Author Topic: How Many AMD64 Cores Out There?  (Read 3414 times)

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
How Many AMD64 Cores Out There?
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:57 pm »
 :)
I was just wondering how many people are using AMD64 cores, with 710 RC2, and if you were experiencing any issues. I am debating installing a AMD64 core, .vs an i386 one on my AMD64 server.

In the past there were issues, concerning the betas. But now I am planning a redesign, and was wondering how stable the AMD64 image was currently.

Thanks and Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How Many AMD64 Cores Out There?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 07:25:46 pm »
I was just wondering how many people are using AMD64 cores, with 710 RC2, and if you were experiencing any issues. I am debating installing a AMD64 core, .vs an i386 one on my AMD64 server.

Hi Seth.

I have an AMD64 core. I have only one issue but I don't know if it's because of that.

I have 3 MD's that cannot properly load and watch TV through MythTV from the UI. If I load up the KDE desktop and then launch mythfrontend, LiveTV runs just fine. 2 of these are i386 and 1 is AMD64. 1 other MD (AMD64), which also contains a tuner card, works fine.

In addition to the above, I have another MD that uses a VIA MotherBoard and I have it running MythBuntu 7.10 instead of LMCE so the video works.

Follow the link in my signature for full details.

(added in edit)

Btw: My AMD64 core has been up for almost 15 days with no hiccups.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:39:26 pm by freymann »

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:33:52 pm »
I now run i386 on my AMD64 powered core. Even with RC2, running AMD64 on my M2nPV-VM was fairly unstable (had to reboot every few days). There was a post not to long ago where we discussed this, and pretty much everyone agreed that the i386 was more stable. Of course, most of this depends on hardware..

I would still recommend sticking to i386 for now - its not like you will be losing much, and in my experience, changing my setup to i386 improved my stability a lot (I go weeks at a time between reboots..  And I only reboot out of habit.. I've never "had" to actually reboot because of a lockup after switching to i386)

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »
seth.

In the past there were issues, concerning the betas. But now I am planning a redesign, and was wondering how stable the AMD64 image was currently.

Thanks and Regards,

Seth

My core/hybrid witha mb from asus (m2n-vm dh) is very stable.
Have 2 MDs but no livetv since I´m waiting for vdr to be available.
Everything seem to be fine. Haven´t done a reboot for at least 4 weeks.

All MDs run on i386 image, even if they can use AMD64.

/niz23

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:34:11 pm »
So I guess the path for now would be to remain on i386, and pretty well across the board. i have 3 AM64 MD's, and they defaulted to the AMD64 image, I wonder if I should change it back to i386. Although I have not seen any issues with those boxes, but on a fresh install, of RC2, perhaps I will.
 Hmm.....

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:31:42 am »
Hi,

My LMCE Core is AMD64, 1 MD AMD64, 1 MD AMD32.  I run 32-bit on all.

Have 2 Fedora boxes (F9 & F8) AMD64 X2, AMD64 respectively both running 32 bit plus 1 Ubuntu box AMD64.

I tried Fedora, Ubuntu and LMCE as 64 bit but had issues on all 3 versions.

Right now, for me anyway, 32 bit seems the way to go - everything is happy.

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:49:03 pm »
Well then I guess I will use the 32 bit version. It is pretty stable on the 4/15 build I am running currently. I will buy the 32 bit version from the linuxmce home page, and continue on. I will be getting my new core system components within the next couple of weeks. And I will apply eNoodle's fix for the USB-UIRT, as why I was considering the AMD64 version is because USB-UIRT blasts w/out dongles, as well as with, this will allow me to control 5 devices with a single dual-headed xantech blaster.

Thanks for the input.

Please keep posting with your experiences  ;)

Regards,

Seth