Author Topic: Planned configuration suggestions/help requested  (Read 4819 times)

norjms

• View Profile
Planned configuration suggestions/help requested
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:31:16 am »
I currently have the current hardware but, have some questions about how it is best to continue my progress.
File server /web server/webmail/ftp…ECT
Asus SK8N – 2 GHz Opteron
2 GB ram
1 120 GB system drive connected to the on board controller
4 x1 TB HD’s in raid 5
10/100 integrated LAN controller
Required components
1 GbE Nic
1 Linux compatible raid 5 controller with 4 ports
Planned Distro: Ubuntu Server
Questions:
1. Is it worth having a dedicated raid card or should I use software raid 5? If I use software raid I need a suggestion for a budget 4 sata port controller card. As the mother board only supplies 2 ports

Myth Master Backend/ Frontend Hybrid
Motherboard – Asus P5LD2 standard 3.47 GHz Celeron D 360
7800gtx dvi to hdmi
2 GB ram
120 GB sata hard drive
On board 10/100/1000 nic
Hauppauge PVR 500 – analog cable
HDhomerun – HD ota
Microsoft MCE remote and irblaster
Chaintech AVS-710 sound card for digital out
Planned Distro: Linuxmce
Questions:
1. Will this setup be powerful enough to support 2-3 additional clients/record 2 HD signals at the same time?
2. I would like to replace the remote for something better suited. It seems very clunky…not always responding. Etc
3. How would I go about relocating mythweb from this box to my primary web server as I only have one external ip address available and would rather not use alternate ports and routing.
4. A good wireless keyboard and mouse. I would prefer RF or supported Bluetooth.
5. The best way to stream to a xbox 360
6. I would also like to go to a low power cool running pci-e video card that supports HDCP. Suggestions for a good budget card will help.

Anything anyone could suggest would be greatly appreciated. Any shortfalls anyone sees or problems with my configuration. I am on a budget as I am trying to use the hardware I already have. Also I am kind of a newb to Linux so, avoiding complex configuration would be helpful.
All the frontends I am connecting are imacs and Intel mac minis

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Planned configuration suggestions/help requested
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:25:19 pm »
1. you need two NICs. this system will become the center of your house, replacing firewall, gateway, and dhcp to provide the services you're requesting.

2. your front-ends need to have nvidia based GPUs. ATI is somewhat broken at the moment. I recommend the MSI Media Live for an MD. works great out of the box. For video cards, an NVIDIA 6200 or better is strongly recommended.

3. don't do the dedicated raid 5, just connect all the disks individually, and configure the RAID through the web admin panel.

-Thom

norjms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:22:58 pm »
Will the system automatically use both nics as one is saturated or is there something I have to do to spread bandwidth over them?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:50:39 pm »
The system will automatically use both NIcs, but not as you seem to think ;)
Think of one NIC as the WAN port on your router and the other as a LAN port.
The WAN NIC can/should be connectod to your modem/router.
The LAN to the house network, LMCE will now be your firewall, DHCP server and Gateway.
LMCE will only see files/media on the LAN and use the WAN to connect to the internet.

Hope that made sense

norjms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:12:53 pm »
Yes it makes sense but, ...this would go into my file server correct? and if it does then if anyone could field the question for a nice GbE nic card that is native Linux compatible. Since I have to buy one I might as well get one that is ubuntu plug and play. As you notice I already have a dedicated file server providing those functions. Does Linuxmce have to take over those functions? Will I have to use the Linuxmce as my web server as well? if I don't how do I relocate the mythweb to my normal file server....? If I ended up moving all the file server functions to the linuxmce box will it still be powerful enough to manage? More ram? faster proccessor and such. I know that mythweb has to install some sort of web server for it to work but, is it a full featured one  ie java...php....sql...cgi...openssl or do I need to install more packages. It would be kind of nice to do away with the old server and I could use it as a MD in my workshop. I really appreciate all the suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:24:35 pm by norjms »

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:22:33 pm »
I have yet to encounter a wired network card that is not compatible with Ubuntu.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:50:16 pm »
Yes it makes sense but, ...this would go into my file server correct? and if it does then if anyone could field the question for a nice GbE nic card that is native Linux compatible. Since I have to buy one I might as well get one that is ubuntu plug and play. As you notice I already have a dedicated file server providing those functions. Does Linuxmce have to take over those functions? Will I have to use the Linuxmce as my web server as well? if I don't how do I relocate the mythweb to my normal file server....? If I ended up moving all the file server functions to the linuxmce box will it still be powerful enough to manage? More ram? faster proccessor and such. I know that mythweb has to install some sort of web server for it to work but, is it a full featured one  ie java...php....sql...cgi...openssl or do I need to install more packages. It would be kind of nice to do away with the old server and I could use it as a MD in my workshop. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

No, it goes into your core. The core becomes everything, the center of the house, and replaces your existing file server. We install a full apache web server, which you can add any web pages etc that you need. The configuration files are in the usual places.

As far as installing new services, you can. Use apt, but with caution. If you see it replace packages already in the system, be wary.

The existing system configuration should be able to handle this. But I do not recommend a hybrid for your core in a full house setup. The core server sits in the closet, and just runs. Any TV facing media director will boot off the core.

-Thom