Author Topic: Please post how you solved your hard-lock up problem to help with mine!  (Read 3324 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
I've been experiencing hard lockups on my system for no apparent reason.  Usually, these happen when nothing stressful is happening, like when it sits over night doing nothing, or when I'm watching a video and have no other processes running. I've asked around on the forum for help, but with no luck.

So please, if you have ever had hard lock-up problems with linuxmce and fixed them, post them here so that I can have some kind of place to look.  Thanks

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Try disabling the flickr script and the photo screensaver. I Have experienced this and usually when I turn on the TV to find out why I have no internet, the image on the screen is smeared or blurred. I have run the core a solid 4 days w/out a lockup, by disabling the screensaver. It tends to race the opengl bits I think.

Just my experience.

Regards,

Seth

p.s. to do this go to the webadmin, across the top hit "Files & Media" then go down and click "Screensaver" after that window opens, click the "Disable flickr script" button and then click the "remove" button then click the "Reload Screensaver" button.

".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
With my first 'hybrid core' (that locked up constantly) I'm still not positive what caused me the grief, but I can say that after pulling the nVidia 8400 and replacing it with a nVidia 7300, and running it now as a test Media Director, it works better -- but still not perfect.

That box is being sold (I bought a new AMD64 for the hybrid/core), but I did spend another $100 on the 7300 video card just to satisfy my own curiousity. The video card was definitely one factor.

I've run in under UI2 with and without transparency as a MD. For the most part it seems to work, but when watching TV or a Movie for 90 minutes or more it will slowly start to freeze until it becomes unresponsive and I have to power cycle. There are plenty of fans inside (in fact, it's too damn noisy) and as a straight ubuntu machine it works flawlessly.

There's nothing else in the box at the moment (no tuner card, no extra nic) so I can only assume there's something goofy with the bios and/or motherboard.

In answer to your thread, I solved it by purchasing a completely new box. See the link in my tagline for specs. The sad part is, not everybody can afford to do toss more money after bad into their setups.

unk95

• View Profile
I also have a MD that locks up from time to time. I run the 0710 RC2 DVD install.
The core/hybrid seems to be running fine and does not have any lock up problems, it is just the MD.
The motherboard is an ASUS  M2NPV-VM AMD dual core proccessor,  1GB G"skill dd2 800 ram and a DVD drive. I have changed the power supply, the cpu and change the system from 64 bit to the 32 bit version, have changed the gigabit network connection to 100mb but still have problems with the occasional lock up. I ordered a new motherboard  ABIT AN-M2HD (LE) GF7050 AM2 RT will come in tommorrow, so will have to see if that fixes the problem. I will also try to disable the screensaver too, to see if that does the trick.
Have a good one.
unk95

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
My machine constantly locks up..  and I do mean hard locks...  all you can do is power off and back on...  I've changed every piece of hardware and it still locks up...  but it never locks up running just ubuntu and other software...