guys think so too ?
I`m thinking about going back to where I purchased it.. And tell them that the internal NIC dosen`t work.. Should I do that ?

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 03:23:41 pm »
Do you see any diskless MDs in the web-admin under "Wizard | Media Directors", you can also try setting one up manually there.  It's been a while for me, but I think you only need to specify the MAC address.

The only MD that is in the "Wizard > Media Directors" are the Core..
Yeah, well.. I can try setting it up manually.. I`ll give it a shot! :D

Damn. How do I find my MAC adress ?

One way is to boot your machine with a livecd, like kubuntu 7.10, 8.4 or any other live cd distribution.
From console do: ifconfig

It is possible that there is a sticker on your network card that tell you which mac addr it has.

If you have your macine connected to lmce internal network, then from your cores console do:
arp -a
You get a list with IPs and their mac addr.

Hope it will help you to find out.

/niz23

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 03:55:17 pm »
The mac address was also in that screenshot you posted, only you blacked it out apparently.

Booting that machine from a live-cd like niz23 suggested is also a good idea, if you do please show us the output of "dmesg|grep eth0", "lspci|grep Ethernet" and "lsmod".
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

remiv

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 04:03:47 pm »
The mac address was also in that screenshot you posted, only you blacked it out apparently.

Booting that machine from a live-cd like niz23 suggested is also a good idea, if you do please show us the output of "dmesg|grep eth0", "lspci|grep Ethernet" and "lsmod".

Hehe. Yeah. I figured that out. (The MAC address). *embarrassed*

Okey Zaerc. Where do you want me to run those commands. On the Core, or the MD I`m trying to setup?

When I try to boot up Kubuntu LIVE cd it says he cannot find any Ethernet device. And he is asking if I want to use an Fireware ethernet device.
I ofcourse says "No". And it hangs up with the last line: "*Checking battery state..."  ???

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:02 pm »
Oh that sucks, looks like we found your actual problem though.  If you can get Kubuntu to work we should be able to solve the lmce as well.  And those commands were to be executed on the MD when it's running the livecd.
-- Anonymous

remiv

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 10:18:43 pm »
Damn! Well.. I can install a SATA hdd in the MD pc and install Kubuntu on it if that will help us finding the PXE problem.. ?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:30 pm »
Damn! Well.. I can install a SATA hdd in the MD pc and install Kubuntu on it if that will help us finding the PXE problem.. ?
Worth a shot, would be nice to figure out why the network isn't working on that board.  Maybe the alternate install CD works if the live (desktop) cd doesn't.
-- Anonymous

remiv

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 05:55:40 pm »
Worth a shot, would be nice to figure out why the network isn't working on that board.  Maybe the alternate install CD works if the live (desktop) cd doesn't.
Alright Zaerc! :D I have now installed the MCE DVD on the pc with the problems, and I also runned the commands you gave me.
Take a look at them: http://pastebin.com/m1796af75
Thanks!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 05:57:05 pm »
From the looks of the network appears to be working now, and the system is using the r8169 kernel module for the NIC.  But I don't understand why it fails to boot a kubuntu-7.10 live CD.
-- Anonymous

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 11:09:35 am »
Hmm,

Hi all i am having a similar problem with one of the diskless md's. The mobo i am using is a GB GA-M52S-S3P and it uses the RTL8110D nic chipset and according to the wiki it is supposed to work out of the box since 7.04. I get to the 'Announced to the router' msg screen and then it fails. The md is the same architecture as the core ie amd64 but it just seems to fail. This has been bugging me for several days and i am hoping someone is using a similar board and has been able to get the md to work.

- I assume i am correct in continuing this thread ?
TIA

Justin

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 03:23:50 pm »
Justin,

Just before the we announce ourselves message does your system report that you are using architecture amd64?

If so try changing it to i386.

On the core system open admin website and select Devices/Media Director.

Under the Device column you'll see the architecture field set to amd64.

Edit this to i386 and on the bottom of the page click the update button.

Restart the diskless MD.

Hope this helps.

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 08:34:36 am »
Yes my system shows that it is using the amd64 architecture. I changed it as suggested and it has now gone on the net to look for updates - which is excellent. It then finally booted but there were alot of errors about incorrect password for sql server.  However it will not load the orbitor screen. I changed the details in the connections tab to point to the core ip 192.168.80.1 and the SQL server to the same. I have left the un as root and the pw is still blank. When i hit test - it tells me that the connection to the specified server has failed. Is there something missing.

Have i missed something?
Any help would be great.

Regards

Justin

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 01:58:01 am »
I decided to kill the diskless image on the core and rebooted the md. After some time it went through the normal steps, but again failed at the SQL server login. I get several msgs still - basically sqlserver cannot log in. I have copied several lines from the launch managerprogress.log which outlines what has occured. I can't see why this has failed as i am using the same credentials on the core and it tests ok and there are no issues. Is there something in the md template on the core that i need to alter to get around this issue?

01      08/03/08 9:26:39.179            Connect failed Access denied for user 'r                                                                                                                       oot'@'192.168.80.2' (using password: NO) <0x2aafbece2310>
01      08/03/08 9:26:39.180            Query failed (MySQL server has gone away                                                                                                                       ): select FK_Device,IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData JOIN Device ON FK_Devic                                                                                                                       e = PK_Device where FK_Device_ControlledVia IS NULL AND FK_DeviceData = 233 (1)                                                                                                                        <0x2aafbece2310>
05      08/03/08 9:26:39.180            Resetting db_wrapper connection <0x2aafb                                                                                                                       ece2310>
01      08/03/08 9:26:39.182            Connect failed Access denied for user 'r                                                                                                                       oot'@'192.168.80.2' (using password: NO) <0x2aafbece2310>
05      08/03/08 9:26:39.182            UpdatesManager::Init : SQL FAILED : sele                                                                                                                       ct FK_Device,IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData JOIN Device ON FK_Device = PK_                                                                                                                       Device where FK_Device_ControlledVia IS NULL AND FK_DeviceData = 233 <0x2aafbece                                                                                                                       2310>
01      08/03/08 9:26:39.182            Updates manager failure. <0x2aafbece2310

Is there anywhere else i need to look for more detail on this error?

TIA
Justin

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 01:29:46 am »
Hi All,

As this was giving me the u know whats i decided to blow the core away again. I did this and finally worked out why i could not get it to work from dvd. As i use wireless keyboard and mouse my keystrokes were not getting recorded after the initial screen. I used a ps2 k/b and mouse and all worked perfectly. After 40 minutes it came up and i followed the wizzard - sweet.

In relation to my problems that i was hjaving with the orbitor not loading and the sql password issues. They dissappeared - it even worked using the standard amd64 build. I didn't have to trick it by changing it to i386. Thanks to everyone for their assitance.

Justin