Author Topic: Abit AN-M2HD install using DVD or CD has problems  (Read 4138 times)

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Abit AN-M2HD install using DVD or CD has problems
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:43:08 pm »
 ??? Just tried to install LinuxMCE 7.10 64 bit AMD DVD on a Abit AN-M2HD with one on board gigabit Lan port and a Gigabit Lan card.  The DVD install goes smoothy till one gets to the Add Software where nothing is listed.  Both the AV wizard and "When you can you see and here me" go well.  At the MCE creeen flicker is not running indicating that the network is not working.

When installing from CD all works properly including the AV wizard but there is no sound at "When you can see and hear me".  Movies and music have no sound in linux MCE.  Flicker works and both gigabit networks cards work properly.

Suggestions for getting the audio to work.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Abit AN-M2HD install using DVD or CD has problems
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:52:09 pm »
Check the mixer settings with "alsamixer", chances are something is muted that shouldn't be.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:53 pm »
??? Just tried to install LinuxMCE 7.10 64 bit AMD DVD on a Abit AN-M2HD with one on board gigabit Lan port and a Gigabit Lan card.  The DVD install goes smoothy till one gets to the Add Software where nothing is listed.  Both the AV wizard and "When you can you see and here me" go well.  At the MCE creeen flicker is not running indicating that the network is not working.

When installing from CD all works properly including the AV wizard but there is no sound at "When you can see and hear me".  Movies and music have no sound in linux MCE.  Flicker works and both gigabit networks cards work properly.

Suggestions for getting the audio to work.

For the DVD install - check your NICs are the right way around. ie eth0 is your external. I have the same board and this was an issue initially. Used udev rules to correct it at first, but then it stopped doing it a long time ago.... dunno why

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:03:05 pm »
I had the same problems with the same mobo. Having already successfully installed LMCE on a different box with an MSI mobo, I sent the Abit one back to eBuyer and got another MSI board with a cheap and cheerful graphics card (came to about the same price). It worked.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:31:49 pm »
hmm i have two of these and itsik has like 5 the only problem i had was to unmute alsamixer IEC58
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

agentsmith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:36:36 pm »
I agree with colin.  It sounds like the NICs are reversed.  I work with different Linux systems at work and this is a common issue we see.
Linux Rox...LinuxMCE rocks in HD!!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:39:06 am »
Do a search on udev in the forums - I posted something ages ago that gives you the exact udev file needed to correct the order. Seems a bit of a mystery as to the order the system uses, and why it might change. But as I say, when I first started, every build I did had this problem so I inserted the udev file. Then it seemed just to stop happened and hasn't happened since - so I no longer bother. But the udev file fixed it immediately, every time...

Col