Author Topic: Nice looking automated home  (Read 5652 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Nice looking automated home
« on: January 12, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm attaching link in case anyone will be interested in nice example web page for automated home.

http://www.bwired.nl/

It pretty much resembles my idea for Pluto to write blog on house' all events that happened during the day and where user could also add it's own entries to get nice family & house diary...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 01:51:26 pm »
this is a nice way to check your house status.
i like it, maybe we can do something similar, but we have to brainstrom it and if maybe we'll add it on our feature request list

Dan

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:31:14 pm »
Quote from: "dan.g"
this is a nice way to check your house status.
i like it, maybe we can do something similar, but we have to brainstrom it and if maybe we'll add it on our feature request list

Dan

Hi,

if I may add few thougths. I like portal like web page - users will be more and more used to such style.

The other thing is that systems like Pluto are about to manage your home and manage your family and life (saddly but true). So I image portal like web page with status info on left and right columns and some kind of blog in center. All events that happen in house, family life, diary entries could appear here, including multimedia material (security movies, pictures from last family event, etc....). it's something like    Infolog feature in Egroupware and I bet it appears in other groupwares or CRMs too...

http://www.egroupware.org/?category_id=42

sooner or later some kind of groupware should appear in Pluto, to run family calendar, reminders, diary, todo lists, shopping lists, house events, etc.. it could be backend - while Pluto takes necessary info out and show it on its GUI interfaces (reminders, todo, )...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Do you want to see nice looking?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:36:04 pm »
This http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=3142 post at http://www.cocoontech.com IS NICE. The owner started with Home Theater control, but has a calendar to add all other parts of home automation. Be sure to open the links to see the pictures. If you register to the site you will see the images inline.

Its beautiful even to non-techie people. Actually, in a touchscreen in your wall it adds to your home decor. There are several other examples of home automation in the Cocoontech ShowCase forum that that is my favorite.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Site improvements
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:39:05 am »
Hi there,

First of all I'd like to say THANKS for all Plutohome developers and people who answer for questions on this forum! It's really helpful place to start and continue using Pluto.

Also, I'd like to give some suggestions which might improve Plutohome support:
1) Setup a development blog where Pluto devlopers will write some ideas, describe current tasks and their profress. Also, they can put there some plans for future, public announces etc. As blog engine I suggest to use Wordpress (www.wordpress.org) which is the best IMHO.
2) Add RSS to the site (for news and announces) and forum. Personally, I have to read a lot of information. It's easy to do via RSS reader.
3) Setup Wiki to store some useful information which currently presents in forum. The problem is it's difficult to find it. Wiki can resolves this problem.

Hope those improvements will help Plutohome to reach the new tops!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 02:53:12 pm »
all these mean more manpower and we are limited.
the programmers usually take some time and answer on forum. i, usually reply on forum and live support. we also have mantis system and email address:support@

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 04:55:15 pm »
Quote from: "dan.g"
all these mean more manpower and we are limited.
the programmers usually take some time and answer on forum. i, usually reply on forum and live support. we also have mantis system and email address:support@

I fully understand limitations (at least I think so  :D ).

I think that some things should get some attention:
- Setting up Wiki would probably take lot less time than value of information that would be put in.

IMHO, there are reasons why Pluto went into open source route - if I can guess, one of strong reasons is that in this way much larger community can take part in testing, developing and writing docs.

I think that if you setup Wiki and enhance communication (mainly support things) with community you would gain lot more that loose time to do it. But that's another longer story.

if you put current Pluto system aside, and figure how complex such ideal system would be and how many features are to be supported then it's quite obvious that limited resources will become even more limited and without help of community this equation will never be solved.

Particularly important is to trully open up system so community can contribute for their favourite HW and SW and you just decide and maintain main source code. But before that clean arhictecture base should be established, with less things hardocoded in programs and more things configurable in mysql...

This is just my humble opinion....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
On documentation
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 05:27:54 pm »
I was trying to wonder why it was taking so much time to me to grab some of the concepts. Then I noticed that I have not seen a single diagram in the whole pluto documentation.

I think that a few diagrams/graphics is time very well invested. You will save thousands words of formal documentation plus answering questions here.

One main candidate for graphical explanation is the architecture of Pluto. Specially how the Devices stack together in the hierarchy; also how the software packages, plugins and devices play together.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 12:05:05 am »
I would also love to see an architectural diagram and explanation of the devices and how they fit together with the pluto libraries.

It would also love to see an explanation of how all the scripts and OS addons fit on top of the Debian installation. I am slowly coming to terms with it, but it is a very steep learning curve.

A wiki would be a good start but I thought that the pluto documentation structure was essentially a moderated wiki. If I edit pages of my installation documentation doesn't it get pulled back into the main documentation (automatically?). I obviously havn't done this but assumed that is what happens.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 09:06:45 am »
Quote from: "darrenmason"

A wiki would be a good start but I thought that the pluto documentation structure was essentially a moderated wiki. If I edit pages of my installation documentation doesn't it get pulled back into the main documentation (automatically?). I obviously havn't done this but assumed that is what happens.

I think this should work, but I must admit that I haven't used it yet...
It just seems hard to decide where to put some info...

Can anyone from Pluto confirm and maybe point us to some more info on how to do this ? And also some guidance where in hierarchy to put informations - maybe putting on one place and someone can review it and put it in right place...

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
An architectura diagram for devices
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 12:32:09 pm »
I found this today under Home>My Devices. It corrected a several misconceptions that I had:
- Core and Core/Hybrid are not mututally exclusive. You have a Core even when you selected to setup a Core/Hybrid in the initial Wizard.
- I assumed that etherne devices, not being physically attached to any computer would be controlled by the DCERouter. I was wrong. They are controlled by the Core. The Core/Hybrid only does Orbiter/MD functions.
-I still dont understand what the App Server is.

My devices
      +CORE
         +DCERouter
         |   +File Grids Plug-in
         |   +General Info Plug-in
         |   +Climate Plug-in
         |   +Datagrid Plug-in
         |   +Infrared Plug-in
         |   +Lighting Plug-in
         |   +Orbiter Plug-in
         |   +Media Plug-in
         |   +Telecom Plug-in